VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinkin' about pickin' up a G60 Corrado with a blown trans, not really fond of the GLadder and it's finicky ways, don't have money for rebuilding one, or having a rebuilt spare on deck. I've had a few 16v mk2's, I like the power n I know them a bit so I feel I'd be comfortable with one in this Rado. So, show me your bay n tell me about getting it in there. I imagine nothing has to be changed as an O2A trans will be used. I'd like to keep it CIS-Motronic also, but am considering a 16vDigi1 swap(which there is a FAQ for), but gimme some pointers if ya would.
Thanks. :thumbup:

·
Registered
09 CC 3.6 4mo, 98 DE Leftover car, 90 Corrado, 78 Triumph Spitfire
13,019 Posts
Thinkin' about pickin' up a G60 Corrado with a blown trans, not really fond of the GLadder and it's finicky ways, don't have money for rebuilding one, or having a rebuilt spare on deck. I've had a few 16v mk2's, I like the power n I know them a bit so I feel I'd be comfortable with one in this Rado. So, show me your bay n tell me about getting it in there. I imagine nothing has to be changed as an O2A trans will be used. I'd like to keep it CIS-Motronic also, but am considering a 16vDigi1 swap(which there is a FAQ for), but gimme some pointers if ya would.
Thanks. :thumbup:
Don't waste your time with CIS-M... it is the worst iteration of CIS.

I would either go standalone or Digi 1. Actually I take that back... I would build an ABF clone and run it on OBDII Motronic.

·
Registered
22,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't waste your time with CIS-M... it is the worst iteration of CIS.

I would either go standalone or Digi 1. Actually I take that back... I would build an ABF clone and run it on OBDII Motronic.
The 91-92 GLI's I've had weren't that bad, maybe I was lucky?

I've been wanting to build an ABF clone for some time now. Mk3 blocks are plentiful. I have access to a 1.8L head. I have a header(just need to get a 3 bolt cat flange on it). I have 16v motronic ECU's and a wiring harness.

I'd ideally like to get HD conrods n fresh 11.1 CR, Weisco ABF P-heads or at the very least some OEM ABF pistons. I'll need to research the Digi1 16v management/swap. OBDII Motronic is Mk3 managment yes?

·
Premium Member
6,354 Posts

I've been wanting to build an ABF clone for some time now. Mk3 blocks are plentiful. I have access to a 1.8L head. I have a header(just need to get a 3 bolt cat flange on it). I have 16v motronic ECU's and a wiring harness.

I'd ideally like to get HD conrods n fresh 11.1 CR, Weisco ABF P-heads or at the very least some OEM ABF pistons. I'll need to research the Digi1 16v management/swap. OBDII Motronic is Mk3 managment yes?
What kind of hp and tq does a setup like this typically put down?

·
Registered
13,019 Posts

IIRC 9A pistons and rods will work in an ABA bottom end as well. I think the 9A pistons may be the same as the ABF. I will check in ETKA in a bit.

Yes OBDII management is from mk3 ABA's. The nice thing about using the ABA block/crank is you have the crank sensor allowing you to use that management. It is reliable and easy to diagnose issues as well since you can just vag-com it.

What kind of hp and tq does a setup like this typically put down?
They can put down decent numbers. ABF's were putting down 148 HP from the factory and 130 lb-ft of torque.

·
Registered
13,019 Posts
Ok, so ABF and ABA rods are the same part number:
037198401C

Unfortunately I can't tell if the 9A piston is the same as the ABF one as they have different part numbers. I have heard that they are though. Maybe Shawn or someone in the 16v forum would have a bit of info on that. Or even Mikki.

For reference ABF piston PN:
048107065T

The ABA crank and ABF crank are the same, as are the blocks.

·
Registered
22,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IIRC 9A pistons and rods will work in an ABA bottom end as well. I think the 9A pistons may be the same as the ABF. I will check in ETKA in a bit.

Yes OBDII management is from mk3 ABA's. The nice thing about using the ABA block/crank is you have the crank sensor allowing you to use that management. It is reliable and easy to diagnose issues as well since you can just vag-com it.
To use the 9a p-heads ya gotta have them mated to ABA rods, if what I was reading was right, somethin' about ABF wrist pins being pressed in. The ABA rod is longer too right? I see what you're saying about the mk3 management though.

·
Registered
13,019 Posts
To use the 9a p-heads ya gotta have them mated to ABA rods, if what I was reading was right, somethin' about ABF wrist pins being pressed in. The ABA rod is longer too right? I see what you're saying about the mk3 management though.
Makes sense since the ABF rod and ABA rod are the same.

·
Registered
13,019 Posts

·
Registered
22,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, you deff need ABF pistons unless you want 9.2:1 compression.

On a side note I think I just figured out how to build a streetable high compression 8v. ;)
Really? Yeah, I'd definitely wanna higher CR. That's with 9a/ABA rod combo too(I didn't click the thread yet)?

I had tried to source OEM ABF pistons complete, but people want an arm & a foot for a set. Like $400 shipped, which is absurd to me, as a fresh aftermarket set of heads is just about that price.
Maybe I am cheap.
Back to just slappin a 9a 16v on OEM mk2 management...how does the power of the 16v feel in a Corrado?

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
...how does the power of the 16v feel in a Corrado?
^^Slow, I can tell you that for sure - speaking from personal experience since mine was a 16v until I swapped a G60 in there (very popular swap in Europe, Americans don't quite get it :p). Mine was a KR 1.8L not a 2.0 9A/ABF which has a bit more torque.
I hated the fact that you had to be constanly above 4K rpm to kinda feel the power...I call them "torqueless" :laugh:
I liked the fact that these engines are bulletproof and problem-free :thumbup:

Don't forget that the Corrado is a pretty heavy car, a MK2 16V feels and is quicker, an MK1 16V is great fun (that's why I'll be building a MK1 16V in the future :D)

Watching this :popcorn:
Good luck

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
and here's a pic of my very dirty engine bay when it was still a 16V (this one had the 50mm inlet manifold IIRC too)

Also my buddy has an 16V KR/ABF clone in his Corrado. 2.0l 16V ABF block with 16V KR head/cams and K-jet injection system. Its somehow better but still slow if you ask me ;)

·
Registered
22,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That engine just looks so much better than a g60....
Personally, I think a G60 8v is sexy & a 16v G60 is just plain beautiful, especially when in a cleaned, lightly shaved, tucked n fresh looking bay. I've always loved the idea n what VW was looking to do with it, it just seems flawed n very vulnerable over time. I've been in 2 G60 Rados & liked the pull, feel n sound of them, the reliability though, whether a daily or weekend cruiser, scares me.
Sad to read the disappointment with the "feel" n pairing of the 16v in a Corrado. Still gunna look into it though.

·
Registered
12,623 Posts
I disagree with Nik about being slow. Considering a stock Mk2 16v GTi is faster 0-60 than a stock G60 Corrado. I think the vacuum cleaner sound must make him think he's going faster. :p

Maybe the KR 1.8 with CIS is sluggish in a Corrado. My 9a is not torqueless below 4k. It has good power down low but for sure it comes to life at 4k and pulls hard to 7500k. But I have ported/polished head, TT Sport cams, Euro intake, header, and no airbox. My car doesn't feel slow especially slower than a stock G60. Yip has been in it and can tell you how it feels. Its different than a G60 since it begs to driven hard and revved out to make its power. But you can do that without fear of bearing and metal bits showering your engine bay. :D

Go with Digi1 since the car already has it. You can even use your G60 injectors. CIS is pointless.

9a works well with the O2A G60 gearing too. I love my 16v and have no regrets at all. Its a really fun motor especially with p&p and cams.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
I disagree with Nik about being slow. Considering a stock Mk2 16v GTi is faster 0-60 than a stock G60 Corrado. I think the vacuum cleaner sound must make him think he's going faster. :p

Maybe the KR 1.8 with CIS is sluggish in a Corrado. My 9a is not torqueless below 4k. It has good power down low but for sure it comes to life at 4k and pulls hard to 7500k. But I have ported/polished head, TT Sport cams, Euro intake, header, and no airbox. My car doesn't feel slow especially slower than a stock G60. Yip has been in it and can tell you how it feels...
I hate to (partialy) disagree with James ^^ :D

A stock MK2 16V GTI may be faster 0-60 than a stock Corrado G60 but that has to do with the awful gearing of the G60 which can reach 60 in 2nd ;)

I've driven a lot 16V MK2s, they are definately faster than than 16V Corrados (which as you know where available and plentiful here in Europe (so please allow me to have some experience ;)) but that has to do mainly with the added weight of the Corrado. A 1.8 16V KR CIS is definately sluggish in a Corrado. The 9A/ABF is a different story.

Compare doggers tuned setup (which is awesome, fast too I'm guessing and just how it should have been produced from factory - at least for the Corrados case) with a "stage 4" G60 and then its a fair comparison. Money-wise also a "stage 4" G60 is cheaper to achieve the hp...

IMHO, VW made a mistake with the 1.8 16V KR in a Corrado. That engine in the Corrado had a lot of bad reviews mainly 'cause of its lack of torque and "slugginess". That is one of the reasons why VW later introduced the 2.0 16V 9A (other reason was the emissions).

Its different than a G60 since it begs to driven hard and revved out to make its power
^^ Totally true :thumbup:

But you can do that without fear of bearing and metal bits showering your engine bay. :D
^^ Also soooo true :laugh: That's why I said that I personally loved the fact that they are so damn reliable and problem-free ;)

...Its a really fun motor especially with p&p and cams.
^^ Totally agree with this ;)

Don't get me wrong. I :heart: the 16V engine but not in a Corrado - or at least not a stock motor.
James's setup into an MK1 would humiliate a lot of other cars ;)

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts