VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its an 84 rabbit. New engine(1.7l 8v), tranny(4 speed), clutch. He says the body is perfect except for a small dent on the rear bumper. New paint job. The only thing is that has a carb on it. I'm not too familiar with carbs. 170k on the car, 5k on engine and tranny. He wants $800 for it. Is this a smokin deal?
tyler

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Re: should I buy this rabbit? (brotherzvr6)

Wouldn't an '84 have had a 5-speed? Between the 4-speed and the carb, it sort of sounds like it may have started life as a diesel...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: should I buy this rabbit? (vanaguy)

I think it's a 4 speed. But i assumed that with how old the car is. So is that 1.7l a good motor or not. I'm a VR person so I know nothing about this mk1 sh$t.
tyler

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Re: should I buy this rabbit? (brotherzvr6)

It's pretty hard to find a 4 speed in any of the 80's cars unless it's a diesel. Plus, all of the A1's in NA were fuel injected well before 1984. If you're unfamiliar with the early cars, are you sure it's carbureted? Look for braided steel fuel lines- 5 of them- running to the engine.
If it's carbed, I'd say pass on it just because you may have a problem getting it smogged. CO law is that a car must be equipped with emissions gear commensurate with it's year of manufacture, so even if it's a diesel that's been converted, a carb would not pass the visual inspection.
The 1.7 is a solid little motor. I have one in my '84 Jetta. They like to rev a little quicker than the bigger motors. An '84 1.7L should have the terrible 4-into-1 exhaust manifold, so your first step would be to replace it with an earlier 4-into-2 manifold & downpipe, for something like an 8-10% power boost. Even then, you will only be at 74 HP- compare that to a 1984 GTI with a 1.8L motor and 90 HP. Of course, you can add a euro cam and bump it up a little...
Are you tall? I'm 6'3" or so, and I can't stand the 4-door version of the Rabbit just because the "B" pillar ends up being right next to my head, and the seat belt was out in front of me instead of resting on my shoulder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts