VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st Snow day of 2020, & 1st snow experience with the Tiguan.
Must say I was sceptical when I purchased this Tiguan regarding it capabilities, as coming from a Jeep Grand Cherokee and Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk, which im my option are class leaders in the off road SUV segment.
But wow this think is like a Sherman Tank .
Very Impressed as Tire on the Tiguan were some Giti ( Who know where these are made ) all seasons.
There was at least 1foot of snow, everywhere plus the snow banks from recently plowed streets.
Kept the Tiguan in Auto Mode for its 1st to me maiden voyage.
Again Really Impressed as thought, what does VW know about all wheel drive.
This thing is a beast. I can only image in it had better tires that were snow rated.

Have fun in the snow today People, I know I did.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Always a cool commercial to see again and again. Keep in mind, that version of Quattro was all mechanical. Today's version for VW isn't the same.

Reactions: Reihenmotor5

·
Registered
2022 Tiguan SE-RLine 4MO
191 Posts
Must say I was sceptical when I purchased this Tiguan regarding it capabilities, as coming from a Jeep Grand Cherokee and Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk, which im my option are class leaders in the off road SUV segment.
Very Impressed as Tire on the Tiguan were some Giti ( Who know where these are made ) all seasons.
There was at least 1foot of snow, everywhere plus the snow banks from recently plowed streets.
This thing is a beast. I can only image in it had better tires that were snow rated.

Yes, I ran the OEM Giti tires (made in Indonesia) on my 2019 SE for 40K miles and was very impressed by their winter traction. I eventually installed Michelin X-Ice, dedicated snow tires that were even better but for an inexpensive all-season tire, the Gitis were hard to beat.

·
Registered
2019 Atlas SEL V6
3,890 Posts
Always a cool commercial to see again and again. Keep in mind, that version of Quattro was all mechanical. Today's version for VW isn't the same.
Yea I just love that commercial. They did it again I believe in ‘91 with an A8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts

Yeah, I can relate to that this morning in the GTA, my first heavy snow fall in my first Tiguan.

I saw ALOT of cars got stuck, side roads, on and off ramps. It seems the SUVs and larger pickups has no issues.

I used the SNOW dial and i let the car do it things as I applied gas and steering.

But i wouldn't go tried much higher snow banks still....

·
Registered
3,345 Posts

Being good offroad means being good offroad. Volkswagen and Audi are infamous for their behaviors on road. I wouldn't ever want to reverse the two. Yes, Audi has rich rally history I'm aware. Volkswagen are intense in the snow. Nothing better other than quattro.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Took the Tiguan for it's first major drive in the snow the other day. I also live in the GTA. I installed Continental Viking Contact 7 winter tires. I live in an area with some hills. Never took the car out of "auto mode" and the car drove flawlessly even up some steep hills. Very happy with both my purchases.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jeep has the best 4-wheel drive system in the world, but like all 4-wheel drives, you have to manually engage the differential and there's no real power exchanged between wheels with/without traction.

There are two different types of All Wheel Drive, Full Time, and Part Time. Full Time AWD is when all four wheels drive the car at the same time and power is constantly monitored and adjusted by the car's computer system, (Audi, Subaru, Porsche.)
Part Time AWD is when the car is driven by only two wheels, most of the time, and a differential is engaged when the car senses traction loss on the main differential. (VW, and everyone else?)
Audi is the leader of full time All Wheel Drive, followed by Subaru and Acura.
VW's 4-Motion is a Halidex part time all wheel drive system that isn't the best, but it's pretty damn effective. I got to test it out on my 2020 Tiguan last February, during the Texas snow storm and it really held up.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Jeep has the best 4-wheel drive system in the world, but like all 4-wheel drives, you have to manually engage the differential and there's no real power exchanged between wheels with/without traction.

There are two different types of All Wheel Drive, Full Time, and Part Time. Full Time AWD is when all four wheels drive the car at the same time and power is constantly monitored and adjusted by the car's computer system, (Audi, Subaru, Porsche.)
Part Time AWD is when the car is driven by only two wheels, most of the time, and a differential is engaged when the car senses traction loss on the main differential. (VW, and everyone else?)
Audi is the leader of full time All Wheel Drive, followed by Subaru and Acura.
VW's 4-Motion is a Halidex part time all wheel drive system that isn't the best, but it's pretty damn effective. I got to test it out on my 2020 Tiguan last February, during the Texas snow storm and it really held up.
Lmao the **** are you on about

Lamborghini uses the same exact AWD setup and haldex as vag uses.

Audi and Volkswagen have used NUMEROUS varieties of all wheel drive over the years with different forms of haldex and torsen differentials.

The all wheel drive in Volkswagen is light-years better than a Jeep for on road daily driving use. They can shift torque fore and aft and limit wheel speed to slipping tires in a nanosecond. Jeep does not.

Your Tiguan all drive is full time all wheel drive lmao. If you are unhappy with how your Tiguan phases torque to the front wheels to save gas ( while coasting, and a few other circumstances) just buy a more aggressive haldex controller that better suites your needs

The symmetrical all wheel drive of Subaru is nice but vag is far better in the snow. It's much easier to get into trouble with the symmetrical all wheel drive vs the 4-Mo... The haldex controllers on the vag products is very quick to shift torque, modulate wheel speed etc in an effort to keep the car going straight

If I'm going 80 on the highway in a snow storm in a haldex vag, if i floor it then crank the wheel left, the tsc and other programs will mechanically actually the brakes and suspension in such a way that I will not go sideways or loose control. If you do the same activity in a symmetrical AWD, the car jumps sideways and will do nothing at keeping you straight. Same with Jeep.

Finally. The super handling all wheel drive in Acura is great for track racing with it's vectoring all wheel drive, it's "good" for snow driving, but it's not vag good. I would know. I've owned varieties of all of the above.

·
Registered
422 Posts

If I'm going 80 on the highway in a snow storm in a haldex vag, if i floor it then crank the wheel left, the tsc and other programs will mechanically actually the brakes and suspension in such a way that I will not go sideways or loose control. ...
Can the traction control actuate the suspension in our Tiguans? I didn't think that was possible.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I don't know anything about the mqb platform, just here from the new threads page. Plenty of control systems are in place regardless, that will keep you going in inclement weather

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lmao the **** are you on about

Lamborghini uses the same exact AWD setup and haldex as vag uses.

Audi and Volkswagen have used NUMEROUS varieties of all wheel drive over the years with different forms of haldex and torsen differentials.

The all wheel drive in Volkswagen is light-years better than a Jeep for on road daily driving use. They can shift torque fore and aft and limit wheel speed to slipping tires in a nanosecond. Jeep does not.

Your Tiguan all drive is full time all wheel drive lmao. If you are unhappy with how your Tiguan phases torque to the front wheels to save gas ( while coasting, and a few other circumstances) just buy a more aggressive haldex controller that better suites your needs

The symmetrical all wheel drive of Subaru is nice but vag is far better in the snow. It's much easier to get into trouble with the symmetrical all wheel drive vs the 4-Mo... The haldex controllers on the vag products is very quick to shift torque, modulate wheel speed etc in an effort to keep the car going straight

If I'm going 80 on the highway in a snow storm in a haldex vag, if i floor it then crank the wheel left, the tsc and other programs will mechanically actually the brakes and suspension in such a way that I will not go sideways or loose control. If you do the same activity in a symmetrical AWD, the car jumps sideways and will do nothing at keeping you straight. Same with Jeep.

Finally. The super handling all wheel drive in Acura is great for track racing with it's vectoring all wheel drive, it's "good" for snow driving, but it's not vag good. I would know. I've owned varieties of all of the above.

Hey, instead of being an A-hole to an actual mechanic, maybe you should verify your facts first.

Haldex is a system that converts 2-wheel drive to AWD when traction loss is detected.

How Haldex work.

Even more info.

And I never compared Volkswagen's AWD to Jeeps 4x4 because they are 2 completely different systems.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Hey, instead of being an A-hole to an actual mechanic, maybe you should verify your facts first.

Haldex is a system that converts 2-wheel drive to AWD when traction loss is detected.

How Haldex work.

Even more info.

And I never compared Volkswagen's AWD to Jeeps 4x4 because they are 2 completely different systems.
hahahahaha... alright "mr mechanic"... haldex doesn't "convert" to awd. Haldex is used in situations where you have a transverse engine (that means, front wheel drive facing engines as opposed to longitudinal, mr mechanic) and you simply cannot use torsen (Like the Audi's do). I've owned haldex and torsen awd cars for a few decades now. I'm somewhat familiar with how they operate.

And you literally compared haldex to a jeep.. its in your post. I quoted it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
...The symmetrical all wheel drive of Subaru is nice but vag is far better in the snow. It's much easier to get into trouble with the symmetrical all wheel drive vs the 4-Mo....

Can't write a book it about or explain it in your technical terms but I own both a 2018 Subaru Forester and a 2019 VW Tiguan and let me tell you that the Subaru is an animal in the snow and the VW isn't in its class. I live in South Dakota and I know what snow is and what it takes to get through it.

And to even say "going 80 in a snow storm" says you don't have a clue about snow.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I too own a WRX (well, sold now..). The Torsen in my Audi's and in my Touareg is lightyears better than the WRX. The problem with the Tiguan is its so light but so large. It also depends on the generation Tiguan and the haldex controller its running.

I live in ski country in Buffalo, where we average 17' of snowfall per year. Lake effect snow is like nothing you've ever seen in the Dakota's. I know plenty about snow.

·
Registered
2022 Tiguan SE-RLine 4MO
191 Posts
Here in Denver we've received some much needed snow during the past week. I know the "snowflake" mode receives a fair amount of flak for lower power as it is short-shifting to keep the torque low to reduce wheel-spin, but it works quite well for me. Curious if anyone knows if it also locks the rear diff or it's only locking on-demand when wheelspin is detected.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts