VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

"Simple and Effective" moacur build-up thread. Phase II. Time to go low.

82K views 948 replies 153 participants last post by  DarkSideGTI 
#1 ·
Since the the Turbo segment of my build thread got to 21 pages I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread for the next segment of the build so people don't have to sift through page after page to see what is going on.
For anyone interested in checking out the C2.400 turbo install click here.. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3456940
The car is running phenomenal right now on about 15lbs of boost. I will be upping the boost to about 17-18lbs in the coming weeks. I will make it to the dyno in the coming days and make a separate thread for that so that when people are searching the C2 kits it will come up under the search function.
So. On to Phase II.
As outlined in the Original build. Air ride suspension is up next. I am very excited to get this going. Everything is ordered and should be here in the coming weeks. I have been working with Joel over at Eurojet and he is an outstanding guy. He is very helpful and quick to answer any questions that you throw at him.
From what I have learned from researching and talking with numerous people. When going air ride. You want a well built system and a damn good management system to go with it. When it comes to air ride you DO NOT want to skimp out on the management. This is where people go wrong. Going with a cheap system will give you lots of side to side body roll and you will not be a happy bag rider. Too many people cheap out on this main component when going with air ride..
Joel and I have talked quite a few times about finding a system for the R32 guys that won't necessarily break the bank but will give you the ride that you are looking for. So before my car sees the HPS Competition series bags we are going to run the Premium series with Pillowtop Mount upgrades on them for me to review for you all. Basically the pillowtop mounts allow the car to go lower then the standard Premiums and will pull in the upper portion of the wheels a bit in the rears and add some camber when the car is "slammed".
With this system for the rears you will have a choice of what struts you are going to run. With the premiums I am going to continue to run my Vmaxx struts on the rears. So if you wanted the car to ride like it was on Konis. You would get Konis or H&R's or whatever you Prefer..
For Management I am going with the Auto Pilot Digital Air Management System. The kit basically controls itself. Key features of running this management system are One Touch Ride Height, Auto Ride Height On Start, Individual Wheel Control, All Inflate and All Deflate Buttons, Accurate Manifold Mounted Transducers, Digital Voltmeter, Auto Leak Detection, Tuning That Learns Your Vehicles Suspension, Compatible with Digital Dampening System, One Wire Into Dash.
So basically I think that says it all. I am looking forward to continuing to work with Tristan and Peter at Further Performance http://www.furtherperformance.com/ as this car keeps transforming. These guys have played such a significant part in this build that I don't think that I could ever thank them enough

Outline of the system-
HPS Premiums bags with Pillow mount upgrade
Management-

Auto Pilot Digital Air Management System
Components:
- Digital Controller
- Controller Mounting Bracket
- Digital Controller ECU
- Pezio Transducers
- Anodized Manifolds
- 1/2 Airline
- Our Air Line Cutter
- VIAIR 380C 200 psi Compressor- I upgraded to a 460c compressor
- 5 Gallon 8 1/2" Port Tank- Aluminum finish
- Inflation Valve and Drain ****
- Wire Harness
- Thread Sealant
- Compressor Relay
- Nickel Plated Fittings
- All Necessary Mounting Hardware
Here is the "look" we are going for when the car is in it's low setting, if not lower..

Some of my bagged inspirations-
MKIV R32 across the pond

Capita's car

ElevatedGaze 20th

Plains car

and this is how ya change a wheel

Another MKV

and some sick inspiration on how we will more then likely install everything in the hatch.

Here is a very cool little air ride video put together by RADERWERS
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GtJhCHbhHC0

and how the car looks today. Winter mode

Bring on the flames

Follow along as we make the "Simple and Effective" .:R go low

Modified by moacur at 11:11 AM 12-15-2007

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: "Simple and Effective" moacur build-up thread. Phase II. Time to go low. (.:Rcoholic)

I love that white rabbit with air ride, it is my inspiration to go airride with my .:R and my new Jetta SE. Keep us posted on it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#8 ·
Re: (moose82)

Quote, originally posted by moose82 »
good luck dude! not my thing, but should be sick!

not really my thing either, but it will look good. prolly cuz i just don't have the $$$ to spend on one thing.

also, why's ur original thread locked?
and are you coming down to the midwest .:R meet on jan 5th? http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3566438

#9 ·
Re: "Simple and Effective" moacur build-up thread. Phase II. Time to go low. (.:Rcoholic)

Quote, originally posted by .:Rcoholic »
WHYYYY???

because airride is AMAZING!!! i love my setup, and the hps stuff looks like it can go way lower!!
keep it up moacur, you've got one of the sickest cars out there http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#13 ·
Can't wait to see how this goes. I've long been looking for a solution that would allow me to have an optimum ride height for handling with enough adjustability for the track, but would still let me make the car sit higher to deal with winter conditions or the piss-poor roads here in the Northeast of the US.
I've no desire whatsoever to slam the car, rather I want an option that allows me to go from normal height to much higher, so that I don't have to constantly worry about my oil pan.

#15 ·
Re: (Mike Solo)

Quote, originally posted by Mike Solo »
Can't wait to see how this goes. I've long been looking for a solution that would allow me to have an optimum ride height for handling with enough adjustability for the track, but would still let me make the car sit higher to deal with winter conditions or the piss-poor roads here in the Northeast of the US.
I've no desire whatsoever to slam the car, rather I want an option that allows me to go from normal height to much higher, so that I don't have to constantly worry about my oil pan.

I want it for the roads also but, I want to slam it to the ground
I can't wait to see this when it's done and to see if it holds up. If it does I'll be next in line to jump on it

Modified by ATM3222 at 7:23 PM 12-15-2007

#16 ·
Re: "Simple and Effective" moacur build-up thread. Phase II. Time to go low. (moacur)

Definitely one of the biggest advantages to running air ride is the flexability of ride height. At any given moment at the drop of a finger you can raise or lower the car.
From what I understand these Swiss made bags are no joke. They will basically outcompete most if not all coilovers on the street and the track.
As for them holding up. You pay for what you get when it comes to bags. Go cheap and you will likely have issues to deal with. This is regarding the actual bags and management. With the HPS kits you are looking to spend at least 2k and up to 4K depending on what set-up you go with.
As far as the comment on the Vmaxx
Give it up. These Vmaxx handle as good if not better then any .:R with KW's that I have ever been in. Just because they are not expensive does not mean that they are bad quality. I'm sure if HPA sold them and charged $2k you all would think they were the ****

For any doubts on air ride and holding up on a track. Make your way over to youtube and do some air ride searches. There are plenty of high HP track cars running bags...

#17 ·
Re: "Simple and Effective" moacur build-up thread. Phase II. Time to go low. (moacur)

how do you deal with alignment issues w/ bags? Is it find one ride height, align it there and know that it should be right at that point, and toe/caster/camber change as you drop it? I know in the looks aspect that's not really a concern, but for track type stuff, how do you mark a point in the middle of its lift/dump that you can repeatedly get back to? Just curious http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#18 ·
Re: "Simple and Effective" moacur build-up thread. Phase II. Time to go low. (schmuck)

Good controllers have set heights. The controller I am going with has 3 ride heights you can lock in(you choose the heights) and then you can control the rest with the buttons and hit everything in between and then some. so say for your 3 setting you want #1 to be parked-slammed #2 to be track/daily height and #3 to be 4x4 mode. Basically you would then do your allignment at whatever daily driving/track driving or whatever you are going to use most and allign it at that. The rest you will not be using all the time.

#24 ·
Re: (Mike Solo)

Quote, originally posted by Mike Solo »
[...]

That's exactly where I stand as well. If this is track-worthy AND allows instant ride-height adjustment, then I'm in http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#25 ·
Re: (3dr A3 3.2)

Quote, originally posted by 3dr A3 3.2 »

That's exactly where I stand as well. If this is track-worthy AND allows instant ride-height adjustment, then I'm in http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Agreed 100%, Ben. If the handling and adjustability characteristics are on par with KW V3s, and I can raise the car instantly, then this is the solution for me. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
To all the people questioning this modification, come drive in Pennsylvania for a few days. You'll instantly see the value in this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.