VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys names Rob. Not a noob to spite the low post count. Well find myself finally in a mk1 jetta. Its been a long road to get here after several mk2's, a raddo, a S1 rocco, a caddy, and a couple audi's I found the mk1 jetta that was going to suite me. After weeks of scanning craiglist I found a 84 jetta GLi that was not rusted to crap. In fact the only spot I have found after looking over the car very well was at the base of the driver side windsheild. At first appeared to just be surface rust but I rolled back the seal and found a hole half the size of a pencil eraser. Not to shabby for a car that was not loved the way most of us love our cars.

Well a little about the car. Found it in Clarkrange, Tn about 20 minutes north of knoxville. Body has 118k with a fully operational odometer. Engine has just a little over 70k on it and is not the engine that came in the car. The guy that had the car before myself had a diesel caddy that a tree fell in the center of. He pulled the engine and put it in the GLI. I was rather surprised when i met the guy as he had several other rabbits sitting around as well as a 63 super beetle, 2 cub vans, and a S2 rocco. Basically the guy was rather savoy as the swap was done nicely. The good old little 1.6 runs great and dosent have any ridiculous leaks. The paint was heavily oxidized from several years of paint neglect but after some time with a buffer she actually brought back a good shine.

During my test drive I noted once you get up around 70mph there is a good vibration, not super aggressive but its there and considering that condition of the rest of the car I dont really like it. I suspected wheels bearings and was not concerned with it as i talked him down on price a little. Well I get it home and start cleaning it up, Jack up the front end and test out the bearings to see just how bad they are. Low and behold its not the bearings its the tie rods. Well as im wiggling the tire back and forth while looking at the rack front atop the engine compartment I notice that it appears to be the rack itself rather than the assembly as I can see the end of the assembly and it appears that the wobble in the shaft is coming from the actualy rack. Yes the rack is stationary and mounts are not destroyed. Might I add that this is a manual rack not power. Heres where the advice request comes in. I'm not apposed to ordering an entire rack assembly but I'm basically asking if this is pretty common as im unfamiliar with manual racks. Thanks in advance for any advice thats thrown this way.

Well heres the car after some buffing sans wax. I have alot of plans in the works but my first order of business is to get it restored the best I can before I do any fancy modifications. i do plan to lower and change up the wheels but other than that not to much planned.

My bulldog approves!

Before the buffing

after

·
Registered
78rabbit1.5LGP & 82rabbitpickup1.6DGC
11,758 Posts
nice buffing!

yes manual racks can wear out internally

the grooves wear out on the shaft

problem....meyle is your only option and others have said they are NOT very good...

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice buffing!

yes manual racks can wear out internally

the grooves wear out on the shaft

problem....meyle is your only option and others have said they are NOT very good...
Thanks for the compliments bud. :beer:

Moogie (mk1 autohaus) on ebay has Meyle ones that I checked out. Both GAP and Rabbit parts have manual racks for fairly reasonable price. When I was looking at the racks they actually appear to be slightly different from the ones Moogie has. I'm wondering if they are a different manufacture.

So when you say NOT very good, are you meaning they wear out fast or notchy or what? I mean I figure for the cost of the thing if it last me 3-5yrs im not gonna be to upset about it. I mean it's not like we have much options left considering OEM isnt even and option. I work in the service department of a VW dealer and I have already sat down with my parts manager to gather me a list of things that are still out there and to be honest.....youd be suprised what I found still in the US. I know i've already ordered new OEM smokers seals haha.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts

While manual racks do wear out, especially if a boot gets damaged/ripped, I would not say it is a common problem. I have NEVER had to replace a manual rack in any of the multitude of VWs I have owned or worked on. Why not grab another used one? If the meyle ones suck, well a used one should (if you check it obviously) still give you PLENTY of service.

Also, they can be rebuilt, and or adjusted. I HAVE seen a few of these get "loose", like my 1977 rack after I swapped a quaife quick ratio into it. I had adjust the locknut on the backside.

EDIT: In fact, a Quaife Quick Ratio setup would actually replace everything inside the rack and give you a full rebuild... I LOVE mine! Okay a quick look and Autotech SPort Tuning does not "SEEM" to still have this available. But Quaife does still have it listed on their UK site. The Autotech kit included all the seals (and I think the bearing too) to rebuild it. I have run this for close to ten years now. My ONLY complaint is it definitely sucks to parallel park it.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
some say there is supposed to be a bushing centered on the passenger outlet

i suppose this is to absorb vibration and keep the shaft centered in the housing

also since you have been doing your homework:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/search.php?searchid=36798035

search is a useful forum function

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
search is a useful forum function
Unsure if this is sarcasm or not considering this is the intarwebs either way thanks for the heads up. This was intended as a tell me how to fix my car thread it was more of introducing myself but again either way im thankful for the input.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Unsure if this is sarcasm or not considering this is the intarwebs either way thanks for the heads up. This was intended as a tell me how to fix my car thread it was more of introducing myself but again either way im thankful for the input.

...no sarcasm

i tried finding the thread with pictures showing you the rack bushing and differences in meyle shafts

and after page 2 i went to return my coil spring compressors to autozone (free)

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...no sarcasm

i tried finding the thread with pictures showing you the rack bushing and differences in meyle shafts

and after page 2 i went to return my coil spring compressors to autozone (free)
Ok just making sure. On a side note after a while of searching I found what you were talking about. For future reference jump on eBay and search "VW DELRIN MK1 Steering Rack Bushing". Here's only one down fall. This bushing is designed FOR the meylee racks to prevent this from happening. Sooooo I'm thinking I'm going to have to replace the rack AND install this bushing. Got any extra input

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.