VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
Re: single wiper conversion question (deathhare)

deathhare, forgot the picture of the hacksaw and the drill
the rocco linkage doesn't bolt right up (regardless of what that certain someone told me
) i swapped the original motor for the rocco one (so it would fit under the hood), had to cut a good bit of the linkage frame, and finally drill new holes in the stand that holds the frame. it sounds confusing due to my sorry choice of words, but trust me, use your imagination and it will work. good luck!
take care,
nash

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Re: single wiper conversion question (MrDave)

Mr. Dave! I as well searched the massive internet years ago and came across your GLI page. What do you own now and any updates to your pages? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Re: single wiper conversion question (quazar311)

quote:[HR][/HR]Mr. Dave! I as well searched the massive internet years ago and came across your GLI page. What do you own now and any updates to your pages? Thanks![HR][/HR]​
I'm so far behind, I think I'm first.
I really ought to update that web page.
Still have the A1 Jetta, upgraded to a 2.0L ABA with my solid lifter head,
blew up a VL Ent 6speed, 8" mid-woofers in the doors with power windows,
yadda yadda yadda...
Also picked up an '82 pickup, 1.6 diesel, no turbo. Scirocco headlights,
A2 big bumper, home-built coilovers on the front,
all kinds of fun.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts

is there any way to put the scirocco mono wiper assy on the original middle mounting hole without drilling a new hole in the cowling? and what kind of body work did everyone have to do to get rid of the drivers side hole in the cowling.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Re: single wiper conversion question (VWJerm)

quote:[HR][/HR]is there any way to put the scirocco mono wiper assy on the original middle mounting hole without drilling a new hole in the cowling? and what kind of body work did everyone have to do to get rid of the drivers side hole in the cowling.[HR][/HR]​
The "middle" hole is actually more to the passsenger side. I opted not to do this,
since I don't sit over there while driving....
Yes, it is possible to fit it there. Take your existing linkage out, toss the mono linkage in, using the passenger hole, then fab-up a bracket to attach the base to the mount in the rain tray.
What kind of body work? Originally, stuck a grommet and a plastic plug to block the hole, then the body shop did what the body shop did. I think they cut out the elevated wiper hole, and welded in a new flat piece. Whatever they did, it turned out smooth, with no evidence of the original hole.
If I could figure out how to post pictures, I would.

-Dave

·
Registered
3,259 Posts

Dave, thanks, so when using the original passenger hole, does the wiper not swipe accross to the driver side as much? ya I had the same problem posting pics, use the help forum and I use printroom.com, there are others too.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Re: single wiper conversion question (VWJerm)

Ok, let's see if I can do this:
This is a picture of the range of the Scirocco wiper, and how it works in
my configuration. You can see the plugs from the original holes.

Here's a picture of the total swept area:

And finally, a shot of what the body shop did for me:

As for swept area, looking at image 2, move the area over ~4", and that's what using the passenger hole will do for you.
What I would like to see done, but haven't seen yet, is modifying the scirocco linkage to run 2 wipers, but close togeather, both located about 2 inches either
side of the car's centerline, ala Porsche 911.

-Dave

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Re: single wiper conversion question (Wabbit Willie)

quote:[HR][/HR]i need a shorter wiper arm like this one here ,,the one i got is hiting the top for the window.anybody got one i can get for cheat? [email protected] [HR][/HR]​
Use the rabbit/jetta wiper arm with a longer blade,
or use the Scirocco arm with a shorter blade.
If you're hitting the top of the window, quickest fix is to head to PepBoys (or Canadian Tire for us canucks) with your wiper blade, and buy the next size shorter.
-Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts