VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Banned
8,662 Posts
Re: Should i do an engine flush b4 switchin to sythetic (jok3sta)

That and run a couple 12oz. bottles of Chevron Techron in ~1/2 a tank of fuel before draining the old oil. Techron gets rid of carbon build-up...but most of it ends up in the crankcase.

· Registered
1,420 Posts

just cleans everything up a lil before chaning oil, might as well do it before you change oil....not really having to do with the switch just the change

· Registered
1,451 Posts
Re: Should i do an engine flush b4 switchin to sythetic (mavric)

Depends on the brand of Natural that you are running and the brand of syth that you want to go to.
In the past it was advisable to drain the natural well, put in the synth, run it for about 1k miles/kms, then change it again. Apparently the natural will clump together(not in a solid mass), and then will drain out with the synth.
I have heard in several places that Mobil 1 sythetics and Naturals are 100% compatible anf therefore no flushing is necessary. I heard the same for Castrol GTX and Syntech. I would call your local VW specialst shop, they might have some insight as to what is better.

· Registered
2,692 Posts
Re: Should i do an engine flush b4 switchin to sythetic (MrVrSix)

Yes add in a flush. It is not the compatibility between the syn and the old oil that is the concern. Adding the flush will clean out a lot of the sludge that is sticking to every thing inside the engine.
Full syn has a very good cleaning action so it is better to get rid of as much of this sludge now and not letting it go into your new expensive oil.
A different way you can go is drain the old oil poor in 5 quarts of new DIRT ASS CHEAP oil and 1 quart engine flush. Let the car idle and come up to temp then drain. Then change the filter and add the new SYN.. After this you are good to go for at least 5000 miles.
I use engine flush every couple of oil changes..

· Registered
9,499 Posts

i dont see the point of a flush unless your oils commin out VERY dirty , i mean synthetic oil itself is gonna start cleanin anyway thats why people sometime start leaking after the switch

· Registered
2,692 Posts
Re: Should i do an engine flush b4 switchin to sythetic (SSj4G60)

Well if he has been using cheap oil for 75,000 miles and depending on how the car has been maintained then it is good stuff.
Hell it is not like it costs a lot and it does a good job of cleaning the engine. Brand does not matter.. I pay like 1.50 for a Quart..
For this first change from cheap oil to good oil it is a very good idea so that your expensive oil is not turned to dirty oil in the first few hundred miles.

· Registered
11,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Should i do an engine flush b4 switchin to sythetic (Scooter98144)

Quote, originally posted by Scooter98144 »
Well if he has been using cheap oil for 75,000 miles and depending on how the car has been maintained then it is good stuff.
Hell it is not like it costs a lot and it does a good job of cleaning the engine. Brand does not matter.. I pay like 1.50 for a Quart..
For this first change from cheap oil to good oil it is a very good idea so that your expensive oil is not turned to dirty oil in the first few hundred miles.

yah thats what i was thinking because i know the syn has detergents in it and i dont want the old crap swiming around in it

· Registered
202 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jok3sta »

yah thats what i was thinking because i know the syn has detergents in it and i dont want the old crap swiming around in it

I don't recommend a flush.I think using something like Gunk can cause problems.What happens if you clogged the pickup screen
?
All current SL rated motor oils have detergents in them
.There are no bad oils out there anymore but some have better base stock and better additive packs.
Synthetics are known for their cleaning due to their usually higher additive packs and esters in the oil but they aren't the only game in town if you want a clean engine.Something like a Delo 400 15W40 has loads of cleaning additives.
Another good choice with conventional oils is Chevron Supreme.
Visit bobistheoilguy.com to learn more about engine cleaners and motor oils

Modified by 300B at 3:25 PM 11-19-2004

· Registered
11,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Should i do an engine flush b4 switchin to sythetic (300B)

Quote, originally posted by 300B »
I don't recommend a flush.I think using something like Gunk can cause problems.What happens if you clogged the pickup screen
?
All current SL rated motor oils have detergents in them
.There are no bad oils out there anymore but some have better base stock and better additive packs.
Synthetics are known for their cleaning due to their usually higher additive packs and esters in the oil but they aren't the only game in town if you want a clean engine.Something like a Delo 400 15W40 has loads of cleaning additives.
Another good choice with conventional oils is Chevron Supreme.
Visit bobistheoilguy.com to learn more about engine cleaners and motor oils

Modified by 300B at 3:25 PM 11-19-2004

oh im changin the oil pump also when i do the oil change so that shoudl work out even better

· Registered
1,814 Posts

I run synthetic blend,10w40,from walmart,about $1.74 a quart
,it works.try it,btw I change my oil and filter every 5000 miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.