VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have searched and searched i have an 08 rabbit that came with out sirius radio, i have the oem unit that has sirius radio function, what do i need for the oem sirius install, and where can i get it and does anyone have any pics, i need some help on this, i have searched and emailed and searched and emailed and nobody has gotten back to me

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Re: sirius radio install (onelowjolf)

I have a harness for it which i could sell you. VW doesn't make the OEM harness available for sale so it has to be built from specs.
I just sold the Sirius tuner so I cannot help you there, though

·
Premium Member
11,479 Posts

The harness is definitely the hard part. I had one built for me for my retrofit.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: sirius radio install (Slipstream)

what about the antenna stuff?? did you build that or buy that and where is a place to get the stuff to build it or buy it

·
Registered
2,660 Posts

Quote, originally posted by onelowjolf »
i have searched and searched i have an 08 rabbit that came with out sirius radio, i have the oem unit that has sirius radio function, what do i need for the oem sirius install, and where can i get it and does anyone have any pics, i need some help on this, i have searched and emailed and searched and emailed and nobody has gotten back to me

how do you know your unit has the sirius function? you have the HU with the silver buttons?
Or do you have another HU to replace the one that came with your rabbit?

·
Premium Member
11,479 Posts

what about the antenna stuff?? did you build that or buy that and where is a place to get the stuff to build it or buy it

I just bought an aftermarket antenna (one of the ultra slim varieties) and have it on my dash just in front of the dash tray. I had to hack up the plastic connector to get it to fit (the guy who sold it to me sold me the wrong type) but it works.
^ makes a good point, though. You do have the 6 disc changer with the button that says "SAT", right?

·
Registered
503 Posts

I resourced the DIY writeups on this forum to help with my Sat radio retrofit. The wiring schematics provided proved to be very helpful. You already have a lead on the wiring harness via GreenJetta so you're already ahead of the game in that respect.
As far as the antenna is concerned, i bought these two pieces (recommended by Slipstream) that worked fine. one of the harnesses that connected to the sirius tuner had to be modified slightly but it wasn't a big deal.
Sat Antenna:
ebay item #5859258478
NEW TERK SIRIUS SATELLITE RADIO ANTENNA SPLITTER SIR-SP available through http://www.cellularking.com (ebay item # has been deleted)
Hope this helps. Good luck! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: sirius radio install (badassbaldie)

i am in the process of sourcing a hu with the sat function, i had my hands on one but it got snatched from me... long story

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: sirius radio install (silverA4quattro)

hahah i was waiting on someone to comment on my email address, its my wifes, haha i dont have an email i am not on the internet enough anymore to need one haha and her name is jessicah ha

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

ok so i got the wiring harness, thank you green96jetta, now i need to find out how and where i can get the antenna and new new antenna ends to make the proper antenna, pics or a write up anyone??

·
Registered
615 Posts
Re: sirius radio install (5_Cent)

Quote, originally posted by 5_Cent »
so you need a OEM HU that supports a sirius tuner, you then need the sirius tuner, wire harness and antenna?
think you could use this antenna?
http://oempl.us/index.php?main...d=402

Modified by 5_Cent at 5:42 PM 1-17-2008

I have that antenna installed - it's just for AM & FM...

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: sirius radio install (JohnnyD)

i am going to use the existing antenna for am/fm, and i am going to use an aftermarket sirius antenna for sirius i just need the info oh where to get the new connector for the antenna so i can hack off the existing one and put an oem one on, and so far i am not impressed with oempl, i have emailed them a few times and have gotten no response.

·
Registered
615 Posts

i have emailed them a few times and have gotten no response.

Call them instead... They always answered my questions when I called, never when I emailed them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts