VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car has always had this problem where the engine will cut out in time with the wipers if you leave the wipers on intermittent, or whenever you move the wiper stalk to the next setting. today i was doing some tests on my car and i noticed that with the ignition on but engine not running the fuel pump will run for a few seconds whenever the wiper relay activates (wipers on intermittent). i don't even know where to start with this, anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Re: since when do the wiper stalks control the fuel pump??? (iandm)

Check your fusebox, relays, wiring, etc. It can be a -----, but you just gotta look. It's more than likely sitting in your fusebox/relays. HTH!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: since when do the wiper stalks control the fuel pump??? (84_GLI_coupe)

that seems like the most likely place. i have the old style fuse box that came on 80 and under cars, but there doesn't seem to be any water damage or anything. what should i check? the relays seem to be fine, i could give everything a good cleaning with some contact cleaner but other than that what can i do?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I know it sounds strange, but check the ignition switch, they are p.os.'s and have a tendency to burn up, i've replaced a few over the past 8 yrs of rabbit ownership, the symptoms vary wildly and sometimes seem to make no sense, my car would shut down when i turned my lights on, sometimes the stereo or fan also......at least they are cheap and fairly easy to replace....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts