VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Can't get much cooler than these.

:thumbup: Very very cool indeed!

Love the finger logo and I guess its intended meaning is V-for-Victory as opposed to hippy peace sign,
even perhaps classic Brit FU too?

Also,
fun factoid:
didja know that Ron Burgundy had a Swedish cousin named Rune Burgund who was a male model? :p

That's him on the left:

Another cool Volvo decal,
for air conditioning...

Brrrrrrrrr
rrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
17,395 Posts
VW was putting these in new cars in the early 90s. My new-to-me-then Mk2 GTI had a green one in the rear side window.

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4
25,519 Posts
C3 Corvette "Astro Ventilation"

·
Registered
1,811 Posts

The French marques each had their own oil preferences.

Pug went with Esso:

Renault with elf:

Citroën with Total:

Must say that the Traction Avant era Total decals are much much cooler tho.

Simca with Shell:

And,
here's a random miscellany à la Françoise:

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
19,541 Posts

Not the best picture. But check out the E in the rear window. Not a fancy Elise logo. It’s the Queens Award for Enterprise. Lotus won it in 2002 and stuck it on their cars for five years.

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda, Ducati
35,134 Posts
Honda went HAM with the ulev labeling
I don't know what "going HAM" means, but HAM is the name of the factory where those engines were installed.

HMA = Honda Manufacturing of America (Ohio)

·
Registered
DFW • ’21 V60 CC
643 Posts
Volvo advertised their Side Impact Protection System (side airbags and beams in the doors):

They also cared about advertising their cars had a “lambda sond” , aka an O2 sensor and a catalytic converter:

Peugeot in the Netherlands put these stickers on the back window of their cars:

It says, “je voelt je lekkerder in een Peugeot”, which translates as “you feel better in a Peugeot”.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Volvo loved these kind of things. My parents bought an '82 240DL while we were in Sweden visiting family. When it arrived in the US a few months later, it came with one of these:

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Volvo advertised their Side Impact Protection System (side airbags and beams in the doors):
That's hilarious. :laugh: I only remember seeing these small stickers in the US:

Also, I remember late '90s GM cars with "Next Generation Airbag" stickers in the driver's window. Next generation compared to what?

·
Premium Member
500e, Exige
22,369 Posts
From 2002-2007, every Lotus Elise has a Queen's Award for Enterprise decal in the rear window. These were on the U.S.-spec cars too--I remember seeing the decals when the Elise first arrived.

----------------

From page 191 in the owner's manual:

The Queen's Award for Enterprise is the highest honour that can be bestowed upon a British company and is the UK's top award for business performance. The award is given annually by Her Majesty The Queen and the winning companies hold it for five years.

Group Lotus PLC and its staff were awarded The Queen's Award for Enterprise 2002 for the whole group's outstanding achievement in international trade. Lotus Cars has sold its prestigious sports car models into over 30 countries around the world and Lotus Engineering, which has been investing heavily in engine and chassis research, is regarded as one of the world's leading engineering consultancy groups.

The Lotus Elise now proudly displays The Queen's Award logo on the rear window. This logo symbolises the achievements of Group Lotus over the last few years culminating in the company being given the Award in 2002 - the year of The Queen's Golden Jubilee.

The Queen's Award scheme was introduced in 1966, originally as The Queen's Award to Industry before becoming known as The Queen's Award for Enterprise in 1999.

Her Majesty The Queen makes the Awards on the advice of the Prime Minister, who is assisted by an Advisory Committee that includes representatives of Government, industry and commerce, and the trade unions. They are announced on 21 April, The Queen's personal birthday.

----------------

Good to see that the decal is still available from Lotus for $11.52 (#6 in the diagram below) https://www.lotuspartsonline.com/p/Lotus__Elise/DECAL-QUEENS-JUBILEE/62881897/A117B0501F.html

And I learned from looking this up that the Queen's Award was also on the Exige, but only on European cars.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts