VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Sign of the times? VW Arteon flagship to be replaced by 'Electric SUV' by 2024...

• Nah, ID. Aero is a tweener of hatchback sedan and CUV

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
Audi S4, e-Tron, and a Toyota appliance
18,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Maybe high-rider is the wrong word, but I think it will be a much higher car (when measured from the roof) than the Model 3 or the current Arteon that it replaces. I suspect the proportions will be more similar to what we previously associated with Cuvs, just without the ground clearance.
THIS. I think it'd resemble BMW 330i GT, which I used to own. If so, I'd totally buy one. Not Gender-bending, but Genre-bending maybe? Or non-binary, as kids call it nowadays?

·
Registered
A couple CUVs
3,097 Posts
The biggest shock out of this is learning the Arteon is VW's flagship model.

I think I've seen a total of 3 in the flesh.
Haha, well flagship is kind of a dumb term, but the Arteon is their largest and most expensive "car" if that's the definition you want to go with for flagship, and that's three more than you've seen in the US of arguably their actual flagship vehicle - the third generation Touareg (R).

Usually flagship cars are low volume, no? I don't see a lot of Maybach S600s or S90 Recharges on the road either.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+, 2017 Subaru Outback Limited
24,719 Posts
THIS. I think it'd resemble BMW 330i GT, which I used to own. If so, I'd totally buy one. Not Gender-bending, but Genre-bending maybe? Or non-binary, as kids call it nowadays?

You used to own one of those? Your opinion on design is invalid! :LOL: :LOL:

·
Premium Member
13,082 Posts
just give us a ****ing touareg ffs
VW would literally have to give Touaregs away to move decent volume in the US

Let that dream go

As for the ID.Aero.... 3rd recent decent idea from VW ruined by being ~10% too big (Atlas Sport, Arteon, this)

With this being huge I'm still hoping for the US to get the ID.5. I'd honestly rather have that.

·
Registered
A couple CUVs
3,097 Posts
VW would literally have to give Touaregs away to move decent volume in the US

Let that dream go

As for the ID.Aero.... 3rd recent decent idea from VW ruined by being ~10% too big (Atlas Sport, Arteon, this)

With this being huge I'm still hoping for the US to get the ID.5. I'd honestly rather have that.
Yeah, but to be fair to Puma, the Touareg and Arteon are kind of interchangeable in looking at potential US volume, both low.

I'm sure there's several reasons why they decided to bring the Arteon instead of the Touareg, but I think they are all somewhat related to expensive and stylish MQB vs understated and inexpensive MLB. Kind of like Toyota bringing the Crown and not the new Land Cruiser.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Actually, I like Arteon a lot. Even Throttle house guys liked it too.
It's surprisingly good! I think it gets overlooked because of the lack of marketing/push and the 4cly without a 6cly option.

just give us a ****ing touareg ffs
If you look at VW like you would GM, the Cayenne is your 2022 Touareg!

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
I'm with GLI Dan. I honestly had no idea the Arteon was even sold here. Yes, functionally the Atlas is their actual flagship model. That's why it's listed - twice in fact - as the flagship vehicle for sale at vw.com:

View attachment 221917
Surprised even people posting here were unaware the Arteon has been for sale in the US for the last three years considering how many threads have popped up here about them over the years. FWIW nothing in that snip from VW's site implies flagship...simply being listed first doesn't qualify, I'd think.

Haha, well flagship is kind of a dumb term, but the Arteon is their largest and most expensive "car" if that's the definition you want to go with for flagship, and that's three more than you've seen in the US of arguably their actual flagship vehicle - the third generation Touareg (R).

Usually flagship cars are low volume, no? I don't see a lot of Maybach S600s or S90 Recharges on the road either.
Arteon is also by far the highest quality car they sell here, which to me is the true mark of a flagship. An Atlas can technically outprice it by a couple grand at the top end, but that's because the Atlas is huge and uses more raw materials, even if they are cheaper quality.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Yeah, but to be fair to Puma, the Touareg and Arteon are kind of interchangeable in looking at potential US volume, both low.

I'm sure there's several reasons why they decided to bring the Arteon instead of the Touareg, but I think they are all somewhat related to expensive and stylish MQB vs understated and inexpensive MLB. Kind of like Toyota bringing the Crown and not the new Land Cruiser.
Pretty much this, in my eyes, outside of the platform difference, the Touareg and Arteon are effective equivalents in the line up in terms of fit and finish and quality, just one is a stylish car and the other an understated SUV.

·
Premium Member
13,082 Posts

Yep.... if volume is low there's way less risk in a high margin MQB vehicle than what will prob be a low margin MLB vehicle

Plus we saw how that story played out before anyway. My armchair product planning would have combined the Arteon and Atlas Cross Sport...... basically the Arteon should have been a crossover IMO.

·
Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,884 Posts
Maybe high-rider is the wrong word, but I think it will be a much higher car (when measured from the roof) than the Model 3 or the current Arteon that it replaces. I suspect the proportions will be more similar to what we previously associated with crossovers and probably quite similar to the new Citroen C5, just without the ground clearance.
The ID Aero is only 3 inches higher than the Arteon but also longer and wider. It's a sedan.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Pretty much this, in my eyes, outside of the platform difference, the Touareg and Arteon are effective equivalents in the line up in terms of fit and finish and quality, just one is a stylish car and the other an understated SUV.
I mean, I've never been in a current gen Touareg, but if it's anything like the Audi or Porsche MLB vehicles I've test-driven recently, I highly doubt the Arteon and Touareg would be equivalents with fit/finish, and material quality. Don't get me wrong, I love my Arteon, but the interior, while an upgrade over my previous Jetta, isn't as much of an upgrade as you might think given the higher price. As for the MLB cars, and even the Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and other Euro competitors I've test driven, they do have nicer materials, higher level of refinement, as well as more up-to-date and better tech implementation... don't even get me started on better dealer experience... BUT, they're not as pretty and don't offer as many features and space for the money--that, IMO is where the Arteon's value is evident. Where/how else can you get a German-built four door, that is that spacious, that practical, that pretty, and that offers that level of equipment at that price range? You can't. It's all a compromise.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The overall shape of the EV successor is very meh. I'll probably end up in one eventually because it's not an SUV and I'm sure it'll be nice, but in VWs lineup, both historical and current, it's hard to top stuff like the Karmann Ghias, Sciroccos/Corrados, CCs and Arteons--especially with cars with the ID design language.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
I mean, I've never been in a current gen Touareg, but if it's anything like the Audi or Porsche MLB vehicles I've test-driven recently, I highly doubt the Arteon and Touareg would be equivalents with fit/finish, and material quality. Don't get me wrong, I love my Arteon, but the interior, while an upgrade over my previous Jetta, isn't as much of an upgrade as you might think given the higher price. As for the MLB cars, and even the Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and other Euro competitors I've test driven, they do have nicer materials, higher level of refinement, as well as more up-to-date and better tech implementation... don't even get me started on better dealer experience... BUT, they're not as pretty and don't offer as many features and space for the money--that, IMO is where the Arteon's value is evident. Where/how else can you get a German-built four door, that is that spacious, that practical, that pretty, and that offers that level of equipment at that price range? You can't. It's all a compromise.
The Treg would certainly be nicer still as it should for $70k+, but I meant that in a general sense, if you want a nice VW sedan that's properly done, you go straight to Arteon, and if you want a nice VW SUV that's properly done, you go straight to Touareg without really looking at the rest of VW's lineup. Someone shopping one could certainly be someone who may cross shop the other, which I guess is what I'm saying...these are the upper crust vehicles of VW's lineup that appeal to well heeled customers who aren't pretentious or badge conscious yet want something screwed together really well and just done properly. I suppose I wasn't clear in that I was referencing equivalency in product portfolio positioning and generally attracting the same pool of well heeled buyers who seek something well made.

Also in fairness you should spend some time with a facelifted Arteon, a lot of the facelift money went into the interior according to VW execs who directly referenced wanting to make it more in line with the Touareg in terms of quality and materials IIRC. The pre facelift Arteon is still very nice but was rightly criticized for certain things like no chrome bits on the window switches, etc. for the price/placement in the lineup.

·
Registered
1994 Bmw 540i Touring, 1974 Bmw 2500
4,149 Posts
The ID Aero is only 3 inches higher than the Arteon but also longer and wider. It's a sedan.

The production dimensions have been released? I also have never said it wasn't a sedan, just one awkward proportioned one. Neither the C5 or the Polestar 2 are considered crossovers either, but they both belong in the group of modern cars that are too high for what we traditionally associate with their category. So do the Id.3.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The Treg would certainly be nicer still as it should for $70k+, but I meant that in a general sense, if you want a nice VW sedan that's properly done, you go straight to Arteon, and if you want a nice VW SUV that's properly done, you go straight to Touareg without really looking at the rest of VW's lineup. Someone shopping one could certainly be someone who may cross shop the other, which I guess is what I'm saying...these are the upper crust vehicles of VW's lineup that appeal to well heeled customers who aren't pretentious or badge conscious yet want something screwed together really well and just done properly. I suppose I wasn't clear in that I was referencing equivalency in product portfolio positioning and generally attracting the same pool of well heeled buyers who seek something well made.

Also in fairness you should spend some time with a facelifted Arteon, a lot of the facelift money went into the interior according to VW execs who directly referenced wanting to make it more in line with the Touareg in terms of quality and materials IIRC. The pre facelift Arteon is still very nice but was rightly criticized for certain things like no chrome bits on the window switches, etc. for the price/placement in the lineup.
Ahhh, I get what you're saying.

I currently own a '21 Arteon that was built in October of 2020, and I test drove two pre-facelift versions prior to purchasing. For the most part, I think the interior is on-point, I just think they could have used a nicer (larger) infotainment and digital cockpit with higher resolution, and maybe a more emotional interior design. However, the looks, practicality, features and price per dollar makes me forget about any gripes.

·
Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,884 Posts
The production dimensions have been released? I also have never said it wasn't a sedan, just one awkward proportioned one. Neither the C5 or the Polestar 2 are considered crossovers either, but they both belong in the group of modern cars that are too high for what we traditionally associate with their category. So do the Id.3.
Yes the dimensions have been released. But all you have to do is look at it to see it's the same type of vehicle as an Arteon, A5 or Ioniq 6

21 - 40 of 67 Posts