VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed some clears on the GLI, so I thought I would do a little DIY writeup on the installation. It took me about two minutes.
This pic is just showing the front of the sidemarker where you need to push.

On the front, push firmling inward with your thumb, it feals a little strange, but you cant hurt anything. Then it will pop in, and it will come right out. Then just pull out the bulb, put it in the new one and your all set.

Here are the results, I love it!

Modified by IchBinDarren at 5:27 PM 2-9-2006

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (Dexman1349)

Yep their from Ebay, I am very pleased with them. They are decent quality and they fit well. No complaints, I highly reccomend them. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
492 Posts
Re: Sidemarker install DIY. (IchBinDarren)

I just changed my sidemarker lights not but 15 mins ago! But I didn't have the balls to do that! Instead, I approached from the inside of the fender through the hood and released the long tab on the rear-facing side of the housing -- at least on the driver's side.
For the passenger's side, I removed three inner fender well screws to achieve easy access to it. First I tried by coming in from behind the fog light. No go. My hand was too big.
Nice advice, though! Wish I had seen it 30 minutes earlier

The clear sidemarker lights are on ebay. Fit is good, price is about $43 delievered, and shipping is FAST.
mark

Modified by GTIwinters at 3:40 AM 2-10-2006

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Sidemarker install DIY. (GTIwinters)

Quote, originally posted by GTIwinters »
I just changed my sidemarker lights not but 15 mins ago! But I didn't have the balls to do that! Instead, I approached from the inside of the fender through the hood and released the long tab on the rear-facing side of the housing -- at least on the driver's side.
For the passenger's side, I removed three inner fender well screws to achieve easy access to it. First I tried by coming in from behind the fog light. No go. My hand was too big.
Nice advice, though! Wish I had seen it 30 minutes earlier

The clear sidemarker lights are on ebay. Fit is good, price is about $43 delievered, and shipping is FAST.
mark

Thats funny, it only took me TWO minutes!
Well at least now you know.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Re: Sidemarker install DIY. (IchBinDarren)

Quote, originally posted by IchBinDarren »

Thats funny, it only took me TWO minutes!
Well at least now you know.

I actually had a harder time removing the bulb than pulling the housing. I used a screwdriver and just pried it out. Just a little pressure (not even enough to scratch the paint), and pop.
That simple.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Sidemarker install DIY. (Dexman1349)

Quote, originally posted by Dexman1349 »
I actually had a harder time removing the bulb than pulling the housing. I used a screwdriver and just pried it out. Just a little pressure (not even enough to scratch the paint), and pop.
That simple.

Yes it can take a little bit of pulling to get it out, luckily mine were pretty simple on both cars.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Sidemarker install DIY. (GPC777)

Quote, originally posted by GPC777 »
Does anyone know if these are the same for the GTI? And....do they have smoked ones?

I am pretty sure they work for the GTI, hopefully someone who knows for sure will chime in. But yes they do offer smoked. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Re: (Dexman1349)

Quote, originally posted by Dexman1349 »
There's a small clear bulb. It just pulls straight out of the housing.
Wow I didn't even realize the lit up. Did you happen to see what type of bulb it was or took a pic. I'm thinking it would be a good idear to replace the clear bulb with an orange one when using smoked or clear markers.

·
Registered
23,422 Posts
Re: (blackvento36)

That's the idea - at least for me.

So - without checking - do the online suppliers also sell the orange bulbs/ LEDs (with resistor) ?

Modified by feels_road at 1:31 AM 2-10-2006

·
Registered
256 Posts
Re: (GTIwinters)

I was wondering when these would become available!! Just ordered a pair of smoked sidemarkers. Those yellow ones were a total eyesore and the first thing I wanted to take care of. My first mod on the new car (a weak one, but many more to come!)
schweeeeet.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.