VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Sign of the times? VW Arteon flagship to be replaced by 'Electric SUV' by 2024...

• Nah, ID. Aero is a tweener of hatchback sedan and CUV

Votes: 0 0.0%
41 - 58 of 67 Posts

· Registered
277 Posts
I'm not a fan of vehicle with thick flanks (is that the right term)? Makes them look like they have thunder thighs.

Throw some stippling at it and you have a vehicle with cottage cheese thighs. Picture that while you eat your morning bagel! ;)

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

· Registered
38,942 Posts
That looks like a 2018 Nissan Sentra from the side. Maybe that's why I've never seen one in person and didn't realize they actually sell them here. In fact if anything I think the Sentra might be more attractive.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

· Registered
9,697 Posts
The Treg would certainly be nicer still as it should for $70k+, but I meant that in a general sense, if you want a nice VW sedan that's properly done, you go straight to Arteon, and if you want a nice VW SUV that's properly done, you go straight to Touareg without really looking at the rest of VW's lineup. Someone shopping one could certainly be someone who may cross shop the other, which I guess is what I'm saying...these are the upper crust vehicles of VW's lineup that appeal to well heeled customers who aren't pretentious or badge conscious yet want something screwed together really well and just done properly. I suppose I wasn't clear in that I was referencing equivalency in product portfolio positioning and generally attracting the same pool of well heeled buyers who seek something well made.
Why would the so-called "well heeled buyers" even stop at a VW showroom for an upscale SUV when Audi is right next door with the Q7? Particularly for $70+?

· Registered
Audi S4, e-Tron, and a Toyota appliance
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
You used to own one of those? Your opinion on design is invalid! :LOL: :LOL:
I ain't gonna lie. I love the Gran Trurismo. :cool:

Hehe my husband still has one and loves it. I do think it's a better vehicle than the contemporary X3.
(y) Your husband has impeccable taste in cars.

· Registered
1994 Bmw 540i Touring, 1974 Bmw 2500
4,313 Posts
Yes the dimensions have been released. But all you have to do is look at it to see it's the same type of vehicle as an Arteon, A5 or Ioniq 6
Where have those dimensions been released? Care to share it as I couldn't find it?

I have looked at it and it certainly don't look like the proportions of a "traditional sedan" but perhaps they are just gone for miniscule wheels similar to a Kadett B.

The only dimensions I've found online says that it will "probably be 1,53m high", which is actually higher than the Citroen C5 (1,503 m high) I compared it with and I thought it would end up with similar proportions as. If true it's also higher than the Polestar 2 I compared with and it's almost as high as the EV6 and the I-pace.

· Registered
7,494 Posts
Why would the so-called "well heeled buyers" even stop at a VW showroom for an upscale SUV when Audi is right next door with the Q7? Particularly for $70+?
I don't know, ask someone who bought a Touareg when they were still offered here. Maybe some people just liked the VW more and knew they were still getting a very high quality vehicle.

But by and large they wouldn't and didn't, because Americans are vapid badge whores who buy things to impress people they don't know. Obviously the Touareg was a failure in the US because of your exact sentiment and because VW was clueless that that vehicle played in a lease heavy segment and provided no subsidization via inflated residuals like BMW. The reality is people would rather buy a lower trim, lesser equipped, higher badged car in this country for the same price because the badge is all anyone really cares about even if the badge comes with ugly poverty pizza cutter wheels, leatherette, no ventilated seats, etc. etc. As long as it has that badge to flex on the Karen down the street!

It's well understood Americans by and large have no taste and are badge conscious, which is why we get garbage like the Atlas while the rest of the world gets the Touareg. Everybody in this country/this forum complains about how we don't get the good stuff but when it's actually offered (Touareg, Arteon), etc., people find a reason to **** on it anyway and buy a plastic fantastic $25k Subaru instead.

· Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,036 Posts
Where have those dimensions been released? Care to share it as I couldn't find it?

I have looked at it and it certainly don't look like the proportions of a "traditional sedan" but perhaps they are just gone for miniscule wheels similar to a Kadett B.

The only dimensions I've found online says that it will "probably be 1,53m high", which is actually higher than the Citroen C5 (1,503 m high) I compared it with and I thought it would end up with similar proportions as. If true it's also higher than the Polestar 2 I compared with and it's almost as high as the EV6 and the I-pace.

I don't know why people keep posting photos of the disguised prototype when the (almost production) car has already been unveiled.

· Registered
4,313 Posts

I don't know why people keep posting photos of the disguised prototype when the (almost production) car has already been unveiled.
That's a concept car and also don't mention the height of this thing. That's where you found the dimensions of the production car? Care to quote the part of the text you found it hidden in?

· Registered
4,313 Posts
Size: 4975/1897/1528mm, with a 2966mm wheelbase.

That's the final design.
You don't think the production car will have a bigger gap between the wheels and the body? Also, even assumed that the production car will be similarly slammed, that still leaves us with a higher car than the Citroen C5 I compared it. Which is a car that have explicitly designed to be higher and more crossover-like than a ordinary sedan. So in other words I was actually mistaken and this car will be even more crossover-like in terms of proportions than the cars I compared it with. It will be more EV6 than C5.

· Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,036 Posts
You don't think the production car will have a bigger gap between the wheels and the body? Also, even assumed that the production car will be similarly slammed, that still leaves us with a higher car than the Citroen C5 I compared it. Which is a car that have explicitly designed to be higher and more crossover-like than a ordinary sedan. So in other words I was actually mistaken and this car will be even more crossover-like in terms of proportions than the cars I compared it with. It will be more EV6 than C5.
The ID Aero is longer and wider than the C5. An S-class is also taller than the C5 - I guess that makes it a cross-over too.

· Registered
4,313 Posts
The ID Aero is longer and wider than the C5. An S-class is also taller than the C5 - I guess that makes it a cross-over too.
The current generation Citroen C5 is higher than the current generation Mercedes S-class despite being a much smaller car. That's due to the crossover styling of the C5.

The Id Aero is however considerable higher than both the S-class and the C5 despite being a normal sedan in your view. I would guess it will become the highest "normal sedan" short of a Rolls Royce you can buy in the world when it's released. It's even higher than the EQS behemoth.

It's also worth mentioning that the difference in height between the previous and current gen C5 (which was made into a crossover-like car) is smaller than the difference in height between the Arteon and the ID Aero concept.

· Registered
7,494 Posts
"because Americans are vapid badge whores who buy things to impress people they don't know. "
"It's well understood Americans by and large have no taste and are badge conscious,"
Spoken like a hater...
Or is it just casual trash talking to make you feel superior?
Did you just insult about half of the readership here?
Cuz...it seems like it.
Smile Sky Shorts Nature Natural environment

The subpar product offerings for the American market shows that we demand less, and get less. Accept reality that Americans are tasteless, auto manufacturers already have. Don't act so aghast.

· Registered
A couple CUVs
3,196 Posts
I don't know, ask someone who bought a Touareg when they were still offered here. Maybe some people just liked the VW more and knew they were still getting a very high quality vehicle.

But by and large they wouldn't and didn't, because Americans are vapid badge whores who buy things to impress people they don't know. Obviously the Touareg was a failure in the US because of your exact sentiment and because VW was clueless that that vehicle played in a lease heavy segment and provided no subsidization via inflated residuals like BMW. The reality is people would rather buy a lower trim, lesser equipped, higher badged car in this country for the same price because the badge is all anyone really cares about even if the badge comes with ugly poverty pizza cutter wheels, leatherette, no ventilated seats, etc. etc. As long as it has that badge to flex on the Karen down the street!

It's well understood Americans by and large have no taste and are badge conscious, which is why we get garbage like the Atlas while the rest of the world gets the Touareg. Everybody in this country/this forum complains about how we don't get the good stuff but when it's actually offered (Touareg, Arteon), etc., people find a reason to **** on it anyway and buy a plastic fantastic $25k Subaru instead.
Easy duder. You're acting all angry again like you were a while back. No need to be an aggressive hater. There are vapid badge whores everywhere, not just America. :)

Some Europeans are choosing a Polo-sized 94 hp Audi with an old 5-speed and 15" wheels instead of something better from a lesser brand.

41 - 58 of 67 Posts