VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, should I??
All this talk about the W8 variant has got me thinking.
With the variant, cargo room is not an issue with the 4motion
stuff taking up room in the trunk.
I have not test driven one yet, but if I do, will I have to have one?
The GLX is paid for, so depending on what they give me, the
w8 should be a low payment....
Does the W8 have timing belts or chains?
I guess I will jus have to test drive one to see how it compares
to the GLX.
Better or worse handling with the indipendant rear suspension?
I know the W8 adds a lot of weight to the car...
My GLX has about 15,000 miles on it at one year of age.
Brett
2003 GLX

·
Registered
706 Posts
Re: Should I trade my 2003 GLX in on a W8 variant??? (Brett1)

Well, ultimately it's your decision, and I may be a bit biased, but get the W8. If you drive one, you'll probably want to buy one.
The W8 has a timing chain.
If you get the W8 with the sports package, the handling is much better.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Should I trade my 2003 GLX in on a W8 variant??? (bk3104)

I went out to my local dealers (cherry hill imports) to test drive one.
If I had liked it, and I likely would have, I would have gone for it, maybe on the spot.
They did not have one, did not know they made one, and havent
had one (the guy said).
The VW dealers never let you down with their extremely poor
service and info. They really bend over backwards to be real stupid.
A car salesman who dont even tell me he could get one?
I asked, he said 'I dont know, maybe'!
So I left.
Love the cars, but VW really needs to do something about the dealers.
Makes me think about something else next time I want a car.
Go to the Jaguar dealers and ask about the X type, and they
know everything about it, have one, let you drive it, and
make you very happy after you buy it, with Jaguar loaner cars
(no rent a car bs), and fix anything you complain about, even
on the used cars.
I think VW could sell a lot of cars if they had someplace to buy them
from, other than a lot with a lot of cars on it and a few stupid
people who wander around on it.
Brett
2003 GLX

·
Registered
2,003 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Brett1 »
I went out to my local dealers (cherry hill imports) to test drive one.
If I had liked it, and I likely would have, I would have gone for it, maybe on the spot.
They did not have one, did not know they made one, and havent
had one (the guy said).

This is pretty funny! Didn't know they made one? Bwahahahaha! Maybe he ought to spend a little time reading a few of the sales brochures off the ole rack there at Cherry Hill Imports.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Should I trade my 2003 GLX in on a W8 variant??? (Altair 4)

Its not funny!
That is why I wont take my car there for service or repair.
The other dealers are burlington and turnersville, not close to work
or home.
Guess I should call then and see if they have any, or have heard of them!
Brett
2003 GLX

·
Registered
173 Posts

I think VW could sell a lot of cars if they had someplace to buy them
from, other than a lot with a lot of cars on it and a few stupid
people who wander around on it.

LOL!!!
As to your dilemma, I have considered the same thing. Although every time I read another post, I get the urge, I think it's wiser to hold back. Get good value and miles out of the one you have and love (read most of your posts), then jump into the B6 and all of its structural/mechanical upgrades in the second MY (after kinks are worked out). What you have will probably continue to be second only to the W8 as far as comparable sedans go for the next couple of years, so you won't date yourself. Actually, I expect several years from now auto-lovers will look back at the b5/.5 and continue to think, "Volkswagen really got it right with that one."
All the rumors here suggest B6 will bring more HP, 6-sp, more room, better suspension. The main difference I have heard of that people have doubts about is the new Haldex 4-mo system. Don't know if that's a make-or-break for you. Otherwise, your choice is really improved engine now, or improved car in 2-3 years.
In all cases, happy 'dubbin.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Should I trade my 2003 GLX in on a W8 variant??? (NYStateOfMind)

I dont know if its final, but the pictures I have seen of the new Passat
look ugly to me, like a cross between a chrysler and a nissan.
Its the stupid looking grill I think.
A W8 variant would be a classic tho, and more cargo room than the GLX, 4motion, dual exhaust(so cool), and power to spare!
Downsides, fuel consumption (I dont care much about that) and
the pain it will be to work on it (I do all my own work).
Looked at the taureg, looked very nice inside, lots
of gauges on the dash (love that), to bad its a truck.
It had noisy looking tires on it, and likely does not have a luxury
ride. i might like one if I did not hate SUV's so much.
Same price as the W8 variant.
The patheon is too expensive (new) and has to many gizmos
on it for me, air suspension, sat nav, etc.

I will likely just keep the GLX, I do love it still.

Brett
2003 GLX

·
Registered
5,053 Posts

I think you might under-estimate the 'egg. It has many awards based upon drive off *and* on road, especially with air suspension. yes, it is a SUV, but a damn good one.
I would sport one If I could have:
6spd manual
V5 TDi
Won't happen in the states. I need to convince my wife to move to Frankfurt for her work and I can get almost any IT position

I want the W8, but my wallet says, wait.
I ask for what, it doesn't answer.
I guess the next step is a 2.7TT A6 wagon, Allroad or S6 Wagon?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Re: Should I trade my 2003 GLX in on a W8 variant??? (pipes)

Sorry, man, but how many of us here have bought our cars based upon the knowledege of the sales guy on the lot...
Come on now, dont' you know that they(sales people;at least most of them) only know anything at all about these cars unless people like us come there and tell them something...
You could have asked for a V10 TDI Passat Variant, told the salesman your friend just bought one there a week ago and he probably would have believed you. Buy/drive the car somewhere else...

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I called burlington VW, pain in the butt recored message when you
call sales.
The guy said they had no W8 variants, maybe one at the port.
(Port?)
He did not know the color.
They must have sold all of them, or just dont get them, I suspect
they dont get/order them.
Wont get much of a deal if they have to order one....
Brett
2003 GLX

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Should I trade my 2003 GLX in on a W8 variant??? (cooleremail)

Quote, originally posted by cooleremail »
Sorry, man, but how many of us here have bought our cars based upon the knowledege of the sales guy on the lot...
Come on now, dont' you know that they(sales people;at least most of them) only know anything at all about these cars unless people like us come there and tell them something...
You could have asked for a V10 TDI Passat Variant, told the salesman your friend just bought one there a week ago and he probably would have believed you. Buy/drive the car somewhere else...

..................................................................................................
Yes, I remember telling the dealers where the owners manual goes,
and they all came running over, thinking it was so cool!
So sad...
Brett
2003 GLX

·
Registered
190 Posts

Brett,
This is a great thread. I'm sure many of us dream about trading up to a W8 (especially those of us with the 1.8T at 150hp). I have never had the opportunity to drive a W8, but I can only imagine it's as good as I read the the B5 forum. My only concern is the long-term cost of ownership. For instance, dropping the motor to replace the oxygen sensor seems a bit outrageous to me. Given that, the only way I would ever consider owning a W8 is if I coughed up the dough to extend the warranty--assuming that warranty would cover items like oxygen sensors. Otherwise, I'd lease it for four years and turn it in when the 4/50 bumper-to-bumper runs out. I thought the advice above about waiting for the B6 was great, that's the fence I'm currently sitting on as well.
BTW, I have driven a V8 Touareg with air suspension and navi. Let me tell you, this is one luxurious vehicle. If it weren't for the commanding view of the road, you would never know that you are in an SUV. The motor was taken from the Audi A8 and together with the Aisin 6-speed automatic, the ride is remarkable. Go test drive one, along with a W8 variant. Just get out of New Jersey to do it. Try a dealer around Philadelphia or Norristown, PA. Any dealer can do a search for you and tell you where the vehicles are that you have an interest in (i.e. 2003 or 2004 W8 variant w/sport package). They can locate specific colors and option combinations. If it doesn't exist, then you are forced to order what you want. These W8's are not selling. You should be able to pick one up for roughly the same (list) price as a GLX 4Motion. Perhaps even less if you can locate a 2003. But let us know what you find and drive.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts

..................................................................................................
Yes, I remember telling the dealers where the owners manual goes,
and they all came running over, thinking it was so cool!
So sad...
Brett
2003 GLX

You think that is bad, my friend and I stood by as two service underwriters tried to argue that his 20V motor was not covered by the then, 2yr/24K free service at the 15K interval, "only the 1.8T was." Then, after explaining to him that the 1.8T and the 20V motor were one in the same, he called over another service underwriter to look under the hood who then asked "it's not the diesel right?"

The great thing now is that dealership, upon us talking to the powers at be, let those service underwriters go and hired some with actual intelligence and product knowledge. So if the sales guy/gal was as bad as you say, then perhaps it is deserving of a phone call to the GM to describe your experience and why he was not getting your business. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by cooleremail at 6:02 PM 2-12-2004

·
Registered
25 Posts

I had a 2000 GLX V6 Variant and a 2002 GLX V6 Variant and then I made the mistake of driving a W8.
Needless to say, I'm driving a 2003 W8 Variant and have ordered a 2004.5 W8 Variant (in Samoa Red) to make sure I have the last issue of this luscious car. It's truly a dream and the motor is a guy thing to the max.
What I do is go to the VW website, go to the tab to find a dealer near me and then go to the individual dealer websites and check inventory. You are not likely to find much stock of W8's especially 2004. But there are still a few 2003 on dealer lots out west.
Good luck. You won't regret moving up to the W8.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Should I trade my 2003 GLX in on a W8 variant??? (rexflash)

Well, since no one around seems to have one, and I would not
likely find my color anyway, I would not likely get any kind of deal on it. With the loss on my car and no deal, it would likely be expensive.
To bad I did not consider the W8 variant when buying a car, but was
sort of turned off by the thought of owning a station wagon!
My wife loves the idea though, not sure why...
I can see, with the extra cargo space of the variant, it would
be a great car, 4motion and independant rear suspension,
W8 power, timing CHAINS, and cool dual exhaust!
Fortunetly, I do love my GLX, so I am not to bummed out...
Brett
2003 GLX

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was looking for a car to replace my wife's 98 Volvo Cross country. That Volvo is a great car except for the viscous drive which fails every 50K (out of warrantee) at a cost of $2000 (mine had failed twice). After driving the 03 W8 wagon with Sport package, I dropped all consideration of the other cars that I tested i.e., Chrysler wagon (liked the automatic opening rear hatch), Suburu (liked the heated windshield) and all of the Volvo wagon models. The didn't compare in handling, power, warrantee, amenities and value, not to mention looks! To date the only complaint I have is the electronic accelerator pedal is too sensitive from a standing start and it is a little short on interior storage because the 4Motion eats up the space under the rear deck cover where the spare is. The power really doesn't come on until around 3000 RPM and then you know you have a car that could cruise easliy on the autobon at 120 MPH! I love this car almost as much as my 63 Mercedes 220 SEb cabriolet.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Re: (whale)

Quote, originally posted by whale »
Suburu (liked the heated windshield)

If you want a heated windshield, there is one available for the W8!! Call Dan at http://www.hillsideimports.com and he can get you one. He just put his in on his W8 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
748 Posts

Brett1 - if your wife won't kill you over it, and you can afford it, then do it - and get a 6-speed sports suspension wagon - then pick your colors!
You only live once and the car is unique!
(I might get one still, but my wife will not understand...)

·
Registered
240 Posts

Brett, your experience is unfortunate. when i purchased mine i happened to be in texas. i called the dealers back home to see if they could deal. the dealer at home that i went with was able to pull up any car in the country on his computer. he was able to tell me what options the car in texas had and that there were four similar cars (essentially same color scheme) in new england and that he would be able to lay hands on one by trading the W8 he had on his lot with a dealer that had one i wanted.
if you want it, i would try and find one and just test drive it to make sure you like it. if that dealer turns out to be an ****** then get on the phone.
there are a few dealers on the forum, they might be able to help you locate a car as well.
good luck!

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Re: Should I trade my 2003 GLX in on a W8 variant??? (zedbyers)

I think about this on occasion. At the time that I bought my 03 variant I had no idea the W8 was going to be so deeply discounted - had I, I might have held out for one. As it is, it would be stupid for me to take the depreciation hit on a 6 month old car and I also have a pipe dream of installing some fire-breathing turbo kit in the wagon at some point.
Whenever I see one it usually tugs a heartstring tho...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts