VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw on TV that the space shuttle, while re-entering the atmosphere, broke up and dissintegrated. There were 6 Americans and 1 Isreali aboard.

Someone got video footage also.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Re: Shuttle breaks up on re-entry this morning (mpmark)

just found out that like the challenger accident nasa made another mistake, cnn said that each shuttle is designed for maximum 100 missions, this was columbia's 113th mission and was the oldest shuttle in its fleet.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Re: Shuttle breaks up on re-entry this morning (mpmark)

quote:[HR][/HR]just found out that like the challenger accident nasa made another mistake, cnn said that each shuttle is designed for maximum 100 missions, this was columbia's 113th mission and was the oldest shuttle in its fleet.
[HR][/HR]​
CNN's report says it's only Columbia's 28th mission......

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
Re: Shuttle breaks up on re-entry this morning (V6R)

quote:[HR][/HR]just seen it very sad
[HR][/HR]​
Very Sad!!!!!! I still remember the day the challenger blew up! Pretty Shocking
I wonder how long the shuttle program will be grounded this time.

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
Re: Shuttle breaks up on re-entry this morning (asylum)

One thing I don't understand is why would the U.S. put an Isreali astronaut on a shuttle flight at this point in time with everything that has been going on in the Middle East?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Re: Shuttle breaks up on re-entry this morning (SciroccoGirl)

quote:[HR][/HR]just found out that like the challenger accident nasa made another mistake, cnn said that each shuttle is designed for maximum 100 missions, this was columbia's 113th mission and was the oldest shuttle in its fleet.

CNN's report says it's only Columbia's 28th mission......
[HR][/HR]​

opps....shows you i listen too much into the news, after looking at it more, it was shuttle mission 113 and columbia mission 28, and each shuttle is designed for 100 missions. i dont know why they made a big deal about the 113 then. but i was wrong.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Re: Shuttle breaks up on re-entry this morning (vrfast)

This is great lost for all. First of all we lost some of the best and brightest people, and then the discoveries in science that would of followed them.
We also lost a space shuttle. I can only hope the states will not decide to reduce the budget accorded to NASA because of this (and hopefully not divert the money to fund the military).
As someone who believes firmly that humanity's future lies in the conquest of space, I really hate to see us hit a bump like this.

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
Re: Shuttle breaks up on re-entry this morning (Jamez)

Aperantly there was some damage to one of the engines on take off, and they belive it may have broke off and damaged some of the heat tiles on the shuttle.
Of course this is all a guess so far.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Re: Shuttle breaks up on re-entry this morning (asylum)

quote:[HR][/HR]One thing I don't understand is why would the U.S. put an Isreali astronaut on a shuttle flight at this point in time with everything that has been going on in the Middle East?
[HR][/HR]​
they have such a strict security that it wont matter who is on the shuttle. Not too many nations are capable of sabotaging the NASA shuttles. Russia, England and China are the only nations to have enough resources to do this. However; why would they do it? This is simply an accident

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Re: Shuttle breaks up on re-entry this morning (kickster)

my thoughts and prayers are with the family members of the crew of the Space shuttle... such sad sad news...
on a side note: I was royally pissed that immediately the press began saying it could be related to Terrorism...

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Re: Shuttle breaks up on re-entry this morning (kickster)

real sad news. i just hope that this doesnt slow space exploration and the space program itself too much. im sure the astronauts on board would never want that to happen. ive been watching BBC from england just now and already they are talking about the worth of space launches.

RIP to the crew and all our thoughts to their families

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.