VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the smallest rim size that will fit on the Performance Package (PP) with it's upsized brakes? 17"? Some 17", not all?

I've heard that 16" rims will fit the regular GTI so I'm guessing 17" rims would fit over the upsized brakes on the PP but I'd like to confirm for sure.

I guess at this point feedback will come from people outside the US.....

·
Registered
2020 Porsche Macan GTS | 2001 Audi TT Quattro Roadster | 2019 VW Golf SE | 1993 VW Corrado SLC
6,322 Posts
At least some 17s WILL fit, the GTI Performance comes standard with the 17 inch "Brooklyn" wheel here in Germany.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
At least some 17s WILL fit
That's good news for people shopping for snow tire packages.

the GTI Performance comes standard with the 17 inch "Brooklyn" wheel here in Germany.
Had to Google that for a look. Eek - now I know there's a VW wheel I like even less than the Austin we get on the US model GTI.

But De gustibus non est disputandum and all that.

Neil

·
Registered
210 Posts
I thought 17" wheels of my Audi Quattro would fit the GTi PP, but calliper / rim clearance was about 0.5mm.. Far too close.
Had to buy 18" wheels which offer plenty of room around the calliper.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
That's good news for people shopping for snow tire packages.

Had to Google that for a look. Eek - now I know there's a VW wheel I like even less than the Austin we get on the US model GTI.

But De gustibus non est disputandum and all that.

Neil
I dont see why so many people hate the brooklyns. They are a bit plain but I think they make a nice looking winter wheel. Much better than the stupid steel wheels many on this forun insist upon...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
I need to do some researches on 17s in general for PP car. I am still planning to run 17s on the car when I get it, but I have no idea which ones would fit...

·
Registered
538 Posts
I need to do some researches on 17s in general for PP car. I am still planning to run 17s on the car when I get it, but I have no idea which ones would fit...
I bet the Neuspeed RSe5's will fit. That's what I have now and that is what I am slapping on the day I get my PP car.

Or, I guess I should say...they better ****ing fit! :D

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
I bet the Neuspeed RSe5's will fit. That's what I have now and that is what I am slapping on the day I get my PP car.

Well that's my concern also. I have a set of CE28N in 17s. According to Volk's website they don't fit on Golf R. I am not sure as to how they don't fit, if its something that needs spacer, or something more serious.

I am also looking into getting another set of wheels to mount my autoX specific tires, and I am looking into RPF1s. And I have no idea if those fits...

·
Registered
538 Posts
Well that's my concern also. I have a set of CE28N in 17s. According to Volk's website they don't fit on Golf R. I am not sure as to how they don't fit, if its something that needs spacer, or something more serious.

I am also looking into getting another set of wheels to mount my autoX specific tires, and I am looking into RPF1s. And I have no idea if those fits...
Well this is what Neuspeeds website says for the RSe5's...Compatible with Brembo, Stoptech and many other BBKs up to 345mm rotors without wheel spacers/adapters.

How big are the PP brakes again? 340mm?

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
I'm also looking for 17x7.5s to be legal for SCCA's "Street" class....since 7.5 width is the stock size...

RPF1 usually is the default option. It looks like otherwise I'd have to go OZ or something.

·
Registered
246 Posts

I use those on my MK6 R for winter wheels. I don't know if there is an offset difference with the MK7, but I would think they will fit a PP car.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I use those on my MK6 R for winter wheels. I don't know if there is an offset difference with the MK7, but I would think they will fit a PP car.
Thanks! That's good to know. I think I had heard that some were using them on the R before but I wasn't really sure.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm also looking for 17x7.5s to be legal for SCCA's "Street" class....since 7.5 width is the stock size...

RPF1 usually is the default option. It looks like otherwise I'd have to go OZ or something.
I had a quick look through the TireRack website for 17" rims to fit the 2015 GTI, most were 17x7.5 or 17x8. :( for winter rims. I only found one non-off brand which was narrower, 17x7:
Motegi MR116
Could actually be a sharp looking alloy winter rim for the GTI. :p

Unfortunately TireRack also insists on showing only winter tires in the size 225/45-17 when -1 17" is selected. Boo hiss. I was thinking something more along the lines of 205/50-17. :p

So how to know if a particular 17" rim will fit on the 2015 GTI with PP?

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
I would assume it would be a 17" and a tight fit too just like the R's
R supposedly has a bigger rotor, so it might be tighter on the R. I asked TR on why they didn't list RPF1 17x7.5 for R, they said the caliper clearance on that is only 2mm, so weights won't clear. I am guessing the barrel profile is different between that and the PF01. Too bad PF01 is a 17x8....

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
At least some 17s WILL fit, the GTI Performance comes standard with the 17 inch "Brooklyn" wheel here in Germany.
So if "Brooklyn" rims are 17" and come on the PP in Germany then some other 17" rims should also fit, right?

Good point about the wheel weights and clearance to the caliper, how much clearance is there with the Brooklyn rims to the PP calipers and where are the weights mounted? Would be nice if someone could post some pictures..... ;)

·
Registered
20,265 Posts
2007 Passat 3.6L 4MOtion's came standard with 17x7.5" "Le Mans" wheels.

it gets the 345mm x 30mm brakes up front with 310mm x 22mm vented rears in the back.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts