VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I don't think the mk3 light would work to well, first of, they are bigger that the ones in your chops, and second, they are probably to round on the corners.
mk1 lights would be closer imo, and that's what you used in the shop too :p

Have you done any body work before? because this would be pretty hard to pull of even for someone with a lot of experience.

·
Registered
12 Golf 2.5, 99.5 Cabrio GLS
48,014 Posts
I think it'd be interesting to paste ina Mk1 lower panel with plate holder below the body line, and make ths hatch all metal like in your pic above with no taillights. But that would probably be old looking :p

You can also use Pasaat B3 tail lights. The Wagon has completely veritcal lights, the sedan has a slight angle. A lot like mk3 lights but fits the gauge of the Mk2 a little better.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I think the lights above the body line are too high. It raises the rear end to me similar to a corrado. I prefer it splitting the body line. Either way, custom stuff is :thumbup:

·
Registered
16,888 Posts
how about mk1 or mk2 rocco lights?

·
Registered
48,014 Posts
How about having the hatch diagonal shut line meet the top of the tail at an angle rather then cutting straight down where the Mk2 tail light is. That should give you extra shallowness.

·
Registered
48,014 Posts
Why is there no room to put them below? You'll even have the same kink in the hatch as a mk1. just put the plate down there too. Hell, you might be able to stretch and transpplant a whole Mk1 slam panel pretty much in one piece and just wrap some flat metal around the lower hatch.

·
Registered
48,014 Posts
Yes, lots of Mk1 lights are still around. Even if the width isn't exactly the same you could just add some sheet metal between the tail lights and you couldn't tell the difference.

·
Registered
48,014 Posts
It does look a little odd, but look at VW styling of the era... VW Scirocco, Rabbit, Gol (brazil), even the B3 Passat sedan etc all have large area of metal above the lights...

ok ya got me. It seemed like a good idea in my head :screwy: Could always go the Cabriolet route and just have the tail lights arbitrarily placed on the body line (I never liked how they raised the tail lights in a Cabby about 2 inches for no reason!)

·
Registered
48,014 Posts
That would definitely be interesting. They come only in orange and white for turn/reverse, the all red ones are custom or aftermarket. You'd have to do something about the plate recess too since it would angl down rather then up (though that can be fixed easily with the body, angle down and then flatten to match the tail light rather then being fully angled like Mk1 rabbit/Mk2 jetta etc). kinda like the tail filler panel on later jettas, to hide the inner edge of the tail lights.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
I don't think they made any of those lights in all red. You can get aftermarket clear top/red bottom, and then spray the clear part with red paint to match. These were the closest fit to your general pref I could find in a quick search:

BTW, just in case you didn't know, those are the european-market Golf 1 tails.

·
Registered
46,359 Posts
that is sillly

1 - 20 of 118 Posts