VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

461 - 469 of 469 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #461
(y) moving on! What does the long arm brace itself against? I've heard some remove the oil pan, and position a 2x4 against the crank :D
Nothing? I pressed against it while pulling on the torque wrench, but I suppose you could use that method. Or are you talking about how I held up the engine with the mount out? If that's the case, I used a 2x4 under the oil pan and a transmission jack.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #463
Strong! Like ox! ;)
The handles are quite long, and I found using opposing force helped put enough pressure on it.

Not a lot of pics, but I think a pretty big update.... turbo is on the car. Actually, the one pic I do have is not the best, the lighting in my garage isn't great, but the turbo and manifold are visible.

I still need to plumb the coolant and oil lines, put on the downpipe, and then I can start on all the intake parts and vacuum side of things. Also, I never realized how close this is to the A/C lines... so I think I'm going to get some heat shield sleeve to put on before I button everything up.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
That looks way closer to the A/C lines than what I remember on my car. I wonder if having the A/C lines run right next to the exhaust has a lot to do with why the A/C sucks so bad.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #465
I've actually never had a problem with the A/C... I think it works pretty good. There's a few things going on here: first, the aftermarket turbo and manifold are bigger than stock and therefore sit closer to the firewall. Second, where it sits closest is next to the cold side of the turbo. Also, I think the photo is misleading... the lines are close, but they look a lot closer in the pic than they actually are... I had to lean over the engine bay pretty far to get that pic and so the angle is off. But they are way closer than I would prefer, and I've heard a lot of complaints about the A/C in these cars not being very good.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #466
More slow progress. First I put some dielectric grease on a set of new R8 coils and installed them on my new plugs.

Then I did the more difficult work of plumbing the turbo. I don't have a ton of pics of it, because the clearances are nil and it took some time and swearing to get things on. You can see the oil supply line laying across the exhaust manifold in the above pic. The hardest part was getting the coolant return onto the back of the engine block; it's a banjo fitting and getting the bolt through the line and both crush washers and holding it all together while trying to squeeze it between the block and the turbo was tedious.

I got pretty much new gaskets and lines for everything; the only line I re-used was the oil supply line since that was already a reuseable -AN fitting / line combo. The old APR coolant supply line could have been re-used, but it was hard and brittle so I thought it best to replace it.

New return line gaskets:

The oil lines were a bit easier, and I also got some turbo priming oil. This took a while to get into the turbo, not because it's difficult, but you need the return line installed first so if it drains it goes somewhere, and the restrictor inlet lets oil in very slowly without the pressure the engine provides when running.

New fuel injector seal kit arrived yesterday, so I plan to install the injectors today. I'm at a standstill on installing the intake manifold because I need new vacuum line to get everything to fit on the underside. The main thing is parts are actually going on the car, which is the right direction.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
On my 3.2l, again after the Shrick cam install, the oil cooler hoses were actually in contact with the condenser...I noticed the lack of cooling right way, and it was corrected right away. As you say, npace, as long as there is a good separation between the lines (good air space) all should be well.

That looks way closer to the A/C lines than what I remember on my car. I wonder if having the A/C lines run right next to the exhaust has a lot to do with why the A/C sucks so bad.
I've actually never had a problem with the A/C... I think it works pretty good. There's a few things going on here: first, the aftermarket turbo and manifold are bigger than stock and therefore sit closer to the firewall. Second, where it sits closest is next to the cold side of the turbo. Also, I think the photo is misleading... the lines are close, but they look a lot closer in the pic than they actually are... I had to lean over the engine bay pretty far to get that pic and so the angle is off. But they are way closer than I would prefer, and I've heard a lot of complaints about the A/C in these cars not being very good.

461 - 469 of 469 Posts