VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
41,826 Posts
Re: Should we allow single-occupant hybrids in the HOV (carpool) lane? (Arroyo)

sure.
I don't see why they should be exempt from smog checks, though. A hybrid in a state of disrepair can pollute just like a regular gas vehicle.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Re: Should we allow single-occupant hybrids in the HOV (PlatinumGLS)

But i thought Hybrids were more efficient in stop and go traffic?

By putting them in the HOV lane were decreasing their efficiency.

·
Registered
19,478 Posts
Re: Should we allow single-occupant hybrids in the HOV (Garand)

Quote, originally posted by Garand »
This is just one of a million reasons why California sucks so much.
Rob Garand

yes, unfortunately, democracy works out here

Anyway, I voted NO. They should be neither SMOG exempt nor allowed in HOV lanes without the same minimum # of occupants. (Unless the vehicle is design to seat only one occupant and is at full capactiy - ie. Motorcycle, trike, custom.)

Modified by PsyberVW at 3:18 AM 7-3-2004

·
Registered
28,779 Posts
Re: Should we allow single-occupant hybrids in the HOV (carpool) lane? (Arroyo)

HOV lanes are supposed to encourage people to carpool (or ride motorcycles or ride buses) in order to reduce the amount of road space needed per person on the road. Having exemptions for ZEVs and hybrids goes counter to this reason for having HOV lanes.

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
No, as an urban planner half the reason we have car pool lanes is so that we have LESS cars in the city center durring the peak times of the day. Sure they are more enviro friendly but they still take up parking spaces and make traffic. If this was aimed as space efficent cars it would make sence. Ultra compacts, like the Smart and motorcycle are exactly what I'd want people driving into the cities on/in when light rail isnt available.
Not to mention HOV lanes have been failures in most areas.

G

·
Re: Should we allow single-occupant hybrids in the HOV (Garand)

Quote, originally posted by Garand »
This is just one of a million reasons why California sucks so much.

You mean because they're doing what the state of Virginia did three years ago?

And for the record, I don't think either VA or CA should be exempting hybrids for HOV use. In highway driving, they're still less efficient than, say, a Civic HX or Sentra CA. They also do nothing to reduce traffic congestion, unlike cars with multiple occupants, motorcycles and city cars like the Smart FourTwo.

·
Registered
27,104 Posts
Re: (MGQ)

Quote, originally posted by MGQ »
Yes smog exemptions! then I can get a Prius and drop in a HEMI!

I was just thinking this

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Re: Should we allow single-occupant hybrids in the HOV (RJetta8V)

Quote, originally posted by RJetta8V »
But i thought Hybrids were more efficient in stop and go traffic?

By putting them in the HOV lane were decreasing their efficiency.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Re: Should we allow single-occupant hybrids in the HOV (bgluckman)

Quote, originally posted by bgluckman »

And for the record, I don't think either VA or CA should be exempting hybrids for HOV use. In highway driving, they're still less efficient than, say, a Civic HX or Sentra CA. They also do nothing to reduce traffic congestion, unlike cars with multiple occupants, motorcycles and city cars like the Smart FourTwo.

I can drive in the still-congested HOV lane by myself if I buy a hyperide? Wheeeere do I sign??

·
Registered
28,779 Posts
Re: Should we allow single-occupant hybrids in the HOV (bgluckman)

Quote, originally posted by bgluckman »

And for the record, I don't think either VA or CA should be exempting hybrids for HOV use. In highway driving, they're still less efficient than, say, a Civic HX or Sentra CA.

A Civic HX has EPA ratings of 44mpg highway, while a Sentra CA is a relative guzzler at 35mpg (it does have PZEV emissions, but so do lots of other cars like some Accords, some Focuses, etc.). While the Civic HX can challenge the hybrids on the highway (though the worst one is the first generation Prius at 45mpg -- close enough to be essentially the same), it is rather unlikely that a Sentra CA can challenge the hybrids in fuel economy in any context.
Non-hybrid, non-diesel super fuel economy cars in the US include the 1992-1995 Civic VX, at 51-54mpg on the EPA highway rating, as well as some of the Sprint and Metro models.
Quote »
They also do nothing to reduce traffic congestion, unlike cars with multiple occupants, motorcycles and city cars like the Smart FourTwo.

Agree here. HOV lanes are supposed to encourage people to use less road space per person; exempting various classes of vehicles other than those which take up less road space (like motorcycles) goes counter to that goal.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Re: Should we allow single-occupant hybrids in the HOV (tjl)

I belive this is also the case in MD, althought I might have cross over confusion with VA....
and I've always wondered... since the Mclaren F1 had the two side seats taken away for US saftey inspections, thus making is a single seater, are they allowed in the HOV lanes

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.