VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I started with:

After a few hours with a hair dryer, this is what you get:

There are still a few moisture bubbles on the larger lights, I'm hoping it'll dry out and then flatten after a few days.
Here they are on the car: (damn rain)

Close-ups:

So far they slept outside in 30deg weather last night and didn't shrink back at all(knock wood) now they just need to dry out

What do you think.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Re: Smoked GTI tails...my lamin-x experience (94jetta~~)

i absolutely hate that the film only covers the outside surface and doesnt wrap around the edges of the tailight
it makes it look cheap, very unatractive.
laminx is a waste of your heard earned money

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (EvilWabbit)

Quote, originally posted by EvilWabbit »
Do you have to remove the tail lights or the film be put on the tail light while it is on the car?

I removed the lights, I don't think i'd have been able to do it with the lights on the car. There's to much stretching that needs to be done.
Anyway, I think the painted tails look good too either way i'm sure it'll turn out ok. I'm still not satisfied with how these look up close yet as there are still some pretty big bubbles but i'm really hoping that it'll dry up. As it sits now they're good from far, but far from good

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Smoked GTI tails...my lamin-x experience (ZoomBy)

Quote, originally posted by ZoomBy »
i absolutely hate that the film only covers the outside surface and doesnt wrap around the edges of the tailight
it makes it look cheap, very unatractive.
laminx is a waste of your heard earned money

good, thanks for your opinion http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif luckily it's my car

However in the future if some nice darker smoked tails come out i'd probably pick them up.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (EvilWabbit)

To remove the tail light it's only 4 10mm nuts, it'll take you about 5 mins max. Open your hatch and look up under the small lights you'll see a panel, remove it and then pop the bulb out. Take out the two 10mm nuts, it's easy with an open end wrench.
For the larger lights, you need to pull the carpeting back to expose them. Using a flat screwdriver pop out the spring clip to release the wire harness then remove the two 10mm nuts.
The material for the smaller inner lights was pretty good only minor stretching needed. The larger lights required about 1/4" or more in some spots. What I did was align one corner as best as I could, and then heated and pulled sections all the way across.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Re: Smoked GTI tails...my lamin-x experience (94jetta~~)

I've got laminxed head and tail lights. the bubbles on the tail lights have become unnoticeable, while u can still see em on the headlights. the headlights are a royal pain.
then again. I didn't take mine off the car when I put them on **** that.
check my myspace to see the pics of my car. the only difference now than from the pics is that my hubcaps are black.
http://www.myspace.com/chauffeur3421

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Smoked GTI tails...my lamin-x experience (hk_bladelaw_hk)

yea I'm expecting them to dry out and shrink up, especially with how much i stretched it. If not i'll yank it off and wait until some decent tails come out. Or try cracking open the lights and spray tinting from the inside.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.