• Talking about stocks is showing off

Votes: 30 25.4%
1541 - 1553 of 1553 Posts

Β·
Registered
2019 Golf R, 2016 Chevy Volt, 2012 BMW M3
2,889 Posts
πŸ’ŽπŸ‘

It's clear that Reddit is below a man of your standing, but if you could bring yourself to stoop to their level you'd see that there's actually a ton of data trawling and discussion based on SEC filings, FINRA data, traditional technical analysis, etc, that someone like you who actually does have knowledge (not sarcasm this time) may find intriguing or able to offer a data based counter argument. But now you're offering empty conjecture of "I've seen this before". You were adamant that everyone sell GME at $40 because the "flowers have wilted" and then it shot up 7x the price and has been maintaining at 5x that price. πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€
Well, You're 22ish, and have lived almost no life.

You haven't lived through stock bubbles, ones that just pop one day leaving retail investors with worthless stock, or at least stock that's lost 75% of its value.
You haven't seen runs that have no correlation to a companies performance, future performance, industry movement, or anything else.
You haven't lived through runups that seem like they will never end, then turn in an instant.

Gold, Bitcoin, tech stocks, now Meme stocks, it's all the same script, just repeated to investors who haven't lived through it before, or haven't learned anything from it.

Just like NFT's, trading cards, and all the other crap people are throwing their money at now. Those have all come and gone before, and soon too will those again be worth nothing.

You want to talk Tesla performance, they lose money without EV credits, plain and simple. I like the company, but it's in a mature industry, not tech. They have no path to the profits they'd need to justify the share price. They have insanely huge capital requirements to create any growth. Their margins aren't currently higher than anyone else in their industry.

You have numbers to refute any of that feel free to present them. Otherwise it is just an overpriced stock supported my memes and people blindly buying based on the LOL's.

Β·
Premium Member
43,683 Posts
but "trading cards" needs an asterisks.

Β·
Registered
360 Posts
Sports cards are like Comic books. Their value is derived from historical context and rarity. Killing Superman was historical, but they printed so many copies that you can still get a mint copy for a stocking stuffer. Rarity in modern sports cards is laughable. Generally, their rarity doesn't matter because of the difficulty in obtaining any historical context. Of course, there's some outliers. (e.g. How much did you pay for your Kaepernick rookie card?)

TCG markets have another aspect to contribute to their value, i.e. in game value.
You didn't need to get in on the ground floor back in the 90's to make money on a Mox Jet. A modern card like "Mana Confluence" can make for a good vehicle to weather a recession.

Β·
Registered
Ci, Xi
1,213 Posts
Well, You're 22ish, and have lived almost no life.

You haven't lived through stock bubbles, ones that just pop one day leaving retail investors with worthless stock, or at least stock that's lost 75% of its value.
I don't disagree that the entire market is a bubble right now. We've been printing money for a year and while yes I haven't lived through too much, I'm also able to recognize something that's not sustainable. But you seem to present yourself as an oracle of stocks, and it's grating.

You have numbers to refute any of that feel free to present them. Otherwise it is just an overpriced stock supported my memes and people blindly buying based on the LOL's.
I'll start with most "tinfoil hat", as the ramifications are fairly intriguing:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GME/comments/mgucv2
GME acknowledging the short squeeze in their earnings report, referencing events in March, well past the report period and the date of the "first squeeze". Warning, there's emojis and people having fun
https://www.reddit.com/r/GME/comments/mfrvgq
Hiding FTDs in options
https://www.reddit.com/r/GME/comments/mhllzf
Related to above
https://www.reddit.com/r/GME/comments/mlt7oz
And this is from the past few days. There's 3 months worth of data. Reddit is a bit over zealous so it would actually be nice to have a pessimist poke some holes. But the holes need to be in the data, not "I know what I'm talking about."

Β·
Registered
2019 Golf R, 2016 Chevy Volt, 2012 BMW M3
2,889 Posts
I don't disagree that the entire market is a bubble right now. We've been printing money for a year and while yes I haven't lived through too much, I'm also able to recognize something that's not sustainable. But you seem to present yourself as an oracle of stocks, and it's grating.

I'll start with most "tinfoil hat", as the ramifications are fairly intriguing:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GME/comments/mgucv2
GME acknowledging the short squeeze in their earnings report, referencing events in March, well past the report period and the date of the "first squeeze". Warning, there's emojis and people having fun

And this is from the past few days. There's 3 months worth of data. Reddit is a bit over zealous so it would actually be nice to have a pessimist poke some holes. But the holes need to be in the data, not "I know what I'm talking about."

Not one of those has anything to do with the over valuation of Tesla, which was the point. I could care less that there was a short squeeze on Gamestop and then retail investors deciding to pump the stock up to squeeze the hedge funds shorting Gamestop.

The original point was Tesla is wildly overvalued, probably by a factor of 40/1. No one ever manages to provide any date here to justify the high price, a way where it can earn enough profits to justify the price, or even a model where it can make even decent margins.

You let me know when that data is available.

Β·
Registered
Ci, Xi
1,213 Posts
I was replying to your dismissal of "yolo meme stocks", I thought that was obvious in my first response. I'm not into TSLA, buy in is too high to get a reasonable amount of shares. The point stands on data vs conjecture, I don't have a dog in the TSLA fight, I would think those who do would pull some figures out for or against.

Β·
Registered
360 Posts
I don't know what the 22yo ad hominem bull**** is about. But I think we can all agree that copy and pasting someone else's analysis as argumentum ad verecundiam in lieu of recontextualisation for a target audience is also a formal fallacy.

e.g. The correlation between wisdom and years is no basis for dismissal. However rote recitation of someone else's work doesn't illustrate understanding and lends a type of credibility to mistaking that correlation as causation.

i.e. You're both wrong and must surrender one internets each from your winnings.

Β·
Registered
Ci, Xi
1,213 Posts
I'll give up 2 internet's. Take it or leave it.

Tbf, how much data am I supposed to rewrite and explain myself when there's loads of essays to comb through and consolidate? I'm skipping my essay and going straight to the bibliography

Β·
Registered
Model 3P, AP2 S2K, 981 Boxster S
3,754 Posts
What helps with Tesla is that you have real funds like Ark and very public people like Cathie Wood with these crazy forecasts. And then they become true. And she looks like a wizard with crazy returns. So it's not just lil reddit fanboys making money but heavier hitters who you'd assume have done their DD.

Β·
Registered
2,953 Posts
what happened to Aseras and his $1B in BTC? I can only assume he's cashed out and on a yacht somewhere in the Caribbean... or eating last night's dominos that he left out on his mom's coffee table.

The original point was Tesla is wildly overvalued, probably by a factor of 40/1. No one ever manages to provide any date here to justify the high price, a way where it can earn enough profits to justify the price, or even a model where it can make even decent margins.
You let me know when that data is available.
Right?! accounting for the split, TSLA was at ~$40 2 years ago (that's ~22/1 from the high in Jan '21). What's changed since then to increase the company's value +1,200% beside memes, Musk tweets, fanbois, increased sales of the model 3 (at a loss), a pandemic that lowered production and sales, a non-existent cyber truck, and an ever decreasing number of EV credit sales (their only source of income in the automotive space)? Tesla has a 3.5% market share, yet is valued at more than the top 5 larger share holding competitors... combined.

Β·
Premium Member
43,683 Posts
Right?! accounting for the split, TSLA was at ~$40 2 years ago (that's ~22/1 from the high in Jan '21). What's changed since then to increase the company's value +1,200% beside memes, Musk tweets, fanbois, increased sales of the model 3 (at a loss), a pandemic that lowered production and sales, a non-existent cyber truck, and an ever decreasing number of EV credit sales (their only source of income in the automotive space)? Tesla has a 3.5% market share, yet is valued at more than the top 5 larger share holding competitors... combined.
and wework was 'estimated' as a 150 million dollar company and what is it now ;)

1541 - 1553 of 1553 Posts