VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Volks,
I have asked around on varioius other lists, and have had little to no response to this, so I thought I would dig into the wealth of knowledge I find here from time to time...
I have a GM coinage holder that I would love to use in my GTI, but I am having trouble figuring out a way to do so... The link for it is below, there are 3 pictures total, so please look them all over...
http://www.hostdub.com/modules...o.php
I would like to mount it in such a way that I can remove it and replace it as needed, just like in the GM cars... All ideas are more than welcome...
Thanks fo looking!

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Silly question... Anyone have any ideas how to mount a GM coin holder? (fahrvegnugen)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Re: Silly question... Anyone have any ideas how to mount a GM coin holder? (fahrvegnugen)

mount the coins in your pocket

if you put GM parts on german cars they begin to disintegrate like the witch in wizard of oz, you know that right?

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Re: Silly question... Anyone have any ideas how to mount a GM coin holder? (itchyG60)

All I can suggest is perhaps...is either get some double sided tape or velcro tape and mount it to the side of your center console or your ebrake plastic cover....that way you can remove it when you like....

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Silly question... Anyone have any ideas how to mount a GM coin holder? (jonny_breakz)

Quote, originally posted by jonny_breakz »
All I can suggest is perhaps...is either get some double sided tape or velcro tape and mount it to the side of your center console or your ebrake plastic cover....that way you can remove it when you like....

Been there, didn't workie... With the sucker full, it is too heavy for the velcro to work...

Thanks for the idea, though...

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Silly question... Anyone have any ideas how to mount a GM coin holder? (itchyG60)

Nah, did that, didn't like it...

Besides, all that change ends up on the floor on the passenger side, and I know that Mable does not like that, so I do not think she will mind... We have an understanding...

·
Registered
688 Posts

ashtray
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Re: Silly question... Anyone have any ideas how to mount a GM coin holder? (82vwRabbit)

Welllll..... Here's a long shot, but it might work.
Looking at those pictures, and knowing how most coin holders work, here's what I'd do:
Remove the inner seat rail cover on the driver's side. It should be held in with a clip and a little screw. Screw UP through that plastic piece into the bottom of your coin holder (might have to shim it with some washers to get it just the right height/angle) and then mount the trim piece back on top of the seat rail. That way, worst case scenario, you only put two holes in a piece of plastic. It should be out of the way, hiding from the VAG gods, and in a good spot you won't kick and smash. Shouldn't interfere with seat movement, passenger egress, or ebrake use.
How's that?
-Dan

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Silly question... Anyone have any ideas how to mount a GM coin holder? (dbreid)

Neat idea, Reid!
I will look at that and see if that is possible/feasible...
I will post what I decide... Oh crap, I just realized that I won't be able to remove the thing... Hmmm... I am still gonna look at that...
Thanks!
BTW, I thought about gutting an ashtray, but this particular one is just too large. That, and the sucker is heavy when full, so, hmmm...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts

Quote, originally posted by fahrvegnugen »
Neat idea, Reid!
BTW, I thought about gutting an ashtray, but this particular one is just too large. That, and the sucker is heavy when full, so, hmmm...

how much change do you exactly keep in your vehicle?

i don't keep change in any of my vehicles anymore because it seems that young useless Sh*** have nothing better to do with their time other then break into your car and steal the $1.27 worth of change you got
. sorry i don't have anything positive to add but i would recommend that wherever you put it make sure it looks factory and is well hidden from prying eyes.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Silly question... Anyone have any ideas how to mount a GM coin holder? (VWbohica)

Something else I had not considered...
The BEST place to keep it would be to cut up an ashtray, but I think it is way to heavy for that... I may try anyway to see what happens...
Thanks for that point,
David

·
Registered
6,631 Posts

i just toss my loose coins in the console on the floor... or if i've just cleaned the car i toss them into an old film cannister, then in the console on the floor.
the left dash speaker bucket is the cup holder.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote, originally posted by itchyG60 »
i just toss my loose coins in the console on the floor... or if i've just cleaned the car i toss them into an old film cannister, then in the console on the floor.
the left dash speaker bucket is the cup holder.

Anyone else hearing banjo music?

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I may just may break down and get an other ashtray to experiment with...
Thanks for the help...

·
Registered
6,631 Posts

Quote, originally posted by fahrvegnugen »

Anyone else hearing banjo music?

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif right on. i WISH i was hearing banjo music!!

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote, originally posted by itchyG60 »

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif right on. i WISH i was hearing banjo music!!

LOL... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,573 Posts

You know, I was thinking about this some more. A super cool solution would be to disassemble the seat, take off the inner drivers lower bolster, and take it to an upholstery shop and have them sew little "pouches" into the side of the bolster. It wouldn't interfere with the foam, and the cloth would minimize annoying jingling.... Might be something to try.
Or maybe some sort of pouch mounted behind the pass seat (like those map pockets on new cars, but somehow set up for coins....
There is also room INSIDE the console of the shifter (under the shift boot). You could somehow make it so you could flip up the shift boot and crab hidden coins from a compartment near the shift lever.... This one have James Bond potential, but also the possibility to get quarters jammed in your shifter...

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Silly question... Anyone have any ideas how to mount a GM coin holder? (dbreid)

Yeah, I was even thinking about cutting a hole in the console so that this would fit donw in it... Not really what I had planned, and I would want another clean one so that I could cut into mine (already has some screw holes in it)... BUT, I am still debating...
Interesting idea on the seat, though..
ON another topic, I often thought about a pouch that came from the visor for my sunglasses. But they have those clips now that clip onto the visor that hold your glasses by the bridge...
David

1 - 18 of 18 Posts