VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i moved from NY to SoCal in jan. on my way home me an my freind stopped @ laguna to check it out... never seen it in person, and has allways been on my to do list!... one thing leads to another and we end up staying in san fran with a freind for 2 extra days so we can go back to laguna to participate in the intro to racing. OMG the best thing ive ever done.. both of us have autoX experience, and ive rode shotty on tracks before.... but the guy who was out pace car driver (just the 2 of us in a group) was so impressed with our skills, in his 12 years of instructin he never had anyone, let alone 2 people who came together, excell like that first time behind a open wheel car. it felt good to hear that. best lap we ran was a 1 min. 50 sec. with consistant under 2 min laps., and thats off his stop watch, and only 1.5 hours of seat time. and because the neon pace car couldnt get to speed on the streights and we cant pass him, we were limited.... i know i could drop up to 10 sec if i had a whole day.
so we signed up for the 3 day race school, we got a great deal..$2500, but we cant go back to laguna, so its gonna be watkins glen or VIR
i would go and do this to anyone!

-kevin

·
Registered
77 Posts
Re: skip barber intro to racing @ laguna... DOPE (jim floorburn)

Laguna Seca is such a cool track as I went and learned how to ride my superbike on that track.
The corkscrew is something isnt it?

·
Chili Bigot
(boop/ bop/ beep)
20,201 Posts

I did the intro class last summer at Leguna Seca. How were you able to rip laps ahead of everyone else? When I did it, we had to run in groups of four or five behind the instructor while rotating the 2nd position every lap.
A few pics.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there was only 7 of us total, so 3 groups 2-2-3, we were the first ones out, and every 3-5 laps we laped the other cars!

·
Chili Bigot
(boop/ bop/ beep)
20,201 Posts
Re: (jim floorburn)

Wow that's a small class! We had 3 groups of 4 and 1 group of 5 (17 total). Unfortunately you're only as fast as the slowest guy in your group.
Sounds like you got lucky with the small size though. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I think the Corkscrew is better than any ride at Disneyland.

Modified by Seabird at 10:42 PM 5-19-2004

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda
37,919 Posts
Re: (jim floorburn)

awesome!

·
Registered
16,606 Posts
Re: (Metallitubby)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif One day I will get to do that....one day.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Re: (shftat6)

That accursed corkscrew!
It beguiles me every time I run a Laguna Seca race in GTA3. I just can't get the feel for slowing down enough coming over a blind hill into that area. I would so love to drive it in person though.

·
Chili Bigot
(boop/ bop/ beep)
20,201 Posts
Re: (brickfrenzy)

Quote, originally posted by brickfrenzy »
That accursed corkscrew!
It beguiles me every time I run a Laguna Seca race in GTA3. I just can't get the feel for slowing down enough coming over a blind hill into that area. I would so love to drive it in person though.

The trick is coming through the turn at the top of the hill smoothly enough before you hit the corkscrew. The rapid change in elevation along with the sudden yawing left and right really upsets the geometry of the car. Smooooooooooooth is the name of the game. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the real laguna is accualy really diff. from GT33... the big left accending to the CS is deff. not a full out 5th gear turn like it is in GT3

·
Registered
2,426 Posts

jim floorburn said:
but the guy who was out pace car driver (just the 2 of us in a group) was so impressed with our skills, in his 12 years of instructin he never had anyone, let alone 2 people who came together, excell like that first time behind a open wheel car.
Wait he said the same thing to me too...

so we signed up for the 3 day race school, we got a great deal..$2500, but we cant go back to laguna, so its gonna be watkins glen or VIR
Hes a good salesmen

A guy i work with at napa races and i constantly dog on him about nascar not being a sport, so he wants me to take his race car onto the track to prove that it is a sport.
hmmm....i will look bad, but it would be fun

1 - 12 of 12 Posts