VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a kid, as my first car, i wanted one of these. Didn't have enough money, so i never got one. But i always thought they were extremely smart looking cars. So can the TCL Show me some nice examples of the G20's and Tell me something about them.
INB4 g20.net. I'd rather get a non-bias opinion from TCL (too much to ask maybe?)
Rule 1

Modified by mikeynewb at 5:42 PM 4-26-2010

· Millennial
43,630 Posts
Re: Show and Tell: Infiniti G20's (mikeynewb)

They're excellent cars. Not really much else to add - they handle great for what they are, and the motor loves to rev.
My parents bought a 2002 Sport - they bought it right when I got my license, I tried to drive that thing as much as I could. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Looked just like this one:

Modified by Rabbit5GTI at 12:40 PM 4-26-2010

· Registered
3,189 Posts
Re: Show and Tell: Infiniti G20's (Rabbit5GTI)

Quote, originally posted by Rabbit5GTI »

Looked just like this one:

Modified by Rabbit5GTI at 12:40 PM 4-26-2010

The later ones looked so great with those wheels.
It was always one of those cars I'd make a point of peeking in to check the tranny

· Millennial
43,630 Posts
Re: Show and Tell: Infiniti G20's (hotshoe32)

Quote, originally posted by hotshoe32 »

The later ones looked so great with those wheels.
It was always one of those cars I'd make a point of peeking in to check the tranny

Me too

When I got to college a year after they bought it, I was in the market for a newer car...I ended up finding a Black '02 Sport with a manual (my parent's car was an automatic...if theirs was manual I would have bought it from them when they got rid of it). I wanted it so badly - but it was still way out of my price range at the time. I ended up getting a Hyundai Elantra GT instead.
To this day I regret not trying to finance it (I know financing a used car is stupid)...I would have been able to make the payments, and I'd rather have that car today than my crappy MkV GTI

Modified by Rabbit5GTI at 12:49 PM 4-26-2010

· Registered
JSW TDI
1,810 Posts

I too think these cars are pretty slick.
They have the same motor as the Sentra SE/SE-R and 200sx SE-R and many a swapped 240sx as well as the REAL 200sx. That motor being the SR20. Also they are the last of the FWD G-branded Infinitis.
Also they are absolutely and totally unrelated to the G35.

· Millennial
43,630 Posts
Re: Show and Tell: Infiniti G20's (turkey_club)

Oh and if you ever were in the market for one - the one to get is definitely the model I posted - (2002 Sport). It has the nice leather/brushed suede seats, limited slip, nicer 16" alloy wheels, and the not-so-tacky ground effects package. In the earlier models of this generation, the equivalent was called "Touring", instead of sport. However, I think that the nicer seats only came around for the late-model 'Sport' packages.

^This was the best picture I could find - note the black leather bolsters and the sliver/grey colored suede inserts. It's a very nice combination http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Obviously I'm a little biased since that's the model that was in my family, but the lower-end models are a little too closely related to a regular nissan altima of the day...so might as well go for one that had some differentiation to it

Modified by Rabbit5GTI at 1:26 PM 4-26-2010

· Banned
1,763 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by Rob. »

++
I like the look of the 1st gen. better myself. 2nd gen looks too much like an Altima/Sentra.

· Registered
23,928 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Slowkums)

There are 2 G20 owners on this site, me and InfinitiG

I have a 1995 (P10 chassis) G20t. 5 speed. I've had it for just over 5 years now and has 240K Km's. I daily drive it and usually put around 400kms a week on it. Touring has limited slip, power leather seats, fold down rear seats, fogs, spoiler.
My car is stock so no point in posting pics. Everything still works on it, all electrics, a/c, limited slip, power seats etc. Just the usual maintenance and things that eventually go. Clutch was done once, water pump, fuel pump, starter have all been replaced. For the most part the car is easy to work on. The clutch and water pump was done at the dealer, but the other stuff you could do on your own.
Last weekend a friend and I replaced an upper control arm, end link bushings, front and rear sway bar. Handles like new again. Even with the stock setup the car handles very well.
The SR20DE is reliable, returns decent gas mileage and likes to rev. The only things I have done was replace the valve cover gasket and get the upgraded timing chain tensioner. Check SR20DE forums for any info.
The stock headlights are horrible though. If you can find some JDM, UK, or Euro ones with manual adjusters that would be a hell of an upgrade.
I haven't had any problems with the transmission. Unlike most of the VW's I've owned, I don't have problems with getting into 1st gear. Some have had 5th gear pop out but I've never had that. There is a fix for that though.
Don't bother with the automatic, not that fun to drive, slow and uninspiring.
edit: My friend has the one and only T4 in Canada. It's an awd G20, actually it's a Nissan Primera imported from Japan. HP10 chassis.

Modified by VWVan at 11:10 AM 4-26-2010

· Registered
4,972 Posts

If you're looking for compact luxury, it does an OK job at it, but don't expect an A4. The interior, while adequate, is warmed over Econo-fodder but solid and comfortable enough and the motor is horrendously unrefined in this application. I've driven two well cared for '02's in my life and the motor buzzes like it's on solid mounts. The two I've driven were autos, and Nissan should be commended for how intuitive these transmissions are. Mash the pedal and you're met with an immediate downshift, but it never downshifts when you don't want it to. I HATE autos with a passion but these ones feel like they're wired to my brain. Outside, I think the design is classic, it's probably one of my favorite designs of the 90's, so clean and well-stated, even with the Infiniti bits tacked onto a Nissan design. They handle well and are light on their feet and the SR20 propels it well enough while providing decent comfort.

Modified by anon_az at 2:24 PM 4-26-2010

· Millennial
43,630 Posts
Re: Show and Tell: Infiniti G20's (anon_az)

Quote, originally posted by anon_az »
If you're looking for compact luxury, it does an OK job at it, but don't expect an A4. The interior, while adequate, is warmed over Econo-fodder but solid and comfortable enough and the motor is horrendously unrefined in this application. I've driven two well cared for '02's in my life and the motor buzzes like it's on solid mounts. The two I've driven were autos, and Nissan should be commended for how intuitive these transmissions are. Mash the pedal and you're met with an immediate downshift, but it never downshifts when you don't want it to. I HATE autos with a passion but these ones feel like they're wired to my brain. Outside, I think the design is classic, it's probably one of my favorite designs of the 90's, so clean and well-stated, even with the Infiniti bits tacked onto a Nissan design. They handle well and are light on their feet and the SR20 propels it well enough while providing decent comfort.
Modified by anon_az at 2:24 PM 4-26-2010

I do agree with you about the interior quality - but you have to remember the price range these went for when brand new. They were a complete steal for someone that wanted an economical, fun car with a few 'luxury' bits. I think my parents paid something along the lines of 23k for their fully-loaded G20 back in 2002 (sport package, CD changer, heated seats, auto transmission). Take a FWD Audi A4...probably about the closest car to compare to at the time - a base model 1.8T A4, FWD, with cloth seats was going for that price in 2002 - pretty good value for the G20 if you ask me.
It would have been nice if Infiniti could have kept an entry-level model like this in the mix once the G35 came around. I know they didn't sell like hotcakes...but the Primera was still in production until a few years ago, right?

EDIT: Just checked MSN autos - the Sport was only around for 2002, like I had thought. So that's the only year for the leather/suede seats in that package. The 1999-2001 Touring package has seats with the same bolsters, but only in full leather.

Modified by Rabbit5GTI at 2:48 PM 4-26-2010

· Registered
23,928 Posts

The Primera P11-144 was made until 2002, and the P12 was sold up till 2008. However they were ugly as hell and I'm glad they never brought them here
However people here like to swap in the SR20VE.

· Registered
4,987 Posts
Re: (juice)

Quote, originally posted by juice »
Always liked these. A grown-up's Sentra SE-R.

Exactly what I've always thought. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Looked into these but couldnt find anything close enough that wasn't beat to hell...

· Registered
5,624 Posts

Quote, originally posted by mikeynewb »
As a kid, as my first car, i wanted one of these. Didn't have enough money, so i never got one. But i always thought they were extremely smart looking cars.

whoa .. almost word for word what I came here to post http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Remember sitting in a P10 when I was about 14-15, as well as an NX.
Also loved the P11 during the autoshow circuit at the time. Was aiming for a late-model S14 240sx for a while too.
All were still on my mind in 2002-2003 when I was saving for a car, but looked at Honda / VW first and bought the 2nd car I test-drove that day (mk3 golf)
really can't go wrong with a 5-speed SR20DE Nissan anything.
If I didn't develop a hatred of 4-doors, I might regret not giving the G20 my attention.
some love for good measure:

hmm most of the images i tried to hotlink wouldn't load, irony much? (i hardly see any G20s around but i doubt they were a big seller, here at least)

Modified by Troike at 12:40 PM 4-26-2010

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.