VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello TT community! I have been struggling to find the solution to my problem regarding my coolant loss. It's somewhat slow but I do need to top up pretty frequently. After a bit of driving it does smell of coolant (only at idle). The car doesn't overheat but my 49c reads at 99°C which is a bit high I realize. The water pump was just replaced 3 months ago so I don't believe it to be that. Any other known causes for this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
squeeze your coolant hoses at the front of the engine bay and listen closely if you can hear it leaking or air coming out of somewhere. The coolant temp sensor on the junction as well as your heater core hoses can be spots you might check.

·
Registered
652 Posts
The glass mat nylon flange and junction pieces will develop slow leaks/cracks over time.

Worm gear clamps are just asking for leaks. Make sure your lines are only using spring clamps.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Also their is a sensor in a junction between the pass side radiator and head. I find that it sometimes leaks. Usually from going cold to hot. The orange inside usually goes bad. After the car heats up it goes away

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello TT community! I have been struggling to find the solution to my problem regarding my coolant loss. It's somewhat slow but I do need to top up pretty frequently. After a bit of driving it does smell of coolant (only at idle). The car doesn't overheat but my 49c reads at 99°C which is a bit high I realize. The water pump was just replaced 3 months ago so I don't believe it to be that. Any other known causes for this?
Check your Auxilliary Water Pump. Mine crack over time. Easy to replace.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts