VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Should I part out my 84 rabbit?

581 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  vrrrrr 
#1 ·
I bought my rabbit last summer as a beater for college and I bought it for 475 dollars. it has proven to be a great investment. It made it through a winter in connecticut and numerous trips from philly to connecticut and back giving me almost no problems at all. But as of late the car has begun to nickel and dime me. On top of the money that i have had to put into it lately there are alot of other minor issues with the car such as the roof leaks and the roof clips dont work bc the roof does reach the front windshield well so i have to use belts to keep the roof closed.
What i am wondering is if i should part the car out and make enough money to invest in a nicer beater or should put some more money in my rabbit and keep goin with it. How much could i possible get from parting out an entire car?
My latest issue with the rabbit is i just finished replacing the alternator and as soon as i drove the car i went about 5 miles and the oil light turned on and wont go off even though the oil level is fine

thanks in advance http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

See less See more
#7 ·
Re: (burn_your_money)

Quote, originally posted by burn_your_money »
Buy a good car, transfer parts over and sell whats left, otherwise you'll be buying back your parts

well i was thinking of perhaps buying something newer like an mkii jetta or even about mkiii just because they seem to be so cheap, i could get a decent gti or jetta for around 1500

#11 ·
Re: (justinvw84)

don't part it out...you won't make any money plus the time/labor tearing it down AND shipping everything will make it ultimately worthless. Trust me...I've been parting out VWs for years(check my bio).
You'd be better off selling it complete as a running vehicle.
About that oil light, hook up a oil pressure gauge on the head and if it checks good, pull the oil pressure relay so the light will go away. Problem solved.
Good luck.
Jason

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.