VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my GTI for ~600 miles now. Slowly breaking it in still and haven't beaten it down at all.
My 1st-2nd shifts (manual) feel like the syncros are garbage! Not sure if these cars have the same setup as my B5 S4 o1e transmission with the problematic 1st-2nd shift collars, but it feels EXACTLY like just before my S4s shift collar locked up and syncros went. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
Anyone else have this same feeling with their gearbox?

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think in the last 5 or so different cars I've owned, it's the worst factory 1st-2nd shift. The rest of the gears are fine, minus the semi-long throw (I can live with that).
Hoping it will correct itself somehow with more of a break in.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Re: (iPinch)

I've got 2,200 miles and mine's great. I define "notchy" as needing to be firmly shifted but not forced or pushed hard into gear. Using that, my box is somewhat notchy in a good way and the 1-2 shift is fine. There is a little side slop (especially 6-4) and I'd like shorter throws but it is very good stock out of the box in my car.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I tried getting in touch with HPA regarding the production of MK6 short shifters but theyre out of the office until the 4th. Sent them an email as well.
In the meantime, I'm not going to do anything about it, it's under warranty. Just wanted to see if I was the only one.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Re: (Dumpd30v)

On each of my MkVI test drives I noticed how the shifter was not only sloppily notchy, but how long the throws were. Syncro's in the higher gears were obviously having issues as compared to the lower gears on each test car, but not anything I wasn't used to. If HPA was able to make a short throw for the earlier mods, then they should have one for the MkVI very soon... but I agree it won't help the syncro issue very much.... so please keep us informed if you decide to install HPA's short throw and how it improves the feel or not.

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
Re: Sloppy Gearbox (Dumpd30v)

Quote, originally posted by Dumpd30v »

Not sure if these cars have the same setup as my B5 S4 o1e transmission with the problematic 1st-2nd shift collars

Not even close. These are cable shift FWD transmissions whereas the S4 (and A4) are longitudinal mounted rod linkage shifters.
I agree though, 1-2 isn't very satisfying on these gearboxes. Mine is grinding in the cold regardless of how smooth or slowly I shift.

·
Registered
2018 Golf GTI Autobahn | 1993 VW Corrado SLC | 2022 Porsche 718 Boxster T
6,302 Posts
Re: (absoluteczech)

I had no issues on any of my GTI test drives; while the 1-2 shift needs to be done deliberately and with a little more care in virtually every manual car I've owned or driven, some are better than others, and I would say this is fairly far up there. So if you are really having trouble, I suggest you take it in to the dealer first because that doesn't sound normal. At least find out if there is anyhting specifically wrong with your unit before starting to throw aftermarket parts at the car to modify the 'feel', since you may just be covering up an actual problem in that case.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Sloppy Gearbox (silverA4quattro)

Quote, originally posted by silverA4quattro »

Not even close. These are cable shift FWD transmissions whereas the S4 (and A4) are longitudinal mounted rod linkage shifters.
I agree though, 1-2 isn't very satisfying on these gearboxes. Mine is grinding in the cold regardless of how smooth or slowly I shift.

I know, the comparison with the 01E trans was more sarcastic then serious because of its likeness to my current situation.
But yes, no matter how slow I shift it grinds as you stated. It's terrible.
I may go into the dealer and see if everything's cool. If it is, I'm going to try to get rid if that feel with a short shift (which I normally despise) or something else.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've been a manual person all my life and currently drive a 2008 Miata. My lease is up and I'm considering the GTI but I test drove the manual twice... and while any manual seems "disconnected" when you compare it to the miata.. this one REALLY felt vague to me. Yes, it has long throws but my other car (2008 mini cooper) has long throws too.. but the shift movement in the Getrag is mechanical in feel. I guess for me, great manual gearboxes make you feel like you are part of the machine. Oddly enough, I drove the manual yesterday back-to-back with the DSG (and I can't believe I'm saying this....) felt more connected to the car with the DSG. If you search google "2010 GTI manual vague" you'll pull up a number of reviews mentioning the long throws and disconnected feel. I'm so p*ssed off right now because based on specs, I was all set to go for the manual GTI.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Re: (jmatero)

Quote, originally posted by jmatero »
I guess for me, great manual gearboxes make you feel like you are part of the machine. Oddly enough, I drove the manual yesterday back-to-back with the DSG (and I can't believe I'm saying this....) felt more connected to the car with the DSG. If you search google "2010 GTI manual vague" you'll pull up a number of reviews mentioning the long throws and disconnected feel. I'm so p*ssed off right now because based on specs, I was all set to go for the manual GTI.

There's nothing like a direct linkage shifter, (love the new Miata shifter) if it's done right. But VW always had sloppy shifters from the factory... even my '77 Scirocco had a funky manual trans shift linkage... a few after maket toys always did the trick... but then again, maybe the plan all the while was to slowly design a *disconnected* feel into the MT linkage so the new DSG would feel wunderbar!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.