VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Volkswagen GTI Perfomance DSG
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

I was wondering if there are aftermarket manufacturers offering a way to darken these side markers. I am in Canada and I am wondering the legality of doing this is.

Thanks

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m guessing he meant the wheel model? And they are the Pretoria wheels.
Sorry, I misunderstood. I did not know the model of the rims. This was a winter set up that my dealership made for me. I also have the 19” model for my summers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I reached out to IND about painted inserts and they have the correct part numbers and most of the paint codes. My request was for the blue R, but I also asked about Deep Black Pearl, so if that's what color your GTI is, they should already have the paint code. They're not cheap, I think around $200 CAD, and you technically would be breaking the law, but unless your mounties are a lot more strict than our cops, no one would ever notice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I reached out to IND about painted inserts and they have the correct part numbers and most of the paint codes. My request was for the blue R, but I also asked about Deep Black Pearl, so if that's what color your GTI is, they should already have the paint code. They're not cheap, I think around $200 CAD, and you technically would be breaking the law, but unless your mounties are a lot more strict than our cops, no one would ever notice.
Thanks Bentin. That is good to know. A bit on the expensive side. The GTI is Deep Black Pearl. I am guessing eventually there will be smoked versions of these side indicators. Will just have to patiently wait.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks Bentin. That is good to know. A bit on the expensive side. The GTI is Deep Black Pearl. I am guessing eventually there will be smoked versions of these side indicators. Will just have to patiently wait.
One of the Canadian Mk8 R owners had their tint shop smoke the reflectors. Probably the cheapest route, especially if you're already going to do window tint.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One of the Canadian Mk8 R owners had their tint shop smoke the reflectors. Probably the cheapest route, especially if you're already going to do window tint.
I just had my windows tinted before I picked up the car. I could always inquire about that though. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Badgeskins makes a side marker tint. Not sure of legality - that will depend on your local laws (and how strictly they are enforced). Not as elegant as getting painted reflectors, but much cheaper. Also does not require removal of the front bumper. VW,MK8,Golf,Front,Bumper,Side,Marker,Tint
Thanks for the link MK8. This is what I was looking for. Very affordable. I will have to find out the laws in my area. I have a feeling I might be alright.

·
Registered
17,643 Posts
I am in Canada and I am wondering the legality of doing this is.
The general conclusion I would arrive at is that if you modify a required lighting and reflective unit such that it no longer emits the same light (intensity and color) as originally intended/tested/certified and/or doesn't reflect the same light as originally intended/tested/certified, you stand good chance of that modification being illegal since the device will no longer perform as intended by the manufacturer.

So of course it's probably illegal. The risks you would have to evaluate as to what that means to you are safety and enforcement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I guess I will have to look into it more. The tint on my front passenger and driver door windows are tinted and they should not be where I live. I could be pulled over and asked to remove the tint. So I take a chance everyday when I drive.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Well, I guess I will have to look into it more. The tint on my front passenger and driver door windows are tinted and they should not be where I live. I could be pulled over and asked to remove the tint. So I take a chance everyday when I drive.
I would be surprised if most law enforcement knows that having an orange side reflector is a requirement in NA market.

I would worry more about window tint that does not meet local regulations or a not running a front license plate.

If money was no object, buy a European bumper and have it painted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would be surprised if most law enforcement knows that having an orange side reflector is a requirement in NA market.

I would worry more about window tint that does not meet local regulations or a not running a front license plate.

If money was no object, buy a European bumper and have it painted.
Thanks rjlem. I agree with law enforcement paying more attention to the windows. At the moment money is constrained, so the Badgeskins solution will do. I am curious what body kits will come out for this car though.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Corolla Hatch
943 Posts
When I had my MK6 Golf, I had a local shop spray my side markers and since it was such a small job, it was $40 cash under the table (was a mom and pop body repair place). They did an excellent job and I never had any issues when going in for yearly inspections in Missouri or when I moved back to Arizona.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've used nite-shades which any automotive store sells on many side markers over the years. Easy to use and you can make as light or dark as you want.
I would usually buy a second set to work with then replace them

Abarth has side markers I sprayed and the tail lights.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Vehicle Car Wheel Tire Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I had my MK6 Golf, I had a local shop spray my side markers and since it was such a small job, it was $40 cash under the table (was a mom and pop body repair place). They did an excellent job and I never had any issues when going in for yearly inspections in Missouri or when I moved back to Arizona.
Cool. I never thought of doing something like that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've used nite-shades which any automotive store sells on many side markers over the years. Easy to use and you can make as light or dark as you want.
I would usually buy a second set to work with then replace them

Abarth has side markers I sprayed and the tail lights.
Nice looking car. I have not decided what to do with the rear lights, yet. I did order from Badgeskins and will try out there smoked side markers solution.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts