VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm talking about the 88-91 Toyota Camry's. I don't know if anyone else has experience with these cars but as long as you have a key to your Camry, you can open up and drive every other Camry as well. The keys are universal apparantly
Shouldn't Toyota have done a little something about it? Do they know about it? Back in high school my friends (both at the time had Camry's of that particular era) they used to steal eachother's cars and put stuff in it all the time. Their keys worked just like it was their own car.

One night after leaving this guy's house we were partying at, we go out to along the road where the cars are parked. My friend with the Camry was driving. We're b.s.ing to oneanother and my friend unlocks the car. I get in and am sitting in the passenger seat ready to roll. My friend the driver is about to get in when my other friend who was about to get in the back seat speaks up and says "Hey Rob.....this car's a wagon man, this aint yours!"
I look behind me and sure enough I was sitting in an old Camry wagon that belonged to someone in my buddy's house. If my friend hadn't noticed we definitey would have driven off with someone else's car and probably not realized for a mile or two

So am I the only one who thinks this is F'd up?

·
Banned
5,977 Posts
Re: Shouldn't Car Keys NOT Work For Every Other Car of the Same Model?? (VW4Eva)

Quote, originally posted by VW4Eva »
I'm talking about the 88-91 Toyota Camry's. I don't know if anyone else has experience with these cars but as long as you have a key to your Camry, you can open up and drive every other Camry as well. The keys are universal apparantly
Shouldn't Toyota have done a little something about it? Do they know about it? Back in high school my friends (both at the time had Camry's of that particular era) they used to steal eachother's cars and put stuff in it all the time. Their keys worked just like it was their own car.

One night after leaving this guy's house we were partying at, we go out to along the road where the cars are parked. My friend with the Camry was driving. We're b.s.ing to oneanother and my friend unlocks the car. I get in and am sitting in the passenger seat ready to roll. My friend the driver is about to get in when my other friend who was about to get in the back seat speaks up and says "Hey Rob.....this car's a wagon man, this aint yours!"
I look behind me and sure enough I was sitting in an old Camry wagon that belonged to someone in my buddy's house. If my friend hadn't noticed we definitey would have driven off with someone else's car and probably not realized for a mile or two

So am I the only one who thinks this is F'd up?

I doubt it would have worked in the ignition.

·
Learning New Things Every Day.
'21 Jeep JTR '12 A4q
18,020 Posts
Re: Shouldn't Car Keys NOT Work For Every Other Car of the Same Model?? (VW4Eva)

or the ability to remove the key while driving???? saturn had this flaw. and if the tumblers didnt fall, you could stick anything that would twist the ignition to start it. stick, other keys, knife, chopsticks.
i remember my mom driving down the freeway and i reached over and yanked the keys out of the ignition. she freaked, but i didn't do anything.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Shouldn't Car Keys NOT Work For Every Other Car of the Same Model?? (Mindflux)

Quote, originally posted by Mindflux »

I doubt it would have worked in the ignition.

Yes it would've. Like I said in my original posts, my friends used to steal eachothers cars all the time.

·
Registered
17,649 Posts

How could Toyota overlook this? Or why would they want this? I never heard this before, so its a tough pill to swallow.
Although it would help explain how Camry's were the most commonly stolen car in the 90's. Big market, big payoff to chop shops, and easy.

·
Registered
14,819 Posts
Re: Shouldn't Car Keys NOT Work For Every Other Car of the Same Model?? (Big M)

it's not just toyota.
they key for my friend's camaro can open his dad's yukon. but it can't start the car.
my dad could take the key out of his 58' corvette whilst driving, too.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Re: Shouldn't Car Keys NOT Work For Every Other Car of the Same Model?? (FourthGenHatch)

Happened with one of my friends car he has a Mustang and one of the guys at our job had another ford and sure enough, opened her right up. weird

·
Registered
316 Posts
Re: Shouldn't Car Keys NOT Work For Every Other Car of the Same Model?? (GreenandChrome)

Quote, originally posted by GreenandChrome »
or the ability to remove the key while driving???? saturn had this flaw. and if the tumblers didnt fall, you could stick anything that would twist the ignition to start it. stick, other keys, knife, chopsticks.
i remember my mom driving down the freeway and i reached over and yanked the keys out of the ignition. she freaked, but i didn't do anything.

my friends 1990 Taurus station wagon that barely works does the same thing. u can remove the key whenever u want even when ure driving, and after u took they out u can still turn the ignition

·
Registered
‘17 VW Passat, ‘08 VW Passat, ‘07 Audi Q7 4.2, ‘03 BMW R1150RT, ‘53 DKW RT250H
4,504 Posts
The key to my dad's Grand Am works in his Tahoe's passenger door...and only to unlock it. It doesn't work in the driver's side door, the hatch, or the ignition.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Re: (LuxNova)

work in alot of older cars. things like that werent made as well as they are now and after years of wear the tumblers get worn down and just about anything that fits will turn the lock.

·
Registered
23,280 Posts
Re: Shouldn't Car Keys NOT Work For Every Other Car of the Same Model?? (FourthGenHatch)

Quote, originally posted by FourthGenHatch »
My Dad had a '96 Saturn SC2 and he had accidently opened up other Saturns before also.

I can start my friends 92 SC2 with a coin, and open it with my pocket knife.
Also think about how mnay variations of keys they have to make. I doubt that every camery key works for every camry, that doesnt sound right. but if a car company uses the same key design for all its models there is bound to be copys. Why do you think computer chips in keys was such a big deal. Also its not just keys. With my old probes keyless entry and my jetta's i have opened other cars. sometimes there different makes also. It just happens I guess.

·
Registered
11,046 Posts
Re: Shouldn't Car Keys NOT Work For Every Other Car of the Same Model?? (Jettavr666)

those cars probably have about 8-10 different key cuts. so there is that, also the cars are so old. things are probably worn

·
Premium Member
54,814 Posts
Re: Shouldn't Car Keys NOT Work For Every Other Car of the Same Model?? (Jettavr666)

my friend's brand new Ion has the same issue... kinda
they use plastic rings to hold the lock cylinder into their 'dent resistant panels'
the other day, he pushed too hard on the lock cylinder, the plastic holding it in broke and it fell in the door a bit
you can open it with ANY key, dimes, pennies...
so, need to steal an awful ion
push and turn

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Re: Shouldn't Car Keys NOT Work For Every Other Car of the Same Model?? (Chapel)

Quote »
I can start my friends 92 SC2 with a coin, and open it with my pocket knife.

When do you actually begin to think "hey I wonder if this knife will fit"?

Modified by immattsgti at 9:40 PM 5-9-2003

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
Re: Shouldn't Car Keys NOT Work For Every Other Car of the Same Model?? (immattsgti)

Quote, originally posted by immattsgti »

Modified by immattsgti at 9:40 PM 5-9-2003

Right after you run out of chopsticks.....

·
Registered
23,280 Posts
Re: Shouldn't Car Keys NOT Work For Every Other Car of the Same Model?? (immattsgti)

Quote, originally posted by immattsgti »

actually it was when I stole his car from the parking lot on multiple occasions.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.