VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question,

I am looking to purchase an exhaust for my 2013 MK6 GTI, and I am going back and forth on whether to do a full exhaust with DP, or just buy the catback? I do not plan on ever tuning the vehicle. I want a nicer exhaust tone and look, but if I can get any gains from a DP I would go ahead and purchase that as well.

Any thoughts? Is it worth the extra $500-$600?

Thanks!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Not worth it.

Reasons:
-you'll throw a cell
-void warranty
-actually slow throttle response without a tune.
-won't pass inspection without a tune or spacer.

It's more of a PITA than anything, just get a catback and be done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
945 Posts
Well believe it.

We swap them out with a tune or a spacer to remove the cell. My previous post states that. In the OPs case, if he's not getting a tune then there is no need to get a downpipe because it's more of a pain in the ass to pass inspections or remove the cell for something that will actually be worse for the car. The car needs back pressure and by adding a downpipe you'll be increasing the air flow thus causing back pressure to be less. A tune would push more air and allow for more back pressure but without it there is no need to upgrade. This is my opinion on the matter so take as you wish.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Well believe it.

We swap them out with a tune or a spacer to remove the cell. My previous post states that. In the OPs case, if he's not getting a tune then there is no need to get a downpipe because it's more of a pain in the ass to pass inspections or remove the cell for something that will actually be worse for the car. The car needs back pressure and by adding a downpipe you'll be increasing the air flow thus causing back pressure to be less. A tune would push more air and allow for more back pressure but without it there is no need to upgrade. This is my opinion on the matter so take as you wish.

I didn't mean to come across as rude, sorry if I did. I agree that without a tune, swapping the DP would be a pain in the a.ss.

I didn't know if that when you got a tune, through APR or whatever, if that fixed the CEL or if it would still throw a code and you'd have to keep erasing it in VAG-COM.

·
Registered
945 Posts
No problem man, I wasn't trying to be rude either. I believe APR just hides the code. There are a few posts on here about people not passing even with a tune but I havnt had this issue. APR does have the software to erase the code but it will come back without the stage 2 tune

·
Registered
461 Posts
This guy is confused.
You want the least amount of back pressure possible on a turbocharged car. Yes, this may create more "lag," but on a stock K03 GTI any of this said lag will be negligible. The DP will most likely throw a CEL even with spacers, just throw a small piece of black electrical tape over that thing. You'll hardly notice it. If you live in a state where emissions are not a big deal go catless. I dont have a tune and have no intentions of getting one. I've been running a catless SPM dp to stock catback for months. It sounds great, adds some needed high end pick up, and there is no drone under normal throttle. My wife still has no idea I even put it on. If you can handle ignoring the CEL it is the best mod you will make, if your not planning on tuning.

Well believe it.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Not confused. Makes no sense at all to add a dp to the car if you have no intention of making more power. You will not pass emissions. Sorry but electrical tape won't hide the code. While you don't want a lot of back pressure you still need it... You will make the car have more "lag" with more airflow on the stock setup. Yes, the object is to have more air flowing through but not at the expense of spool. AWE did a test of their dp which is 2.5" to a competitors 3" dp. The test found that on the stage 1 or 2 tune the 2.5" dp held up just fine. Their is a reason all their products are 2.5". Oh and they run it on a car the does 11s in the 1/4 mile. My point being is that if te goal were to truly get the most air flow then we would be opting for 4-5" dps lol. There is a happy medium and for the OPs needs, there is no reason to get the dp and deal with the added baggage without the tune.

·
Registered
671 Posts
If you get a downpipe with a high flow cat you will not throw a cel. However if you go catless (being you don't have a state inspection) you will unless you run a spacer in your second o2 sensor after where the cat would be. I had a 42dd downpipe catless and non resonated on stock tune before I went unitronic stage 2 and noticed quite a difference. The turbo spooled up much faster and harder, it's still quiet when your cruising until you get on it then it's got a nice throaty sound which I love in my opinion, and I never noticed a slower throttle response at all if anything I feel the throttle response was improved. That's my two cents. The less restriction you have getting air in and exhaust out, the better the car will run and perform. So id say go with just a downpipe with an o2 sensor if you go catless:thumbup:

·
Registered
945 Posts
just do a cat back without a tune.. or full exhaust with a tune.. you can build a full 3 inch turboback ( billy boat down pipe and magnaflow catback ) for 800 bucks.
Please explain where because I want to know haha. Magnaflow Cat-backs go for $730+ alone right now. If you know a place with a decent price pm me haha

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.