VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
775 Posts
Re: Smoked tails...legal or illegal in California?? (bspaceman)

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html
specifically:
# Tail lights other than red (24600 VC).
# Illegal brake lights. Brake lights on vehicles newer than 1979 must be red (24603 VC). (Vehicles older than 1979 may be red or yellow.)
# Tail lights that incorporate a bulb with a red tint or coating. In general, custom tail lights that incorporate a clear outer shell and red inner lens are legal (24011 VC). If they don't incorporate reflectors, they must be added to the vehicle (24607 VC).
# Tail lights that are too dim, washed out or show yellow, white or other colors (24600 VC).

Modified by nameless at 9:49 PM 1-9-2004

· Registered
4,357 Posts
Re: Smoked tails...legal or illegal in California?? (excalvwbora)

i've got smoked hellas on my car, and they've been on for about 7 months now..... and i've recieved no trouble.... cops have actually pulled up next to me and said nice things about my tail lights.... basically chp and local police have more to worry about than weather your tail lights are illegal or not... just keep the regular bulb color and you'll be happy.

· Registered
10,204 Posts
Re: Smoked tails...legal or illegal in California?? (nameless)

Quote, originally posted by nameless »
If they don't incorporate reflectors, they must be added to the vehicle (24607 VC).

This means if you did not use the provided red reflector they are NOT street legal. Hella Smoked Tails have NO red reflective surfaces. They light up red but do not reflect red.

· Registered
10,204 Posts
Re: Smoked tails...legal or illegal in California?? (formerly vr6 karl)

Quote, originally posted by formerly vr6 karl »
i could be wrong.....but on the outside of the lens...it should have a DOT stamp....im taking it that if its DOT compliant you're ok

They won't have a DOT stamp if they're Not DOT apporoved. And they're not.

· Registered
1,555 Posts

Quote, originally posted by bspaceman »
I keep hearing conflicting stories on this. Getting Hellas this weekend but I don't want $300 tix. Some say it's legal, some don't. Any experience?
breaker, breaker 1,9.......that's a big NEG-atory on that......smoked tails (or anything that doesnt have a DOT stamp on them) are illegal, now weather or not you're gonna get a ticket for em is another matter.....and largely the answer is no.........a cop would have to be awefully well informed about what came on yer car as stock eq. and specifically what the law is to give you a ticket for that........they just want to see that yer lights are burned out and that they light up red

· Banned
25,723 Posts
Re: Smoked tails...legal or illegal in California?? (nbrooke23)

Quote, originally posted by nbrooke23 »
breaker, breaker 1,9.......that's a big NEG-atory on that......smoked tails (or anything that doesnt have a DOT stamp on them) are illegal, now weather or not you're gonna get a ticket for em is another matter.....and largely the answer is no.........a cop would have to be awefully well informed about what came on yer car as stock eq. and specifically what the law is to give you a ticket for that........they just want to see that yer lights are burned out and that they light up red

Well you learn something new everyday......

· Registered
4,118 Posts

breaker, breaker 1,9.......that's a big NEG-atory on that......smoked tails (or anything that doesnt have a DOT stamp on them) are illegal, now weather or not you're gonna get a ticket for em is another matter.....and largely the answer is no......... a cop would have to be awefully well informed about what came on yer car as stock eq. and specifically what the law is to give you a ticket for that ........they just want to see that yer lights are burned out and that they light up red

all the cop has to do is look for the DOT stamp. no stamp, not legal.

· Registered
10,204 Posts
Re: (bLaCkg60jetrado)

Quote, originally posted by bLaCkg60jetrado »
i have the hella smoked light they are legal because the brake lights are still red it doesnt change any of that.ive never been pulled over or anything

You are unfortunately misinformed. They LIGHT red. They don't REFLECT red. Therefore they are NOT legal. I personally have been warned about them by police before. And I have at least 1 friend who has been cited.

· Registered
1,555 Posts
Re: Smoked tails...legal or illegal in California?? (A1pocketrocket)

Quote, originally posted by A1pocketrocket »
all the cop has to do is look for the DOT stamp. no stamp, not legal.
agreed but is he really gonna pull you over to look at yer tails for a DOT stamp if he wasnt reasonably sure already that yer tails were illegal?......probably not, now if you had already been pulled over for something else and he was suspicious on yer tails you might get a ticket for that but even then..........i doubt it

· Registered
775 Posts

agreed but is he really gonna pull you over to look at yer tails for a DOT stamp if he wasnt reasonably sure already that yer tails were illegal?......probably not, now if you had already been pulled over for something else and he was suspicious on yer tails you might get a ticket for that but even then..........i doubt it

it depends on how outrageous your car is. if you keep it mild they won't just randomly pull you over for taillights. But you might get tagged for it if they pull you over for speeding or something else. I say this because a friend of mine kept getting pulled over cause he's got one of those big cf wings on his car and the cops would always give him crap about the lighting extras.

· Registered
10,204 Posts

Oh and depending on how pissed of you make the cop your car could be impounded.

Why? Because vehicle lighting is a "SAFETY issue". If the same officer pulls you over for the same vehicle safety issue more than twice without being repaired they can impound your car.

· Registered
650 Posts

You don't have to worry so much about if they are technically legal or not, as much as how much attention they'll attract in conjunction with the rest of your car.

I have smoked lights that i tinted even further. They are practically black w/o the lights on, but at night and during braking they look perfectly red, no problem. A lot of guys I know have tinted their regular or smoked tailights. I've never heard of anyone with tinted/smoked tail lights getting pulled over exclusively for that.
Now if you're speeding and got all kinds of other illegal stuff going on like a loud exhaust, tinted windows, ridiculously loud stereo, europlate in the rear or no front plate, etc... and you get pulled over, the cop will probably choose throw dark taillights in as part of your citation.
But just the smoked taillights themselves, not tinted further, you shouldn't ever run into problems.
UNLESS.... you yourself are a little too dark and are driving in a nice neighborhood. That's when you'll get the ole' "Yeah, you match the description of a suspicious vehicle in the area. Do you have any warrants?"

Modified by cacho at 1:36 AM 1-11-2004

· Registered
4,118 Posts

Quote, originally posted by nameless »

it depends on how outrageous your car is. if you keep it mild they won't just randomly pull you over for taillights. But you might get tagged for it if they pull you over for speeding or something else. I say this because a friend of mine kept getting pulled over cause he's got one of those big cf wings on his car and the cops would always give him crap about the lighting extras.

sounds like he deserves more than just a ticket

· Registered
12,980 Posts
Re: Smoked tails...legal or illegal in California?? (A1pocketrocket)

I'll say this much it's illegal and if a cop wants to pull you over for it they will. You are just given them a reason to f with you. When I had no front plate I got pulled over 2 times a month mostly by CHP late night. They used it as a probable cause to see if I was drunk etc but never cited me for anything.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.