VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curiuos as to how many of you use the nightshade spray or the adhesive 'smoked' film to place on top of lights vs. buying new lights that come with smoked lenses. which is better lookwise? overall? pricewise?(well thats obvious....) cant decide if i should buy new lights or just get the film. its basically like window tint, but on a smaller scale where u can easily take it off if you mess up/dont want it right? my car doesnt have fog lights so if i do get fogs ill just buy fogs/turns that are already smoked, but if i dont i either get smoked dummies/turns for about $130 or buy some film to cover em up. if i get the film, is it kinda tricky or fairly easy?

·
Registered
31 Posts
My lights are already smoaked, and I can say on dark paint schemes it looks good, but not on lighter scheems, too much contrast then. But look around and find some samples online or whatnot, and decide if it'd look good. everyone has their own tastes.

·
Registered
10,574 Posts
Re: (Myuki)

I had smoked turns (not Hella and didnt like the fit or shade) and Hella smoked dummies but took them both off b/c they didnt match each other and I wasnt happy running just one..... so I opted to go the cheap way and use NiteShades and am very very pleased with the results http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
The trick is all in the prep, take plenty of time to sand, smooth and clean, I went all the way to 1000 grit and cleaned afterwards with rubbing alcohol, after that it's all about very light coats of the stuff, I think i used like 3 or 4 thin coats, allowing each to dry for a few hrs before the next, then when I reached the desired darkness I applied a few coats of clear to protect and bring out a nice finish, some of the work was repetitive and boring but the end result was worth it (dont have any up close pics to show but like i said I'm very pleased with it)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: (LI_HXC_VR6)

For the $10 you'll spend on a can of NiteShades and sand paper you can't go wrong. The look is great http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif As LI_HXC_VR6 said just take your time while doing it.
I opted to keep the matte look from the sanding rather then spraying a clear finish on them (they haven't become lighter from not having it). I think the contrast of smooth lights and shiny paint is interesting and different. I can post pics of them if you want.
~Aleah

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.