VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on buying a new Golf this year and I feel that the 1.8T should definetly be an option on the GL for 2003. The Jetta GL and the Beetle GL get this option, so why doesn't the Golf. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Re: Should the 1.8T be an option for the Golf GL? (Volkswagen Golf)

Don't only GLS models get the 1.8T as an option??

GL is very base- manual windows and locks, unheated mirrors

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Should the 1.8T be an option for the Golf GL? (TurboDave18t)

Yeah, but read the home page of Vortex. It has a section that tells what changes will occur for the 2003 models. The Golf GL gets power windows, but I want it to have the 1.8T engine!

·
Registered
25,085 Posts
Re: Should the 1.8T be an option for the Golf GL? (zilla)

The Beetle GLS and Jetta GLS have the option for the 1.8t......there is a reason the GL is marketed as the BASE model in the line up......

·
Registered
364 Posts
Re: Should the 1.8T be an option for the Golf GL? (Boostin20v)

I would probally say no, because the base model is the GL, and it is less expensive, and has less options. The way it is done now is fine by me.

·
Registered
12 Posts

1.8T got cut in 2002 http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN AN OPTION ON GLS

·
Registered
366 Posts

The whole piont of having a GL Golf is to produce a cheap vw. if you want a 1.8t then purchase a Golf GLS 1.8t, or a 1.8t GTI.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

GL + 1.8T = GTI - power options
The GL is the bargain-basement VW model. I do think it should be back on the GLS model, so there is a non-Jetta 4-door turbo in the lineup.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Re: Should the 1.8T be an option for the Golf GL? (keoni004)

quote:[HR][/HR]GL + 1.8T = GTI - power options
The GL is the bargain-basement VW model. I do think it should be back on the GLS model, so there is a non-Jetta 4-door turbo in the lineup.[HR][/HR]​
I agree. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
In my ideal world, I would like to see...
Upgraded 2.0 with 16v.
Golf GL 2 or 4 door with 2.0 or TDI. No other options.
Golf GLS 2 or 4 door with 2.0, TDI, 1.8T or VR6. Optional leather, sunroof, alloy wheels, etc.
Golf GLX 2 or 4 door with 1.8T or VR6. All options standard include Climatronic.
GTI exists as a PIO trimline with upgraded sport cloth seats, foglight, smoked taillights, alloy wheels and suspension.
This will not fly in US because not enough people buy Golfs to justify the tooling cost.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Re: Should the 1.8T be an option for the Golf GL? (msb0b)

If I could have gotten a base GL with a 1.8T I would have.
Power options = weight and $$$

·
Registered
532 Posts
Re: Should the 1.8T be an option for the Golf GL? (keoni004)

quote:[HR][/HR]The GL is the bargain-basement VW model[HR][/HR]​
You called my car bargain-basement . . .

That makes me sad . . .

But I still love it.

·
Registered
296 Posts

It was never on the GL nor will it ever. A 2 door turbo Golf is called the GTI, a 2 door turbo golf non-GTI just wouldn't work. I do think they should have a 4 door Golf GLS, but maybe it wasn't selling
[edit]bleh, i meant a turbo 2 door. Yes, I know there is a GL 2 door.[/edit]

[Modified by cow4263, 10:56 PM 4-11-2002]

·
Registered
451 Posts
Re: Should the 1.8T be an option for the Golf GL? (cow4263)

1.8T will be an option on the GL Jetta for 2003, it will be an option on the GL Beetle for 2003, why not offer the 150HP 1.8T on the Golf. That version should not steal sales from the GTI and it would be a step above the 2.0.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Re: Should the 1.8T be an option for the Golf GL? (cow4263)

quote:[HR][/HR]. A 2 door Golf is called the GTI, a 2 door turbo golf non-GTI just wouldn't work. I do think they should have a 4 door Golf GLS, but maybe it wasn't selling. [HR][/HR]​
Where do I begin? Perhaps that 2-door Golf GL I've been driving the past two years REALLY is a GTI after all!
Get the facts straight before you post, Junior!

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Re: Should the 1.8T be an option for the Golf GL? (vwgolfer)

quote:[HR][/HR]. A 2 door Golf is called the GTI, a 2 door turbo golf non-GTI just wouldn't work. I do think they should have a 4 door Golf GLS, but maybe it wasn't selling.
Where do I begin? Perhaps that 2-door Golf GL I've been driving the past two years REALLY is a GTI after all!
Get the facts straight before you post, Junior![HR][/HR]​
Us Minnesota boys are smart! you cant fool us! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
451 Posts
Re: Should the 1.8T be an option for the Golf GL? (Phishy)

There are one or two of you that don't know the GL is a four door model and a two door model.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts