VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about $1000 to spend, Which one is consider as a good investment? I have a 01 AWW GTI with GIAC chip and thinking if one of them give more possibility to tune in the future. Or should I save for the APR stage 3? please give me your opinion, thanks.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Re: Should I go with KO4 or turbo-back exhaust (CalDub)

Two comments on this:
1. The turbo on your car is almost a K04 already. Not a big reason to upgrade.
2. No one to my knowledge makes chip tuning for the K04 for our AWW engines.
Now, you may be saying 'You just want to sell an exhaust'... not true.. because I also asked the same thing you did a while ago.. decided to go against the K04 upgrade, because its just not worth it. The exhaust makes more hp!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Re: Should I go with KO4 or turbo-back exhaust (DaBlackJetta)

i think i have to agree withh dablackjetta, ive seen numbers on this forum with k04 and they jus dont seem that impressive. i like DBJ's numbers alot betta and he spent less money, and from other post ive read on the exhaust, your gonna feel the difference like crazy....
cant wait til i get enuff money to get that exhaust....ahhh dreams of a poor college student

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Re: Should I go with KO4 or turbo-back exhaust (GoGTIGo)

Turbo-back - the K03 "sport" as it seems to have become known is too close to the K04 to realize enough gains for the $$. There's also the issue of it not spooling up quite as quickly as the K03 whereas the turbo-back will actually improve your spool up.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Re: Should I go with KO4 or turbo-back exhaust (CalDub)

Get the 3" turbo back system. It's a no brainer for an AWW car and still a better upgrade/$ for an AWD car. The K04, once you factor in software and install, is a lot more than $1000. Exhaust install (professional) will run $100 or so. I have an AWD engine and the exhaust makes a big difference IF you are chipped to 1 bar or more of boost. The Upsolute .8 bar chip wasn't all that impressive with the 3" exhaust.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Re: Should I go with KO4 or turbo-back exhaust (dbrowne1)

I would get the 3"TB exhaust on an AWW. Like others have said, getting a K04 is almost useless for your car. So IMO, you either get the exhaust or, wait until you can pony up for a T3 Super60 and the requisite parts needed to make it produce good, safe power.

Senna, I would upgrade to the K04 on an AWD. That's what I plan to do, as soon as I upgrade the I/C on my NB. I got the DP because it was convenient. The rest of the exhaust will be the last thing I upgrade.
My "upgrade tree" is looking like this...
already done...
3"DP
BMC CDA CAI
4 bar FPR (leftover)
Next...
SMIC, TT vent and lower I/C pipe. (will be done within 2-4 months. I'm working on some sort of bumper to I/C shroud, that will better force air up to the I/C, like Stillen does on its 300ZX Intercoolers)
After that. In one shot...
K04, injectors, programming. (like 6 months from now. Before summer for sure)
Later, if I feel like it...
3" CB exhaust and 3" hi-flo cat...
I want power but, reliability and a QUIET ride are just as important. Also, I have avoided chipping my car, since doing so pissed my wife off (why, I have no idea) and, my car seems to be unusually strong in its stock form. Jim Wilson can attest to that.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Re: Should I go with KO4 or turbo-back exhaust (Senna 1.8T)

quote:[HR][/HR]DBJ,
Would you upgrade to K04 on an AWD? (mine
)
Do you know anyone with AWD, K04 and turbo back exhaust? Wondering the numbers/dyno with all this ...
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​
I have an awd with K04..I think I will dyno this weekend....I will post numbers hopefully next week.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Should I go with KO4 or turbo-back exhaust (jasonhouse)

Thanks guys! I think I will go with the TB instead of KO4, but now which one? I heard APR is coming with their system soon, do anyone have more info on this?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Re: Should I go with KO4 or turbo-back exhaust (Arsenal35)

quote:[HR][/HR]Jason,
Sounds good! Where are you getting all your stuff from? Intercooler and K04?
[HR][/HR]​
I got the intake from Ralf at the "TheRaceStore", my 3"DP from Chris (Ballin Audi).
I'll get the SMIC from Forced performance, since this is the only place I know of to get it, unless one of the Texas guys knows a place (wasn't it 1.8BillyT who first got the SMIC?). I want a STEALTHY look. I utterly and categorically refuse to get a FMIC.
The lower IC pipe prolly from Neuspeed or, whoever has the best price at the time.
I'll get the TT vent from whatever source is cheapest. Somebody offered me one the other day via IM but, I never got his e-mail address and, I forget his screen name. (damn!) For the shroud, I have access to the install shop at Sound Advice and, I'll just fab it from some ABS plastic, a heat gun, some metal back straps (to mount it) and some rivets.
And I'll prolly source the K04, injectors and programming from Jim/Upsolute/Bug Power as soon as they have the K04 kit figured out and, I get the balls to buy it. Prolly after I see a few folks drive around without blowing up.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Re: Should I go with KO4 or turbo-back exhaust (jasonhouse)

Jason,
Use the 'My Profile' link to go view your past instant messages. Pretty cool.. you can see all of your old instant messages!
(assuming that you used the vortex instant messanger. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif )

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Re: Should I go with KO4 or turbo-back exhaust (TurboDave18t)

quote:[HR][/HR]Question for ya guys.....does a cat-back or even turbo-back make any gains on a non-chipped car?[HR][/HR]​
Yes, depending on several factors. If you have a 2002 (180hp) any of the above should give you significant gains. An exhaust, particularly a 3" turboback system, will give proportionally greater gains in a chipped car because there is more boost and fuel going in, therefore more exhaust gas to shoot out, so a free-breathing system will help even more.
My own experience says that the 3" turboback systems don't give a huge gain until you get to 1 bar of boost. You may actually LOSE some torque at lower RPMs and partial throttle. I put my system on last week while I had a 0.8 bar chip installed, and I was less than impressed by the gain. I put my 1.1 bar chip in and HOLY $HIT did it move. MUCH faster than with just the 1.1 bar chip.
A nice 2.5" catback might make sense, but I can't recommend that you get a 3" turboback unless you have a 1 bar chip. It's a lot of money anyway...why not spend 1/3 of the cash and get a chip?

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Re: Should I go with KO4 or turbo-back exhaust (dbrowne1)

DBJ is right. Go with exhaust. I got a respectable 25whp increase with my K04 and exhaust, 3" TB exhaust alone would have got me 15whp+. With the exhaust you get less lag than chipped K03 so area under the curve is most likely the same.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.