VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
18,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has a 2012 Volt on a 2 year lease - and it was amazing. Put around 20k miles on it, only put gas in it 7 or 8 times? Turned it in with > 250mpg lifetime on it. Never even had the oil changed... because I only had like 1,000 miles (or less) on the gas motor. It went into the shop once for a software update, and I got a Cruze LTZ for a loaner which was better than expected.

Picking up the Volt by jabella, on Flickr

But the back seat was TINY, and we had a baby, so when the lease was up, back it went. Picked up a RAV4 for my wife and I went back to driving our 2010 Subaru Legacy:

2010 Subaru Legacy Limited by jabella, on Flickr

It was the first year of the 'fifth gen' - and the 'limited' model. It always had the '5th gen shimmy' problem, alignments, new tires, mount and balance, road force balance, etc. Never quite went away. Put 76k miles on it, but now it needed a windshield, brakes all the way around, inspection, an oil change, and it still has that goddamn vibration. And it's 6 years old. Time to go!

One thing about buying a hybrid when gas prices are down: NOBODY is buying them. My local Toyota dealer is moving a ****load of camrys and corollas (and I watched an older couple write a check on a $38k Avalon) - but nobody else is looking a Prius. Got over $4k off sticker, about $1200 off the TrueCar price - and couldn't pass it up. Even got more than expected on the trade, since I thought they'd really ding me over the windshield. Oh, and 0% financing. Free money!

Anyway, here it is - just like every other one!

New car! by jabella, on Flickr

It's a Blizzard Pearl 'Five' model - only options it's really missing are the Advanced Tech Pack (Radar Cruise, Lane Keep Assist, Auto Parking) and the Solar Sunroof - which I've been reading bad things about. Has the 17's stock. LED headlights, LED DRL, LED tails, Halogen (?) fogs.

2015 Prius "Five" by jabella, on Flickr

It's not quite as 'doorstop' shaped as I remembered them being?

2015 Prius "Five" by jabella, on Flickr

First commute was today.

Distance: 14.6 miles
Average Speed: 28 mph
Consumption: 50.7 mpg

Not bad! :D

·
Registered
S2000, E320
7,749 Posts
Perfect time to buy. :thumbup:

Now if only there were a way to buy 'options' on car prices like you can on stocks... I'd be buying call options on all Prius models/EVs/hybrids :D

What goes wrong with the solar roof?

·
Registered
18,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perfect time to buy. :thumbup:

Now if only there were a way to buy 'options' on car prices like you can on stocks... I'd be buying call options on all Prius models/EVs/hybrids :D

What goes wrong with the solar roof?
Some of them are discoloring in weird ways - and people who know more about big-time solar installs seem to think it's a delamination problem? Who knows - but for a car that's consistently picked to go over 200k miles without incident, it seems like a safe option to pass on.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
How are the driving dynamics compared to 944? :laugh:
I might just trade my '11 Maxima for a new plug in Prius or Lexus clone. We have a child too and California gas prices are creeping up.
Is it worth going for a plug in model??

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Welcome to the club. I'm in a lowly Prius C, but life is good at 50+ MPG (if you can stomach driving a Prius).
I swear I'd be tempted if they'd throw in a conventional cluster/dash from the Corolla or something but that center mount/clock just kills it (and the steering). I think they look just fine from the outside. And hard to argue with the $$$.

·
Registered
43,110 Posts
but that center mount/clock just kills it (and the steering).
agreed

they dont look as bad as they used to from the outside, and seeing enough of them around makes it a more palatable style, but that interior is awful.

its hard to beat that mpg though.

do they all have the "drive xx miles on pure electric" feature, or is that a specific version?

·
Banned
7,776 Posts
Jolly good to see another person taking advantage of how cheap they are right now. :beer:

One question, do you have an MPG readout in the area with the speedo/odo/etc., or is it down in the center screen? The only way you can see current MPG on mine is in the center screen, and it's annoying as all get out.

·
Registered
35,938 Posts
do they all have the "drive xx miles on pure electric" feature, or is that a specific version?
The standard Prius can only do about 0.7 to 1.1 miles at speeds no higher than 42mph. There's a separate Plug-In Prius model that is rated something like 11-14 miles of EV range, speeds up to something in the 60mph area on electric. Still, it's so expensive that it's going to be a very hard sell against the 2016 Volt and is already not very compelling against the regular Prius unless you can get a larger discount from the dealer on a PiP than they'll offer you on a well-optioned Prius. Based on what the OP posted, the discounts are already excellent on the normal Prius. We'll see in the next 6-12 months what the 4th gen Prius brings to the table.

·
Registered
18,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How are the driving dynamics compared to 944? :laugh:
I might just trade my '11 Maxima for a new plug in Prius or Lexus clone. We have a child too and California gas prices are creeping up.
Is it worth going for a plug in model??
I pretty sure I just read that the Plug-in model is being axed, and they're just letting stock run out. Sales were slow.

(I forget the spec on it, but it doesn't go nearly as far as a Volt on battery)

·
Registered
18,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jolly good to see another person taking advantage of how cheap they are right now. :beer:

One question, do you have an MPG readout in the area with the speedo/odo/etc., or is it down in the center screen? The only way you can see current MPG on mine is in the center screen, and it's annoying as all get out.
Are you talking about instantaneous MPG? You don't have it right next to the speed?

(terrible, blurry pic)

http://imgur.com/uDjyhIs.jpg

·
Super Moderator
7,183 Posts
Congrats. I had a 2010 Prius with the "IV" package - solar roof, nav, leather, in silver. I never mind saying I liked the thing, it was a great DD. My favorite trick was the solar roof powering the interior fan on hot days.

Honestly with all my old cars, I've been thinking about picking up a Volt or Prius again, it's nice to have that one car you never turn a single wrench on :laugh: I just don't think the local Toyota dealers ever have deals on these, it's too popular.

·
Banned
7,776 Posts
Are you talking about instantaneous MPG? You don't have it right next to the speed?

(terrible, blurry pic)

http://imgur.com/uDjyhIs.jpg
Yes, that's it, and no I don't. It's down in the center screen, and it's impossible to read in most lighting situations. I'd like to upgrade to a 3rd gen for that reason alone.

·
Registered
15,302 Posts
Out of curiosity - not out of being an Anti-Prius Jerk - how much better are they to drive than the previous generation? My friend has one that's a few years old and it was one of the worst driving cars I ever experienced. Downright scary. I'm just curious how they've improved the feel on the new cars.

Either way, nice work with the Volt mileage and congrats on the new purchase.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts