VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get my 97 GLX smogged and have a GIAC chip.
Do you all smog your car with the chip installed or do you put your stocker back in? I do not have the C.A.R.B sticker. I installed it around 7 months ago.
HELP!!
RotorBG
(Ben)

· Registered
4,352 Posts
I dont know the answear and would like to know to.
Some advice though. Go with your engine running warm to hot.
Do not go in with the engine cold. Drive around for a while and get it hot. This will burn more gasses when you go in for the test. Try to find a place where you can test quickly, try not to let your ride cool down too much.
Good luck and let us know.

· Registered
3,191 Posts
Re: (selfatvi)

Ben, have the car smogged with the chip in. There is no way for the smog tech to know its there and it won't cause you to fail. I had my car refereed with my AMS chip in with no problems.
selfatvi, its the catalytic converter that needs to stay hot. The hotter it is the more hydrocarbons it burns up.

· Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (_GoatPunishment_)

Hey Chris! Sound Good! I'll run it down to the "Smog Only" station and see how it does. I have never smogged a car with a Chip before and didn't know what to expect
Thanks!
Ben
(RotorBG)

· Registered
7,329 Posts
Re: (RotorBG)

A chip will not effect your smog test; I just had a smog with chip, cams, intake, header, and "performance" intake manifold (yes in California). He questioned the visual inspection, but ended up passing the car... clean as a whistle.

Modified by tachycardia at 9:29 PM 1-6-2004

· Registered
931 Posts
Re: (_GoatPunishment_)

Goat, just helpin ya out alittle, the cat actually reduces NOx better when hot, not neccesarily Hydrocarbons. The cat will reduce hydrocarbons when its cold to hot about the same, its NOx that is greatly affected by the temperature of the catalist.
So what the other guys said about driving your car hard and getting the Cat really hot is a good thing. Also, when you get out to do your paper work before the test, let the car idle and stay running before the test. LEGALLY the smog tech can NOT rev the vehicle before the test to get the car hot, he has to perform the test immediatly. This isnt always the case of course, but id do as i said if your worried about failing NOx. Good luck man.
Oh ya Goat, its getting closer.....

Modified by 03Jetta1.8T at 9:43 PM 1-6-2004

· Registered
6,142 Posts
Re: (tachycardia)

Quote, originally posted by tachycardia »
A chip will not effect your smog test; I just had a smog with chip, cams, intake, header, and "performance" intake manifold (yes in California). He questioned the visual inspection, but ended up passing the car... clean as a whistle.

Modified by tachycardia at 9:29 PM 1-6-2004

What a second...I didn't know they do visuals? What did you tell him? Did you tell him it was stock or modded?

· Registered
3,191 Posts
Re: (03Jetta1.8T)

Quote, originally posted by 03Jetta1.8T »
Goat, just helpin ya out alittle, the cat actually reduces NOx better when hot, not neccesarily Hydrocarbons. The cat will reduce hydrocarbons when its cold to hot about the same, its NOx that is greatly affected by the temperature of the catalist.
So what the other guys said about driving your car hard and getting the Cat really hot is a good thing. Also, when you get out to do your paper work before the test, let the car idle and stay running before the test. LEGALLY the smog tech can NOT rev the vehicle before the test to get the car hot, he has to perform the test immediatly. This isnt always the case of course, but id do as i said if your worried about failing NOx. Good luck man.
Oh ya Goat, its getting closer.....

Modified by 03Jetta1.8T at 9:43 PM 1-6-2004

Yeah thats right, I guess thats why I'm not a smog tech eh? All I could remember from the classes I had taken was the second stage of the catalytic converter. Thanks for correcting my error. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Yes I know its getting very close.

· Registered
7,329 Posts
Re: (87GolfKart)

Quote, originally posted by 87GolfKart »

What a second...I didn't know they do visuals? What did you tell him? Did you tell him it was stock or modded?

A visual inspection is a crucial component of the smog test. If you look at a current CA smog sheet, you will see how they look at a certain part and to see if it is present and functioning properly.
In my case, my car ran crystal clean on the emissions test, but I don't have an EGR -- so they failed me automatically (I just acted like I didn't know what an EGR is). I went down the street to another shop, told them the car didn't come with an EGR and the guy passed the car with no problems. He did, however, ask me for my carb exemption sticker for my P-Flo air intake. If I didn't have the carb sticker, he would've failed me due to visual.

Modified by tachycardia at 7:52 AM 1-7-2004

· Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (tachycardia)

Thanks everyone! Got the car smogged today near my work in Westminster (TKP Auto Smog) Passed no problem.

Thanks again for the input!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
RotorBG
(Ben)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.