VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard this is a pita since the two are not compatable and if mixed, would turn to gel, but should prevent me from having to do it as often. I mistakenly put in Prestone and need to flush anyway, what do you think?

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Re: Should I change coolant from G11 to G12? (jeglseder)

quote:[HR][/HR]I heard this is a pita since the two are not compatable and if mixed, would turn to gel, but should prevent me from having to do it as often. I mistakenly put in Prestone and need to flush anyway, what do you think?[HR][/HR]​
It's not exactly a PITA....just flush your system and swap to G-12
http://www.germanautoparts.com sells a flush addative, and the G-12, run the flush for like 30 minutes of driving with your fan on, then disconnect the lower hose going into the rad, and empty the system...connect the hose, fill it up with a garden hose 100%...drain, and repeat till the drained is clear...then fill it up 50/50 G-12/Distilled H2O...Also, when I did mine, I replaced the waterpump and assembly, thermostat, and fan switch, you may want to also consider this as your system will be empty at the time.
If you do decided to replace your waterpump...then also buy the two belts you will be removing and replace those..as they will need to come off anyway
WHOOOOOOOOO 1500 posts

[Modified by Pagano, 3:52 PM 4-6-2002]

[Modified by Pagano, 3:53 PM 4-6-2002]

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Re: Should I change coolant from G11 to G12? (vr6willeatyou)

basically just continually empty, fill with 100% water, run the system, empty again, and repeate the process untill only water comes out, and not green water

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.