VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, there's not much about smoothness of chips. Everyone cares about POWER.... but I like drivability and smoothness more.
What I have found is that on most chips, the power comes TOO MUCH, TOO SOON... I like to have a more gradual boost increase. So, WHICH chip (APR, Revo, GIAC, Neuspeed, Ups, Wett, etc....) actually does that. Bascially, which one has the CLOSEST parallel curve to stock?
I know this is something that chip companies don't care too much about since a sudden power increase gives a fake impression about power and some exhiliration to the driver and chips are probably designed to exploit that...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Re: Smoothest chip... in terms of gradual power increase (alexb75)

Upsolute is good. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
150 Posts
Re: Smoothest chip... in terms of gradual power increase (machx0r)

look at the upper left of the screen, all you need to know

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Re: Smoothest chip... in terms of gradual power increase (Rayb337)

If you want "smoother" boost get rid of the KO3S.

·
Banned
7,500 Posts
Considering the lackluster whp numbers ive seen on revo, id say, yup. Go with revo.

Pay twice as much as upsolute for APR's software.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Re: Smoothest chip... in terms of gradual power increase (Rayb337)

Quote, originally posted by Rayb337 »
look at the upper left of the screen, all you need to know

I agree.
I have had two chips. Giac and Revo.
Revo is great, power is smooth as butter http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,365 Posts

APR v2 is very smooth. the APR K04 file is not quite as smooth, but very close. even my wife likes it

·
Registered
6,659 Posts

I've found my GIAC v11 to be super-smooth.. Especially coming from v5.. it's by far the smoothest GIAC I've ever driven...

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I've had Upsolute and APR. When I switched to APR my car felt slower due to the more progressive power delivery. APR v2 is the smoothest I've experienced

·
Banned
12,870 Posts
Re: Smoothest chip... in terms of gradual power increase (VWGolfA4)

Quote, originally posted by VWGolfA4 »
Im going to have to say GIAC.

Driven them all, but still think GIAC is the smoothest and most powerful on the top end. All this is assuming the weakest link, aka the N75, isn't surging or causing other problems.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Re: Smoothest chip... in terms of gradual power increase (VDUBNDizzy)

i think it really depends on the car and its supporting components. my REVO wasn't smooth and i could never get it figured out, but i've driven other REVO cars that felt WAY smoother than the GIAC and Upsolute cars i've been in.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Smoothest chip... in terms of gradual power increase (cbring)

Thanks for all the replies. Anyone with HP charts to support their claims?
I think the key to a good chip is mostly its smoothness. I have driven Neuspeed, GIAC (on Audi), and Revo. I found most of them not to be smooth and the power delivery was fairly sudden, Neuspeed was the best, but it's probably because it provides less HP than the others.
When the power delivery is sudden, it really screws up the drivability. I like the power to come gradually as opposed to a sudden increase in boost, like stock. It's just a matter of algorithm and if anyone got it right.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Re: Smoothest chip... in terms of gradual power increase (Nessal)

Quote, originally posted by Nessal »
If you want "smoother" boost get rid of the KO3S.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Re: Smoothest chip... in terms of gradual power increase (cdubgti)

I've had Wett, APR, and Giac. (all on 91 oct)
Wett was by far the smoothest yet least powerful.
APR was good and very consistent. Steady and reliable with no problems. Good all around program with no suprises.
My current Giac V11a produces the most power and is incredibley smooth (but not as good as the Wett). If it wasn't for the fluctuating throttle plate at 5200rpm plus, I'd promote GIAC a lot more.
Also, when matched to the stock 'F' N75 valve, the throttle response with the GIAC V11a file is the best of any I have ever felt which is a big bonus on the autocross course.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Smoothest chip... in terms of gradual power increase (Crash6)

Quote, originally posted by Crash6 »
I've had Wett, APR, and Giac. (all on 91 oct)
Wett was by far the smoothest yet least powerful.
APR was good and very consistent. Steady and reliable with no problems. Good all around program with no suprises.
My current Giac V11a produces the most power and is incredibley smooth (but not as good as the Wett). If it wasn't for the fluctuating throttle plate at 5200rpm plus, I'd promote GIAC a lot more.
Also, when matched to the stock 'F' N75 valve, the throttle response with the GIAC V11a file is the best of any I have ever felt which is a big bonus on the autocross course.

So, r u sayin that GIAC is smoother than APR or vice versa?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts

So subjective.
More than just the chip affects boost pressure too.
Its a useless discussion...

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Smoothest chip... in terms of gradual power increase (Kor)

Quote, originally posted by Kor »
So subjective.
More than just the chip affects boost pressure too.
Its a useless discussion...

OK!!!
So, give me a recipe to achieve smoothness. X,Y,Z Chip + WHAT ELSE... to make it as smooth as possible?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts

Well, I would say a VR6 is smoooooth all the way to redline.

There is no recipie that is perfect, you are modifying a car piecemeal not engineering it to a specification. VW did the absolute best they could with the 1.8T in stock form, to make it appeal to the most drivers. It will never be like that - it will be different. You can't get something for nothing.
There are so many factors that I don't really want to get into it. The wastegate is part of the problem. The way that the N75 valve operates the wastegate is another part of the problem. Chip is another part of the problem. The turbo is part of the problem. Did you know that your exhaust back pressure affects the spring rate that keeps the wastegate closed... everything is related.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts