VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 VR6 GTI, I've always loved the beetles......
Are the new Snap Orange Beetles the 180 HP 1.8t???
What would I be losing(feature wise) by going to the Beetle...???
Thanks!
Jon

·
Registered
479 Posts
Re: Should I switch??? Help me decide... (Mackie-1604)

You'd be losing the smooth torque of the VR6! But if you get the 1.8t it would have more torque with the chip and more performance.

·
Registered
10,140 Posts

No, the Snap Orange does not have the 180hp engine, it's still the 150hp.
However, if you can wait another couple months, there's a Turbo S model coming out. It's supposed to have a different body kit, same interior treatments as the Snap Orange, and it will have the 180hp engine and 6 speed.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts

You'd lose any trip-computer that you may have. IE that thing that reports milages etc etc. the beetle has a speedo, a tach, a fuel guage, an odometer, a tripmeter, a clock and an outside temperature guage. That's it. Oh, and lots of 'dummy lights'.
That is... as far as the instrument cluster goes. I'd suggest you get the Turbo S. But don't expect to get nearly as much of an increase out of it as the other beatles do when you chip it. Most of the changes to get to the 180hp is software changes. I'm sure there's other things, probably a better FPR, maybe bigger injectors, possibly a slightly different turbo.
But the tuning possibilities are nice... (I don't think it'd compare w/a turbo'd vr6 though)....

noR

·
Registered
702 Posts

You'd loose space in the rear seats and hatch area if you care. And some smoothness. And that high-rpm fun of the VR6. And the regular Beetle seats are not as nice as the GTI seats. But the Beetle sport seats look like an improvement.
But you'd gain lots of low-end torque. And fuel economy. You can chip a current Beetle to 180hp, or you can wait for the Turbo-S and get a 6 speed as well.
Go drive a 1.8T. Its quite different from the VR6. Both are nice, just very different.
Tom
98 GTI (VR6)
00 Bug (1.8T)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts

Traitor!

Go to a dealer and spend some time with the interior of the NB and test drive the 1.8T.
Here's the downside in my opinion
-The instrument cluster: the Tachometer is real small and there is no temperature gage. Instead, there is a little blue icon that goes off when the car is warmed up, but no dial gage.
-The body color trim at the top of the doors has a down market look compared to the way the other MK4 doors
-there isn't much rear headroom (the GTi has headroom for rear passingers)
-the C-pilar is right next to the heads of passingers in the rear seat (within a few inches).
-the hoop style headrests, while nice looking, aren't nearly as adjustable or as comfortable as the ones in the GTI / Jetta.
-the GTI has more cargo room
-The visibility out of the NB is pretty poor compared to the GTI/Jetta. There is a huge c-pillar blind spot when looking over your shoulder to back up. Its very unclear when seated where exactly the front of the NB snout ends. Also, because of the way the fenders extend beyond the passinger compartment, its a little ambiguous where the side of the car is in tight parking situations.
-No 60/40 split rear seats. Up or down. No ability to carry three people with half of the rear seat laid down.
-The NB has cheap looking/feeling window switchgear
-The little storage nets in the doors look like an afterthought
-No useful map light (its incorporated into the rearview mirror on the NB), which because of how far forward it is, the light isn't in the right place to do the job - it lights the top of the dash not. Your map is at the outer reaches of the little light there is.
-the cup holders (if you're into that kind of thing) are totally useless
On the plus side:
-The 1.8T with the deployable spoiler at 93 mph definitely encourages a more rapid pace
-The stock suspension is a little more sporting than the Jetta VR6
-The seats in the NB 1.8T provide more support than the Jetta seats do.
-The 1.8T NB shifter is a lot less notchy than the one in my VR6
-the headlights are much better (stock)
-VW only put two seatbelts in the back seat (at least they admit only two people should be back there - unlike in the GTi/jetta where they seem to think three people will fit).
-The 1.8T is more tunable than the VR6
-The 1.8T gets better in town gas milage than the VR6
-The 1.8T weighs less than the VR6, so you don't get that nose heavy sensation.
Just some thoughs. I'm just trying to give my honest impressions of the car. Please don't take this as trying to flame the NB or get anyone riled up. If it has, sorry. I do like the NB, but if it were me, I'd keep the GTI.

[Modified by BoraVR6, 11:12 AM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
163 Posts
Re: Should I switch??? Help me decide... (BoraVR6)

quote:[HR][/HR]Traitor!

Go to a dealer and spend some time with the interior of the NB and test drive the 1.8T.
Here's the downside in my opinion
-The instrument cluster: the Tachometer is real small and there is no temperature gage. Instead, there is a little blue icon that goes off when the car is warmed up, but no dial gage.
-The body color trim at the top of the doors has a down market look compared to the way the other MK4 doors
-there isn't much rear headroom (the GTi has headroom for rear passingers)
-the C-pilar is right next to the heads of passingers in the rear seat (within a few inches).
-the hoop style headrests, while nice looking, aren't nearly as adjustable or as comfortable as the ones in the GTI / Jetta.
-the GTI has more cargo room
-The visibility out of the NB is pretty poor compared to the GTI/Jetta. There is a huge c-pillar blind spot when looking over your shoulder to back up. Its very unclear when seated where exactly the front of the NB snout ends. Also, because of the way the fenders extend beyond the passinger compartment, its a little ambiguous where the side of the car is in tight parking situations.
-No 60/40 split rear seats. Up or down. No ability to carry three people with half of the rear seat laid down.
-The NB has cheap looking/feeling window switchgear
-The little storage nets in the doors look like an afterthought
-No useful map light (its incorporated into the rearview mirror on the NB), which because of how far forward it is, the light isn't in the right place to do the job - it lights the top of the dash not. Your map is at the outer reaches of the little light there is.
-the cup holders (if you're into that kind of thing) are totally useless
On the plus side:
-The 1.8T with the deployable spoiler at 93 mph definitely encourages a more rapid pace
-The stock suspension is a little more sporting than the Jetta VR6
-The seats in the NB 1.8T provide more support than the Jetta seats do.
-The 1.8T NB shifter is a lot less notchy than the one in my VR6
-the headlights are much better (stock)
-VW only put two seatbelts in the back seat (at least they admit only two people should be back there - unlike in the GTi/jetta where they seem to think three people will fit).
-The 1.8T is more tunable than the VR6
-The 1.8T gets better in town gas milage than the VR6
-The 1.8T weighs less than the VR6, so you don't get that nose heavy sensation.
Just some thoughs. I'm just trying to give my honest impressions of the car. Please don't take this as trying to flame the NB or get anyone riled up. If it has, sorry. I do like the NB, but if it were me, I'd keep the GTI.
[Modified by BoraVR6, 11:12 AM 11-27-2001][HR][/HR]​
Let me just say this first.....I have had 2 NBs, the first was a '98 and I now have a '00 and my mom has a 1.8t GTI.
*The tac. on the NB is a bit small, but I have never really had a problem with it. I like the design of it
*The visability on the NB is actually wonderful. You can see most everything from inside that car. That is something that makes me feel safe. There is a bit of a blind spot on the driver side windshield. When making a left turn, sometimes you have to move your body forward a bit to make sure you dont hit the medium. With parking and backing up I have had no problem ( I always use my side mirrors to back up, I swirve if I turn my head to look back lol). It is like any car, you have to get to know the dimensions of it.
*The body color on the doors, in my opionion look great and really set the car off.
*As for the map light, in the '98 it was only in the rearview mirror, and yes, that sucked big time. With the '00 they added more lights. There is one right above the driver and passenger near the edge of the celing. I dont know why they did not do that in the first place!!!
*The cup holders are made to fit a can of coke and that is about it. The '02 do have swivel cup holders so you can put larger drinks in there.
*The back seat is really not made for taller people. Unless you dont like them, then you can stick them in the back seat and go over a speed bump really fast!!!
*The spoiler coming up at 93mph is great, and you have the switch that you can put it up whenever you want, the '02 comes up at 45 I think.
*The car gets nice gains with the chip, exhaust, and intake, alone and all together
*The NB is a fun car that surprises the hell out of people when you beat them
*The seats, in my opinion are more comfortable then the GTI's. In my Mom's it has the lumbar support bar, and no matter where I put it, it was very uncomfortable. But my mom loves it, so it is all a matter of what it more comfortable for you.
*The truck space in the NB is not too bad. When the back seat is put down there is quite a bit of room, but like BoraVR6 said, it is the whole back seat that comes down, you cant do just half.
*Gas mileage is great! I get about 350 miles per tank and that is highway/city driving

I have never driven the VR6 before, so I dont know much about how that drives, but from what my boyfriend has said to me, he likes the 1.8T better because it feels like it has more of a kick to it.
I think that what is really going to make your mind up is going to the dealership and driving it. There is going to be pros and cons to both, you just have to decide what your taste are and what your plans are for the car!!! I hope that some of this info helped a bit for you!
Let us know how you like or didnt like the NB!!! Good Luck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: Should I switch??? Help me decide... (Gina)

One misconception that people tend to have about NB's is that they are cramped, That is not the case, as the interior of the car feels incredibly roomy for the front passangers. The black leather interior on a NB is very sharp and comfortable, do get the heated seats if you're in a cold climate. The cupholders are indeed useless. The main instrument cluster is somewhat small at first glance but you do become accustomed to it and you can always add aftermarket gauges. The Turbo is excellent IMHO, I have driven more than a few Porsches but never a turbo before until I got the NB and the turbo is a dream. It really gives the car the quick perky boost feeling!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Re: Should I switch??? Help me decide... (NoSubstitute)

I didn't buy my NB for passengers, To this day I have not had any passengers in the back seats! And if I had to haul passengers I would drive one of my other vehicles, althugh if I do need to drive passengers it's not that bad.
All the differences are all a moot point, the design and shape are classic. Always will be more collectable over time. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by 1.8t, 11:11 AM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Re: Should I switch??? Help me decide... (1.8t)

Classic: maybe
Collectable: doubt it
You're right about one thing: I'd *much* rather be a passinger in an M5 than a NB.

·
Registered
163 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]
You're right about one thing: I'd *much* rather be a passinger in an M5 than a NB.
[HR][/HR]​
I think I would like to be a driver in the M5!
rool:
I will have that car one day!!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts

Just drove home in an '02 GLX Monday. Was going to wait to drive both the 180 Turbo S and the 24v VR6, but employee purchase plan TOO much to resist. Am looking forward to either Split-Second Boost Control or an Upsolute Chip. The NB with the 17"s handles like a million bucks out of the box and can only get better. I think it's more fluid than the GTIs. What a riot!

·
Registered
163 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Gina: I wouldn't mind being a passinger in the M5 as long as I could get the *Star* treatment Madonna got... http://www.bmwfilms.com http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​
That video is great!!!!
LOL!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.