VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been waiting since MAY for my fully loaded 24V GTI. Its a hell of a car, but I've been dicked around by VW for months trying to found out when it will arrive. My lease has been up since May 25th, and the guy that I'm leasing from extended my lease to wait for the 24V. Another issue is that whatever money he will get (minus the buy back) from selling my car when I give it back, he will put against my next lease, so I'm losing money every day. I wanted a VW with tech pkg options, and a manual tranny. Hence, the 24V GTI. The only other car to offer that (i think) is a FWD Passat V6 GLX. I realize these are two completely different cars, but is the Passat a sporty alternative? Will it be quick/fun to drive with a CAI and a good cat-back exhaust?
I love to know what you passat mavens have to say.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Re: sick of waiting for 24V GTI. I think I'm gonna go FWD Passat GLX (RichieVR)

I think the jury is still out regarding the effectiveness of a CAI on a Passat. Of course a cat-back exhaust couldn't hurt.
I get the sense from your post that you are feeling pressure to get into another car soon. You obviously would rather have the GTI, and I'd be concerned that the Passat may not be to your liking after the newness factor wears off. Be sure this is what you want. Wouldn't a Jetta GLI be closer in feel to a 24V GTI? Don't jump without looking.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: sick of waiting for 24V GTI. I think I'm gonna go FWD Passat GLX (Ronbo)

i have a jetta now, and I'd like to go with something else. Besides, the GLI doesn't come with the options I want, namely climate control, power seats, in-dash computer, rain sensor, or a self dimming mirror, and the GLX doesn't come in manual (thank you VW). I'm sure the GTI/Jetta has a much tighter feel than the Passat, but the Passat FWD GLX seems to be the only car in the VW lineup with the options I want (manual tranny and all the doo dads)besides the 24V GTI.
Are there any Passat V6's on this forum that are seriously modded? It might be an interesting project for me coming from the MKIV world.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]i have a jetta now, and I'd like to go with something else. Besides, the GLI doesn't come with the options I want, namely climate control, power seats, in-dash computer, rain sensor, or a self dimming mirror, and the GLX doesn't come in manual (thank you VW). I'm sure the GTI/Jetta has a much tighter feel than the Passat, but the Passat FWD GLX seems to be the only car in the VW lineup with the options I want (manual tranny and all the doo dads)besides the 24V GTI.
Are there any Passat V6's on this forum that are seriously modded? It might be an interesting project for me coming from the MKIV world.[HR][/HR]​
I have a Jetta. I think the Passat is the best styled sedan in the entire world. Its curves are perfect and it just looks so inviting. The only reason I got a Jetta was because a fully loaded Jetta was several Gs less than a fully loaded Passat (even though I do like the styling of the Jetta). I look at Passats pass by and I think they look amazing! I wouldn't be mad to get one at all!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: sick of waiting for 24V GTI. I think I'm gonna go FWD Passat GLX (brent0226)

ya i think its a sweet ride also. And it wouldn't hurt to have a backseat for a change. The back seat looks HUGE. Besides, I'm 6 feet, and it would feel quite liberating to not have to move my seat up all the way to accommodate people sitting behind me. When I go out with my buddies, it looks like we're in a clown car.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Keep in mind that the GTI comes with "sport suspension" (although still not stiff enough for most enthusiasts), and the Passat is equipped with the squishiest stuff on the planet (and rides higher than some SUVs). You will be squatting and diving your way to new suspension faster than you can say "torpedoed frigate".... Just make sure you factor that into the equation.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts

Rich,I have a 2001 GLX 5 Speed. Last of the B5's. I had an 86 Jetta Coupe (slightly modded
)before the Passat. Click my album for pics. I have chipped,BroSpeed exhaust by Bosal ( sounds sooo sweet) ,suspension,brake and lighting upgrades and I don't regret buying this car. Sure,1.8T's are faster when modded,lets not get into that debate again, but if you've driven a 5 speed V6 and like it, you will not have "buyers remorse". Go with your first reaction. It's usually the right way. Life just flies by at 152 mph......

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: sick of waiting for 24V GTI. I think I'm gonna go FWD Passat GLX (VWGUY4EVER)

thanks for the info. I haven't made any final decisions yet, but I think I will test drive one to know for sure. The 1.8T isn't even an issue, I'm definetly gonna go V6 no matter what I get. BTW VWGUY4EVER, you're link didn't work, and I'm really curious to see what your car looks like. When you get it working, I'd love to see your ride.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts

Don't be shy! Get the Passat GLX with the options you want: Add some 17s, adjust the suspension, and voilà!
I waited 3+ months for a 24V GTI and ended up getting a GTI 337. I don't regret my decision at all, but the Passat V6 was second on my list....
Great Car!

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Re: sick of waiting for 24V GTI. I think I'm gonna go FWD Passat GLX (gweedo)

Rich, straightened out the link. I don't know how it got changed. Same thing happened to it over at ClubB5 but it works now.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: sick of waiting for 24V GTI. I think I'm gonna go FWD Passat GLX (VWGUY4EVER)

thanks dude. I think your car looks fabulous. I've decided (after much soul searching) to go with the Passat, and now I just have to locate one. I called a dealership, and apparently a black/beige GLX FWD 5-speed is hard to come by. The salesman started laying the "special order" trip on me, telling me it will take 2-3 months. I hope if I sacrifice the black/beige preference, I can find one in a reasonable amount of time.
Thank you for your input. I'll let you know what happens.

[Modified by RichieVR, 5:45 PM 8-6-2002]

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

Two huge differences in cars, the GTI and the Passat.
If you are waiting for the GTI 24v, then I'd still wait. You're already in a continued lease agreement and you might as well. I was looking into a 24v GTI as well, but said the wait was no long and ordered a new A4 on Halloween 2001. I got it 83 days later.
The 12v GTi that I testdrove before was a blast, coming from a 8v 91. But I wanted the 24v, with the six speed transmission. So I looking into the passat GLX 5-speed . . . it was OK, but I hated the way it dove into corners. Seemed front heavy, with the weight of the V6 and FWD. So I went over to audi and test drove a 2001 2.8Q. Having the same engine as the passat glx; it was a totally different car though. Quick, nimble and responsive, I signed for a 2002 without driving one a week later.
Bottom line: Don't settle for something you might regret in the near future. You're already waiting. . . just a bit longer!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: sick of waiting for 24V GTI. I think I'm gonna go FWD Passat GLX (moonturban)

how is the A4 1.8T? That's a car I'm also considering. The A4 1.8T and Passat GLX are roughly the same price and I think the only reason I'm would go for the Passat is the V6. The A4 3.0 is way out of my league. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the new A4.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

i went from a 2000 vr6 gti 5 spd to an 02 glx 4mo with the tip and i love my passat. don't get me wrong, i have days where i long for the gti - heck, the passat ain't even in the same ballpark when it comes to handling and overall zip factor, but i've come to cherish the refinement of the passat. it's definitely a big step up in luxury and i still get quite a lot of performance out of it.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: sick of waiting for 24V GTI. I think I'm gonna go FWD Passat GLX (amgvw)

ya. I'm 26 and I think it might be time for me to go with something a little more supple. The only benefit I see to getting a 200 hp GTI is the speed and maneuverability. I need a smooth car to chill me out. Besides, I heard the Passat GLX 5-speed is pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]how is the A4 1.8T? That's a car I'm also considering. The A4 1.8T and Passat GLX are roughly the same price and I think the only reason I'm would go for the Passat is the V6. The A4 3.0 is way out of my league. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the new A4.[HR][/HR]​
Too bad you live up in Montreal, and not where I live. . . else I'd give you a ride
Seriously though, go to your local Audi dealer and test drive a new A4 1.8T. quattro, stick and a turbo is the way to go. That is what turned me off about the passat, is that I could not get 4motion in stick.
The new A4 is a nice car, very nice. Nothing personal to VW (and I've owned and still own a few), but Audi is just a step above (running for an extinguisher!). Just the way the car feels and drives is completely different, go figure . . . but it is. The 3.0 is nice as well, 6 speed with all luxuries but I felt that the 1.8T was the way to go. Saved some money I'm putting towards modifications, and I'll brake the 220HP and torque of the 3.0 no problem. (Whenever APR released their software . . . bah!) I opted for all options in the 1.8T, except tiptronic and I haven't looked back since!!
Little bit more that a 4motion passat, but well worth the money.
Check it out

1 - 20 of 20 Posts