VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Sign of the times? VW Arteon flagship to be replaced by 'Electric SUV' by 2024...

• Nah, ID. Aero is a tweener of hatchback sedan and CUV

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Audi S4, e-Tron, and a Toyota appliance
18,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
VW's new flagship will be the ID.aero, an Electric CUV/sedan thingy.

According to a recent report by Automotive News, the end is near for the Volkswagen Arteon. Revealed in 2017 as a replacement for the CC, the Arteon hasn't done too well in the US with just over 7,000 sold to date. That said, VW is committed to keeping a flagship sedan in its lineup and intends on launching a fully electric Arteon successor in 2024.

The Arteon will be replaced by the production version of the ID. Aero concept. Unveiled several months ago, the ID. Aero concept has a theoretical range of 385 miles and is powered by a 77 kWh battery pack. The production ID. Aero has already been spotted on numerous occasions testing in Germany and will be fully unveiled in 2023, followed by deliveries in China and Europe later that year.

Volkswagen will also release the ID. Aero in the US at some point (likely mid-late 2024), as per the following statement on its website:
As the new flagship model of the ID. family, the ID. AERO will therefore be offered globally in future – also in Europe and North America in addition to China.
The ID. Aero will therefore become the third ID vehicle sold in America, after the ID.4 and ID. Buzz. All non-China ID. Aero models will allegedly be manufactured in Europe, meaning US buyers won't be able to avail of any tax credit.

Given the ID. Aero will be a flagship model, expect a starting price of at least $50,000. That said, it should offer considerably more range and space than the Tesla Model 3 (which has now become a $50k car). However, matching Tesla's levels of tech could prove a serious challenge for VW - especially considering the numerous software issues the ID.3 and ID.4 have been plagued with.
Insideevs

·
Registered
18,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The id.Aero is a sedan, not an SUV.

View attachment 221879

Shhh... :p
According to a recent report by Automotive News, the end is near for the Volkswagen Arteon. Revealed in 2017 as a replacement for the CC, the Arteon hasn't done too well in the US with just over 7,000 sold to date. That said, VW is committed to keeping a flagship sedan in its lineup and intends on launching a fully electric Arteon successor in 2024.

·
Registered
18,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looks like one of those akward high-riding cars like the Polestar 2 for example. I don't think it will have the proportions of a "traditional sedan" when seen in the real life.
THIS. It's a Toyota Crown/Honda Crosstour for VW.

·
Registered
18,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
18,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I adore mine. It's been a brilliant car since I got it last year. Tuned with a couple bolt-ons. Hasn't skipped a beat. The power hatch is a bonus too. Tons of space inside and a huge trunk.
(y)Better looking Audi A5, if you ask me. ;)

·
Registered
18,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Maybe high-rider is the wrong word, but I think it will be a much higher car (when measured from the roof) than the Model 3 or the current Arteon that it replaces. I suspect the proportions will be more similar to what we previously associated with Cuvs, just without the ground clearance.
THIS. I think it'd resemble BMW 330i GT, which I used to own. If so, I'd totally buy one. Not Gender-bending, but Genre-bending maybe? Or non-binary, as kids call it nowadays?

·
Registered
18,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
You used to own one of those? Your opinion on design is invalid! :LOL: :LOL:
I ain't gonna lie. I love the Gran Trurismo. :cool:

Hehe my husband still has one and loves it. I do think it's a better vehicle than the contemporary X3.
(y) Your husband has impeccable taste in cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts