VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

· Registered
10,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
December 5th is not a good day in our household. One year ago, we lost my dad to cancer. This year, it was my dog Pogo's turn, literally almost 1 year to the hour of losing my dad.

Dogs are family and Pogo was no different. If it was possible to have a "soul dog" he was ours, and that made losing him that much harder. He was 14 1/2 years old, and his body was giving out. The day I had feared had come, and he finally showed us this past weekend that it was time to say goodbye.

We don't know much of his backstory, except that he showed signs of being abused, found at a high-kill shelter down in Kentucky, transferred up here, and had been adopted out twice and brought back before we adopted him. He was about 1 year old at the time, and we think he was a Golden Retriever/Corgi mix. He showed signs of fear from certain people, and major separation anxiety. He was an impulse adoption from a local animal shelter here in the Chicago burbs way back when my wife and I were still dating, and we had just moved in together. We went to the shelter with a bag of dog food to donate, and he walked out in front of us. 20 minutes later I wrote a check for him and we took him home.

We solved the separation anxiety by taking him everywhere we could with us. He's been all over the midwest, and even into the Rideau Lakes region of Ontario where he had full run of his own private island on a lake. He had his own Burley bike trailer that we took him in every time we went biking. We tried very hard to show him a wonderful life. He went from being scared and locked in a shelter cage to ultimately going boating every weekend and being carted around with us everywhere in a $90,000 Audi and then a $120K Porsche. He turned heads everywhere we went, and he made us feel like celebrities every time we went for a walk on the Chicago Riverwalk.

So let's have a thread to show off your pets. No rules, they just need to be your beloved fur babies in a vehicle...any vehicle.

Car Dog Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle

Water Boat Dog Goggles Vertebrate

Glasses Water Boat Vision care Sunglasses

Hand Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle Car

And breaking my own rules, one of my favorite pics of him from back when he was still a pup.

Dog Dog breed Wood Carnivore Fawn

So post 'em up, as many as you want.

Thanks for reading.

· Registered
2023 Subaru Outback
5,694 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful and happy pup!

I can't even imagine how hard it's going to be when ours go. Their both 10 now. They are only ever in the cars when I take them to boarding but here are a couple snaps from our lab hanging out in our 4Runner. These are from 2014 and 2015. Time sure flies.

Dog Automotive lighting Hood Car Motor vehicle

Dog Carnivore Computer keyboard Dog breed Companion dog

· Registered
48,497 Posts
ugh geez... sorry for the loss :(

heres my old beagle jasper living his best life :D in my old e convertible. i have a similar story as yours of picking him up from a foster network. he was a little older when we got him, someone originally found him on the street in seattle. he really lived it up in his later life with us though.
unfortunately he also got sick quickly and passed away a handful of years ago, he was probably 12 or so from what we could guess. rip little dude.

997.2 911, MK4 R32, S124 E320, W124 300E, GX470
12,991 Posts
So sorry for your loss. Dogs are truly the greatest gift to humans and my heart hurts thinking about the pain you must be going through losing Pogo.

We have 2 rescues, Demi who is a Great Pyrenees and boxer mix who we adopted on Halloween 2020 from Oklahoma, and Bo (short for Hillsboro) who is a full on mutt and adopted earlier this year in April from Texas. We actually almost renamed Bo Pogo when we got him but decided to keep the name he knew. We think Demi is about 3 and change and we know that Bo turned 4 in July and we make it a point to provide them with the absolute best lives they can be living 🐶

🐕

· Registered
Lifted Prius, Panel gaps
13,373 Posts
Sorry to hear that. It's not an easy thing to have to do.

Our first two dogs traveled all over the country with us. Both moved from MO to CA to CO to NC with us and tons of vacations in between. Surprisingly, I don't have many pics of them in the car, only at the destinations. Here's good old Bugs on her own bed at a LaQuinta in Amarillo on the way to AZ.

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Comfort Fawn

Bad pic, but here's both of them in a DIY telescoping kennel in the back of my old Si. Great car dogs... they'd go all day like that, no complaints. Miss those two. Bugs made it to 12 and Bear to 16.

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Companion dog

Our new guy Otis isn't a fan of the car, unfortunately. He tried to kill the kennel on the drive home from the foster.

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Dog

· Registered
'23 GTI S, '18 Camry SE, '15 F150 XLT, '91 GTI VR6
6,897 Posts
Very sorry for your loss, OP.

Here's our guy back when he was a young pup, likely not long after we adopted him and he was ~1 year old. This is the only car pic I have of him..

He's also a rescue and quite anxious, and we initially took him everywhere we could to help ease the anxiety and it helped for a while. Then he got attacked on leash while my wife was walking in our neighborhood and he has never been the same since. He's plenty dog-friendly when he's off-leash, but when he's on-leash and not for a walk in our neighborhood (not the same one as we were living in when he was attacked years ago) then he's a nervous nellie. Pretty much his only car rides these days are to the vet every 25 days for his shot, or to the kennel when we board him.

He's 9-10 now, getting kinda grey. He prefers to be at home and up on the couch. Kinda the doggy equivalent of an old man sitting on his rocker on the porch.

(breaking the rule, but I satisfied it above so forgive me)

· Registered
4,137 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of both of your losses. I've attached some pictures of ours lil hounds. Ones a 13 year old grumpy (I mean loving) ******* and the other is a 1 year old puppy.

I know you're a boater so I've attached a few of our "marine vehicle" too hehe

Dog Motor vehicle Car seat cover Vehicle Carnivore

Smile Boat Dog Plant community Sky

Mirror Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle Watch

Dog Vertebrate Couch Comfort Mammal

Glasses Dog Land vehicle Smile Vision care

Dog Sky Carnivore Toy dog Companion dog

Dog Carnivore Comfort Vehicle Dog breed

· Registered
316 Posts
Not in a car but my dog, Baily, loved to ride in the sidecar. He would tolerate the Doggles until he got out of the hack, then he'd pull them off. He passed last April age 15. A dogless house seemed empty so we go a new puppy. I'll be training him in the sidecar this spring.

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
4,137 Posts

· Registered
4,137 Posts
Couple more

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Liver Companion dog

Smile Glasses Dog Goggles Sunglasses

Sky Water Boat Watercraft Naval architecture

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Ear Cap

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Comfort Textile

Smile Watch Dog Vertebrate Comfort