VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
21,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this is a dumb question - I own a Golf and don't follow the NB forum.
I went into my VW dealer in Lausanne, Switzerland a few days ago, and saw a NB in the showroom with a CHF 118,000 (USD $ 71,000) sticker price - isn't this a bit much? Supposedly the car is 225 HP. Not sure if that all comes from the engine in the front, or if there are two engines, 112 HP each, one in the front and one in the back.
The information on the price sticker states that it does 0 to 100 km/h (0 to 63 MPH) in 6.4 seconds, and has a 3.2L engine. Photos attached.
Regards, Michael

·
Registered
21,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Showroom Sticker Price US$ 71,000.- for Ricey looking NB - is this too much? (PanEuropean)

Almost forgot - the interior is a teenagers' dream, carbon fiber everywhere, plus a limited edition serial number plate.
Might be a bit difficult for fat people to get in and out of the seats, though - you could get sort of a 'suction lock' in there, 'specially if you peeled out quick doing a 0 to 60 in 6.4 seconds. Then you might need to drill a hole in the back side of the seat to relieve the vacuum before you could get them out.

[Modified by PanEuropean, 2:07 AM 12-3-2001]

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Re: Showroom Sticker Price US$ 71,000.- for Ricey looking NB - is this too much? (PanEuropean)

Dude you need to wake up and smell the coffee.. That is a six speed RSI Beetle. Yes the sticker is 71,000 bucks. It should be closer to 50k but it may have mark up in the price and your country you live in may not like it's displacement or CO2 rating.
You need to take it for a test drive! The car will then speak for itself, or should I say... the car will then SCREAM for itself!

[Modified by ChrisG, 6:19 PM 12-2-2001]

·
Registered
351 Posts

Well, I would not call it "ricey" but to each his own, I guess.
I find it totally awesome and thanks for the pics! The price though, is kinda insane. But, I am sure there are some rich bastards out there who will buy them all up.

·
Registered
21,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Showroom Sticker Price US$ 71,000.- for Ricey looking NB - is this too much? (nblover)

Stuff in Switzerland is more expensive than elsewhere - so that probably accounts for the difference between the Swiss price, and what Chris G. said it should cost ($50K).
Were these imported into North America?
Michael

·
Registered
21,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Showroom Sticker Price US$ 71,000.- for Ricey looking NB - is this too much? (ChrisG)

Chris - well, I see your point, but fer Pete's sake, you could buy a 540 for that price. I mean, I like VW products a lot, and just bought my 7th VW in a row last month, but if you had $71 large floating around, would you buy the above NB, or a new 5er? Honest, now?
Michael

[Modified by PanEuropean, 5:13 AM 12-3-2001]

·
Registered
1,368 Posts

i dont think its ricey if you ask me i think its awesome. Slap a turbo on that and its over heh.

·
Registered
21,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Showroom Sticker Price US$ 71,000.- for Ricey looking NB - is this too much? (Brown E)

Sorry, meant to type "RSI" and put in "Ricey" by mistake - they both sound the same, and I woke up this morning in Switzerland, and am typing this from Canada - blame it on the jet lag (6 hour difference)...

·
Registered
2,975 Posts

Wow, the RSI. One of the few beetles that I would happily drive.
That thing is sweet. Every square inch, including the wing

·
Registered
479 Posts
Re: Showroom Sticker Price US$ 71,000.- for Ricey looking NB - is this too much? (schleppy)

Smart money would be to spend a couple grand more and get the M5, if you like the 5 series BMW. I really can't see spending that much for a NB.

·
Registered
21,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Showroom Sticker Price US$ 71,000.- for Ricey looking NB - is this too much? (1.8t)

Reasonable comment, however, remember the price differential USA vs. CH. For $71K in CH, all you could get would be a nice 540. For $50K in the USA, the same thing. So pricewise, this fancy NB is in the same league as a 540, rather than a M5.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Re: Showroom Sticker Price US$ 71,000.- for Ricey looking NB - is this too much? (1.8t)

Hate the wing, hate the stickers, don't really like the interior color, wouldn't pay the sticker even if it was available here. VW could have made the RSi worth the money, but instead they went for the concept car flashy look. Of course, just my opinion.

·
Registered
21,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]I would then go for a slightly used M5!
[HR][/HR]​
Hoo-wee, not me, buddy! I might have been born this morning, but I wasn't born yesterday! I wouldn't buy a used M5 from anyone, except perhaps a Priest's wife who only drove it on Sundays. Can you imagine the abuse that any of these muscle cars must take in their last days, after the original owner has decided to sell it / trade it in / not renew the lease / allow it to be repossessed for missed payments (pick the reason of your choice.) Sort of "well, I guess I can find out just how bad 'ya can beat it up, cuz it ain't gonna be my problem once I give it back."
No thank you. I might buy a used Yugo, but not a used M5.

·
Registered
184 Posts

That's a fat looking VW http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
but man - for 70K I would go shopping for something else (like Porsche) http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
479 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I would then go for a slightly used M5!

Hoo-wee, not me, buddy! I might have been born this morning, but I wasn't born yesterday! I wouldn't buy a used M5 from anyone, except perhaps a Priest's wife who only drove it on Sundays. Can you imagine the abuse that any of these muscle cars must take in their last days, after the original owner has decided to sell it / trade it in / not renew the lease / allow it to be repossessed for missed payments (pick the reason of your choice.) Sort of "well, I guess I can find out just how bad 'ya can beat it up, cuz it ain't gonna be my problem once I give it back."
No thank you. I might buy a used Yugo, but not a used M5.[HR][/HR]​
Well you have to know what your looking at and do your homework, the M5 is a well built car, and designed for high speed and handling. I own an M5 and never abuse my car and everone in the M5 club I know ever abuses their car. Maybe you may abuse your car before selling it but, most guys I know that have really nice collector/muscle cars do not abuse their machine. That does't mean they don't take it out and enjoy it, but
Go out and by a Yugo then, let me know how it runs

·
Registered
1,923 Posts

for 70, you could make your own RSi for cheaper. Although your first posts were thick with sarcasm, I believe that most every NB owner can appriciate the RSi for what it is, a limited edition beetle on steroids.

·
Registered
479 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]1.8T:
The used Yugo was bought for the maid and the butler, I would never drive it myself.
[HR][/HR]​
Oh,.......I see the Yugo is not good enough for you. Out of curiosity what do you own or I should say drive? You sound like you lease/rent your cars.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts