VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47,625 Posts
Re: (nj TDI fan)

Quote, originally posted by nj TDI fan »
I was thinking more like what would a chipped 0-60 time be?

depends on the driver........get a boost guage..its the easiest way and boost gauges are good to have regardless if you're chipped or not

·
Registered
999 Posts
Re: Simple way to find out if my new (used) TDI is chipped? (nj TDI fan)

TDIs "feel" like they pull hard either way because of the torque. I'd say either get a boost gauge or try doing a 0-60 run in somewhere safe and legal (
)... IIRC stock TDIs are quoted at abut 14 seconds to sixty?

·
Registered
34,109 Posts
Re: Simple way to find out if my new (used) TDI is chipped? (nj TDI fan)

Quote, originally posted by nj TDI fan »
I just picked up my 04 (20K mi.) PD TDI on Sat. It seems to pull extremely strong. Is it possible it was already chipped, and how would I know? Should I time a 0-60 run?

test drive another PD100 in comparison, even though yours is fully broken in. If you know someone with a VAG-COM (try oldpoopie at http://www.tdiclub.com)--- try a butt-dyno to see the torque and hp curves to see where the max torque is.
There isn't too many chips out there yet...if anything for now, it may be a slight increase in boost accompanied with a lot more fueling.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Re: Simple way to find out if my new (vr6dawg)

Sort of. There is a sticky rubber/foam sealant that VW uses around the black ECU casing to keep water out and whatnot. If you feel like pulling your ecu with coat hangers, or some similar tool, then, as you open the box, see if the sealant is still intact or if it has been cut with a knife.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Re: Simple way to find out if my new (vr6dawg)

Quote, originally posted by vr6dawg »
can you just take out the ecu and check if there is a chip in it

Yes. If the ECU has been chipped, it will show signs of being opened.
You could also have your car dynoed. That's how I found out my TDi was already chipped when I bought it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.