VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys use the side mirror defroster much? What bugs me is after it melts the frost away from the mirrors, the water droplets dry almost immediately, and you get these spots all throughout. I actually had to stop, get out of my car (I'm not about to lower my frozen windows) and wipe the water spots off with a cloth this morning.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Re: Side Mirror Defrost (.:: dropFROG ::.)

And I was worried about my non-power steering and actually getting my car running in the morning.
Life is tough, sometimes you gotta wipe.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Re: Side Mirror Defrost (Dreamstate)

Well if you really want a solution, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to get some BMW or VOLVO headlight wipers and jimmy-rig them to run on your mirrors

·
Premium Member
35,022 Posts
Re: Side Mirror Defrost (Strupo)

somtimes my car starts after jump starting it with another car. i wish i had your problems

~spoonie

·
Banned
2,013 Posts
Re: Side Mirror Defrost (superfastic)

quote:[HR][/HR]Do you guys use the side mirror defroster much? What bugs me is after it melts the frost away from the mirrors, the water droplets dry almost immediately, and you get these spots all throughout. I actually had to stop, get out of my car (I'm not about to lower my frozen windows) and wipe the water spots off with a cloth this morning. [HR][/HR]​
Are you kidding me? Man I am happy that the car has heating that takes 1 hour to actually warm the car and that is in the GTI.....and not to mention the useless wiper on the back window that does nothing for you at all.....You engage it and it smuges and smears and chatters for five wipes and the water does not even make it third way up the window, then it freezes in the door lock below and my car will not lock......Please be serious about having to wipe down your side mirrors.
Be happy you have side mirrors - they are usually extra on rice cars....

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Side Mirror Defrost (blood red GTI)

quote:[HR][/HR]
Please be serious about having to wipe down your side mirrors.
Be happy you have side mirrors - they are usually extra on rice cars....[HR][/HR]​

I guess mine was more of an MKIV issue. It's just annoying when you're on the 401 like I do every day to work, and you can't see anything thru your side mirror cause it's all blotched up and you're trying to merge in the dark at >100km/hr with the 5 meter allowance you get. BTW it's the law to have side mirrors on your car.

·
Registered
6,914 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Do you guys use the side mirror defroster much? What bugs me is after it melts the frost away from the mirrors, the water droplets dry almost immediately, and you get these spots all throughout. I actually had to stop, get out of my car (I'm not about to lower my frozen windows) and wipe the water spots off with a cloth this morning. [HR][/HR]​
Damn...I think something must be wrong with my side mirror defrosters.
Mine takes forever until ice actually melts away. It gets slightly warm at best.

(One more thing for me to complain about next time I'm at the dealership
)

·
Registered
899 Posts

I just realized the other day that I've been driving with them ON for the last 7 months or so. And I DID read the manual, I guess it didn't sink in!

·
Premium Member
4,874 Posts
Re: Side Mirror Defrost (UnitedCigar)

Centre position on a Mk4 keeps the mirror heat on. I keep mine there all the time...with a four year warranty, those elements can keep working away.
I also find it looks somehow untidy if the switch is left on the left or the right position, almost like walking into your house and forgetting to close the door behind you.

·
Banned
2,013 Posts
Re: Side Mirror Defrost (Jouko Haapanen)

quote:[HR][/HR]Centre position on a Mk4 keeps the mirror heat on. I keep mine there all the time...with a four year warranty, those elements can keep working away. [HR][/HR]​
Oh my God, I thought if you leave it in centre it is in idle until you move the JOYstick toward the defrost icon....boy, i am an idiot...I have been doing just that......

·
Registered
6,467 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR] BTW it's the law to have side mirrors on your car. [HR][/HR]​
First off i know the problem your are talking about and yes it can be a very big pain the the a$$.
Second the funny thing is the only mirror by law that you have to have is the driver side mirror, the rest are considered extras. I had my drivers training in a car that another student had ripped the passanger side mirror off. and they said it was perfectly legal to drive with out it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Re: Side Mirror Defrost (UnitedCigar)

quote:[HR][/HR]heh i dont think mine work either. infact i am sure they dont
i wonder if a check engine light would come on if it wasnt working ?

[HR][/HR]​
I actually read another post on this yesterday - I've had mine on since I bought the car - over a year now. Tested them last night and they don't work anymore (Hope the warranty covers this). Apparently, only way to test it is using a VAG-COM (thank God I have one). My next service is due in a few weeks so I'll hopefully get it fixed and live with the non-symmetry of leaving it on the L

·
Registered
899 Posts
Re: Side Mirror Defrost (Jouko Haapanen)

Yeah, well, unlike me, you don't have to take a day of work (not that I really mind that...) to bring your car in to get the elements replaced!

But I do agree w/ you , it does look untidy w/ the switch on the left or right.
quote:[HR][/HR]Centre position on a Mk4 keeps the mirror heat on. I keep mine there all the time...with a four year warranty, those elements can keep working away.
I also find it looks somehow untidy if the switch is left on the left or the right position, almost like walking into your house and forgetting to close the door behind you.
[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Re: Side Mirror Defrost (Sawdust)

quote:[HR][/HR] BTW it's the law to have side mirrors on your car.
First off i know the problem your are talking about and yes it can be a very big pain the the a$$.
Second the funny thing is the only mirror by law that you have to have is the driver side mirror, the rest are considered extras. I had my drivers training in a car that another student had ripped the passanger side mirror off. and they said it was perfectly legal to drive with out it.
[HR][/HR]​
heh.. back in the day the passanger side mirror was an "option" you had to pay for

·
Registered
899 Posts
Re: Side Mirror Defrost (Terragen)

Yep!
My first car (a 1990 Hyundai Excel) didn't have a passenger side mirror.
Or a 5th gear either for that matter...or rear wiper....or ac....
quote:[HR][/HR] heh.. back in the day the passanger side mirror was an "option" you had to pay for
[HR][/HR]​

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.