VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm new here. Have a 2019 Tiguan. Looking for advice.

A couple days ago, I noticed a cat pee like smell when I turn on my heater. I don't notice it when the recirculation is on. Could this problem still be from the cabin filter? I daily drive the Tig, so I don't think any critters could have really gotten into the engine bay. I'm stumped and it sinks so bad. Please help

·
Registered
890 Posts
Your fresh air intake is located in the cowl on the right side at the base of the windshield.
Pop your hood and double check that area.
It’s a very small gap for something to get in between the hood and the screen but if a cat or the like was on your vehicle, any liquid from the windshield would easily drain into that area as that’s how it sheds water from rain. There are 2 drains located 1 on each side of that cowl area. A mouse or small rodent could possibly get behind fender liner and up a drain, though that would be a challenge also

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was just considering buying a ‘15 tdi and did a bit of research on common problems. This was listed as one, so perhaps it’s an issue with the Tiguan as well. Apparently, it can be an issue with mould and mildew forming within the ac evaporator or hoses and whatnot (I don’t really know my cars that well). One “fix” I found was using a foaming cleaner that you get into the evaporator through the drain hose under the car. It could also be a clogged drain and using the foam cleaner would unclog any potential blockage.

Another video I found was using a cleaner that was put into the evaporator through a hose accessible from the inside
There are also many videos you can find that involve using a disinfectant like lysol or similar products specifically for vehicles. These are sprayed through the air intake outside the vehicle usually under the windshield.
Hope it’s just a dead mouse. Best of luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.