VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me about cars you've driven where switches were just put in the most awkward and terrible places. My example is the Cavalier. Have a look at where the cup holders are. If you put anything larger than a 350ml pop can in there, the air con/heater controls become 100% blocked and if you have a 5 speed, you will smash you hand into it every time you go into 3rd.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Mk3 VW
/thread

·
Registered
148 Posts
Re: Show me cars with terrible Ergonomics (Subwoofers)

Just found the chrome is a door handle pull.
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
I hate the placement of the window switches in my Vue. Makes it impossible to roll up two windows at a time and confuses the hell out of passengers.
I also hate how short the armrest is on left side. Entirely uncomfortable.

Modified by gordo854 at 3:52 PM 1-31-2010

·
Registered
3,930 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Subwoofers »

Wait a minute, a window switch AND a crank?

·
Banned
470 Posts
Re: Show me cars with terrible Ergonomics (PettR)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Re: (welderdood)

Quote, originally posted by welderdood »
Mk3 VW
/thread

i love my cupholders in my mk3
although its not quite as good as punching ur passenger in the leg trying to shift into 5th

Modified by DYINGsucks at 6:51 PM 1-31-2010

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
22,153 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Blackballed)

Passenger side front door on the E90's annoys me. The door handle/pull blocks the window switch, so you reach around it. I know, it's oh so terrible, death and calamity, but it still tricks me everytime I roll the window down in my friends car.
If you want really bad ergonomics, look at old airplane cockpits. Old ones were terrible.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts

Quote, originally posted by PettR »

Door lock. Window switches are in the center on Cavaliers.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts

Quote, originally posted by PettR »

That is an aftermarket switch. I am guessing its for the door locks. Usually if a cars switched over to power windows there is a trim peice that goes over the hole that the crank was in.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
FV-QR

2007 Chrysler grand caravan.
We had one as a courtesy shuttle for pilots at my last job.
1. The seatbelt buckle was right under the driver's armrest. Had to lift it to buckle up or unbuckle.
2. The hatch. There was no button in the car to open it, only on the remote. If the key was in the ignition and the engine was running (like it was 10 out of 10 times the pilots were being dropped off and their bags were in the back) the button would not open the hatch. Had to either turn the engine off and/or pull the key out to open it. I didn't check the manual if there was an easier way to do this - like pressing the unlock door button an extra time - but there should be a button, ergonomically placed and labeled to perform this function.
3. The lights. The headlights and interior lights would sometimes stay lit up after you exited the car and turned everything off and even locked it with the remote. Never did understand what caused this and just assumed there was a certain order in which you had to shut things off.
There were a couple other less significant things that I can't remember at the moment, but the above mentioned was enough for me to be disgusted with the car. Didn't they, like, invent the minivan??

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Re: (welderdood)

Quote, originally posted by welderdood »
Mk3 VW
/thread

They aren't that bad, at least none of the switches are buried or in awkward positions.
I don't know why they put the door lock switch on the dash though, same with the rear window controls.

·
Registered
11,109 Posts

The current Civic. I thought it would be first-rate, but it isn't.
-No where to rest your arm while sifting thru radio stations - which is annoying on a bumpy road since it's easier to steady your hand when your arm is stabilized. The buttons are a bit too far away to rest your arm on the arm rest... and not at the right height/distance to rest your wrist on the shifter and use your fingers to hit the buttons.
-E-brake makes contact with leg
-Despite being up on its own the speedo still needs a look down to read, just as bad as having it with everything else.
-Not every button was illuminated.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by DYINGsucks »

i love my cupholders in my mk3
although its not quite as good as punching ur passenger in the leg trying to shift into 5th

I always do this in my MKIV. Even after the first time it happens, the passengers never realize they should move their leg. I will put it in 4th, and their leg goes right back into position to interfere with me shifting into 5th.

·
Registered
10,245 Posts
Re: Show me cars with terrible Ergonomics (gordo854)

Quote, originally posted by gordo854 »
I hate the placement of the window switches in my Vue. Makes it impossible to roll up two windows at a time and confuses the hell out of passengers.
I also hate how short the armrest is on left side. Entirely uncomfortable.

you just have small hands apparently, I can do 3 at once in ours

I agree with the armrest though, it's too small and low, and the base of the window is too high.

Modified by silvERia at 7:12 PM 1-31-2010

·
Registered
IG @apissues
15,358 Posts
Re: Show me cars with terrible Ergonomics (silvERia)

My 2010 Mustang has no armrest on the console. You just rest your arm ON the console assuming both lids (cupholder + rear cover) are closed. Otherwise it's uncomfortable. The aux input is in the back cover, so, I leave it open as to select songs. I'll be relocating it soon.
Edit:

Rear part flips open backwards, cupholder to the right.

Modified by iDance at 12:19 AM 2-1-2010

1 - 20 of 195 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.