VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I have a 96 GLX 5 speed manual tranny and was wondering if anyone has changed the fluid in theirs?
I have around 125,000 Km (79,000 m) on my car and sometimes it doesn't want to go into gear very smooth.
Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: Should I Change my Tranny Fluid? (Seymore)

Ok, I don't know if this is true or not, but I just looked this up where I work, which is a chevy/buick dealership, but they said the passat has "permanant brake and tranny fluid" somehow. So I don't think that is something you normally have to change. I could be wrong though, I'm curious if anyone else knows what I'm talking about. Well, hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Re: Should I Change my Tranny Fluid? (Seymore)

It is intended to be lifetime I believe. Generally people will change it to upgrade to a synthetic fluid like Redline, or if there has been any tranny problem. You probably need to check the shifter cable adjustments, assuming your clutch isn't dragging.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Re: Should I Change my Tranny Fluid? (A2B4guy)

Brake fluid, is NEVER lifetime. It should be replaced and flushed at LEAST every two years as it absorbs moisture in the environment, and never evaporates.... causing rust forming inside your brake system, leading to failures.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Re: Should I Change my Tranny Fluid? (Hindenburg)

anyone know how often tranny fluid should be changed, every 20/50/100,000? What about brake fluid. Is every two years about right, tia.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I'm also interested in this... My 5 speed is really hard to get into 1st gear sometimes. All other gears go in fine, but sometimes you really have to fight 1st, but sometimes it just goes in...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Re: (Ghetto Gamer)

Quote »
My 5 speed is really hard to get into 1st gear sometimes

I have this exact same problem. I think the gears are just lining up wrong, feels like the teeth are hitting tip on tip and not sliding in place, just gotta let the clutch out a little and back to get it in. This seems to have gotten worse over the years though, witch really makes me wonder what shape the trannys in. Also reverse is really loud and whiney, also seems louder than before, anyone else have that, do you think my trannies gettin dry?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts