VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Tune or No Tune?

• Don't Tune it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tune it, blow it up, buy another mk4, repeat.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna tune my 200k mile gti 1.8t, but I am not sure if it is worth it and I am looking for input on it.

I have done a list of things within 10k miles:
VR6 clutch conversion
Timing and water pump
Red coil pack w/ plugs
3" CTS down pipe to 3" techtonics non-res
034 DV
CTS Air intake
Stoptech All around breaks
Tires, 18" wheels
Solo werks coilovers

What else should I do to keep this car running good? What kind of maintenance should I do (intake mani gasket, head gaskets, new injectors, fuel pump, carbon clean, fuel rail, any specific hoses/lines in the bay to replace?) <--- anything like this to worry about before tuning?

I want to go stage 2 unitronics as my local shop offers their tune. Is it a good idea? I have had the car from an old lady bone stock from 187k and I do not wanna blow up the car or ever get rid of it. I just wanna know peoples experience with tuning with high miles like mine and if its worth it.

Any input or experiences would help a lot, thank you.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
496 Posts
Unitronics is a reputable tuner. I would say go for it. My only suggestion would be to add a catch can. When I serviced my intercooler I poured about a cup full of oil out of my intercooler and I only have 60k on the clock.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I motoza stage 1 tuned my 175k mile GLI and it was 100% worth it. It seems like you already have the supporting mods, but each tuner specifies their "recommendations". Just verify what they require for stage 2 and youre good. No reason not to do it just because of the mileage. Do it!

edit: Heres unitronics list for stage 2.
Required Hardware
  • Upgraded Downpipe
Recommended Hardware
  • Cold Air Intake or Short Ram
  • Upgraded (DV) Diverter Valve
  • Upgraded Intercooler
Looks like youre good to go!

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Motoza is the way to go. Do it. 200k is nothing if properly maintained and timing belt/water pump done

1 - 5 of 5 Posts