VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

skid plate essential with 60/40 drop?

584 views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  VAGinitis 
#1 ·
I'm starting to seriously think about going lower. i'm dropped 1.5" now, and the FK sale for their 60/40 kit is going on until jan. 31. I'm considering it more and more everyday. I like the drop i have now, it corners really well, i just want to be a little lower. I'm just wondering if a skid plate would be recommended if i did end up getting these springs. The roads in my area aren't really bad, no big potholes to speak of. Just curious what other people a 60/40 or similar drop recommend. Oh yeah, i got 16's is that matters. TIA
Edit: Would i need a camber kit also?

Modified by reynolds9000 at 3:19 PM 1-13-2004

#3 ·
Re: (ChadMk3)

Quote, originally posted by ChadMk3 »
no, you dont need a skid plate at that point. I have a 60/40 drop and i cut an extra coil off the front and im still not that low, and i live in CT where the roads are really bad. And no on the camber kit.

Ditto
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#5 ·
Re: skid plate essential with 60/40 drop? (NJGTI)

thanks for the all the help. So the camber will still be able to be adjusted without a camber kit? Again, i really appreciate the input.

#8 ·
Re: (eurotrash_pd)

If the roads ain't that bad...i guess you could skimp out and be alright. But what about traveling to areas outside where you live???
Myself... I'm on a 60/* kit as well... I wouldn't last 5 minutes on my local roads without a skidplate. So i dunno, your call, but it's a damn good investment.

#9 ·
Re: (Jonny123)

so 2.0 oil pans aren't as low as VR's? I wonder why that is. The roads in my state are generally good. I don't travel out of state much, so it's not a huge issue with the skid plate. I was just curious if it was a must if i was going to be going 60/40. DubberfromCT, are you saying i should get lowering caps when i get the 60/40? I don't want to be ridiculously low, i just want to be lower than 1.5" . I think that 60/40 has an awesome look, with out being extremely low. i basically want to remove most of the gap in the wheel well...So tfor the people with 60/40 kits...you didn't have to get a camber kit? I'm sorry to keep asking that...and thanks a million, you all have been lots of help.

#14 ·
Re: (jetta3guy8913)

not at all essential..esp. w/ a 2.0. I've got a 2.0 and i'm tucking about 3/4 of an inch of tire on stock tires and orlandos, my oil pan is pretty close to the ground, and i've never had a problem...plus i drive it like i stole it.
Of course if you wanna be safe and worry free, by all means get one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.